Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:59 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
At a recent meeting with the Wall Street Journal editorial board, Republican presidential candidate John McCain admitted he "doesn't really understand economics" and then pointed to his adviser and former Senate colleague, Phil Gramm - whom he had brought with him to the meeting - as the expert he turns to on the subject, The Huffington Post has learned.
Short On Economic Understanding, McCain Brings Phil Gramm to Meeting - Politics on The Huffington Post

Compare that to what he is saying now!

Quote:
A McCain official said: “Phil Gramm’s comments are not representative of John McCain’s views. John McCain travels the country every day talking to Americans who are hurting, feeling pain at the pump and worrying about how they’ll pay their mortgage. That’s why he has a realistic plan to deliver immediate relief at the gas pump, grow our economy and put Americans back to work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 12:02 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Ahhhhh. Class envy. How is that working out for you?

We have become a nation that includes A LOT of whiners. The majority are not, but lots of groups, including the far left, racial "victims", women that want to be paid the same as a man without putting in the same time and effort, the new "disabled" (those with issues that think everyone else must make accomodations for their shortcommings), etc. are certainly whiners.

The economy is not horrid. Real estate will rebound. Gas prices will either drop or drilling in Anwar/new technology will ease the situation. Those who were not realistic with mortgages or went crazy with credit will hopefully learn and start budgeting.

Nobody is ever going to care more about you than you. This is reality. Another reality is that the majority of Americans are not looking for Big Govt to save them. Most take care of themselves and their families and want it that way.

And yet another reality is that more and more American's are caring less and less about the whining victims. The trough is about dry on that one. No, we don't care if you're great, great, great grandaddy was a slave...you will be judged the sames as the great, great, great grandson of a Chinese immigrant that toiled endlessly on the railroads or the great, great, great grandaughter of an Irish immigrant that was treated like dirt when they landed in NYC 150 years ago.

Out of work, still having lots of children without benefit of marriage or a decent job? Your life will be pretty uncomfortable and you will be a social pariah.

Bratty kids with suspect diagnosis that hold up air-planes? Off the plane. NOW.

The majority of responsible adults in this country will be just fine, thanks. The whining victims are starting to annoy and are receiving less and less attention, $$$ or sympathy.

Like little spoiled children, the whining VICTIMS WHO MUST BE HEARD will no doubt amp up. But like good parents we as a country are learning to ignore them as this is the only way the kiddies learn self reliance.

Of course, we will take a huge step backwards if Mr. Obama is elected. He of the nanny state, redistribution of wealth and punisher of the hard working. But, it's looking like that is unlikely lately. The Wizard's curtain is being pulled back every day and what is behind it is not too special.
It's not whining if your complaints are legit - and I think the current economic woes are legit.

A lot of people are hurting and angry and a lot more are scared of what may be to come.

Are YOU whining when you complain that Obama will lead the nation to ruin?

Ken

Old 07-10-2008, 12:03 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Didn't he say
gramm was the smartest man he knows about economics?

Old 07-10-2008, 12:13 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
What kind of arrogant, elitist crap is that?!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:31 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post

Gramm calls slowdown 'mental' - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080710/pl_politico/11658;_ylt=Apry1hE3cFJQBi9Vm0rHp49snwcF - broken link)

McCain released a statement saying what Phil said wasn't representative of what he believes.
Ya but he was ASSOCIATED with him...he IS him...they are in agreement..they must be, they KNOW each other!

Old 07-10-2008, 02:52 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It's not whining if your complaints are legit - and I think the current economic woes are legit.

A lot of people are hurting and angry and a lot more are scared of what may be to come.

Are YOU whining when you complain that Obama will lead the nation to ruin?

Ken
I don't think it is whining if complaints are legit. I just don't think it serves anyone well to blame others for things in our control. I think protesting these sky rocketing gas prices is a common complaint and legit. I think the American people are justifiably angry and disapointed in govt for not having drilled in Anwar years ago.

I think complaining about a mortgage that is resetting to an amount you can not pay and wanting a govt bail out is indeed whining.

I think blaming race for your shortcomings is whining. I think BLAMING others for our misfortunes is usually whining and too many do it.

I want true VICTIMS to be cared for and helped.

I don't want Obama to become president as I see him enabling weakness and the whining that comes with weakness.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:49 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Fannie May and Freddie Mac need to stop whining!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:54 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Ahhhhh. Class envy. How is that working out for you?

We have become a nation that includes A LOT of whiners. The majority are not, but lots of groups, including the far left, racial "victims", women that want to be paid the same as a man without putting in the same time and effort, the new "disabled" (those with issues that think everyone else must make accomodations for their shortcommings), etc. are certainly whiners.

The economy is not horrid. Real estate will rebound. Gas prices will either drop or drilling in Anwar/new technology will ease the situation. Those who were not realistic with mortgages or went crazy with credit will hopefully learn and start budgeting.

Nobody is ever going to care more about you than you. This is reality. Another reality is that the majority of Americans are not looking for Big Govt to save them. Most take care of themselves and their families and want it that way.

And yet another reality is that more and more American's are caring less and less about the whining victims. The trough is about dry on that one. No, we don't care if you're great, great, great grandaddy was a slave...you will be judged the sames as the great, great, great grandson of a Chinese immigrant that toiled endlessly on the railroads or the great, great, great grandaughter of an Irish immigrant that was treated like dirt when they landed in NYC 150 years ago.

Out of work, still having lots of children without benefit of marriage or a decent job? Your life will be pretty uncomfortable and you will be a social pariah.

Bratty kids with suspect diagnosis that hold up air-planes? Off the plane. NOW.

The majority of responsible adults in this country will be just fine, thanks. The whining victims are starting to annoy and are receiving less and less attention, $$$ or sympathy.

Like little spoiled children, the whining VICTIMS WHO MUST BE HEARD will no doubt amp up. But like good parents we as a country are learning to ignore them as this is the only way the kiddies learn self reliance.

Of course, we will take a huge step backwards if Mr. Obama is elected. He of the nanny state, redistribution of wealth and punisher of the hard working. But, it's looking like that is unlikely lately. The Wizard's curtain is being pulled back every day and what is behind it is not too special.
All I have to say to this is wow wow wow WOW...I have so many words to say but I'll be nice.

I sincerely do not believe all Americans think like you. I sure hope McCain is not elected if he has followers like you who call autism a "suspect diagnosis". I would love to be the fly on the wall when you tell this to mothers who have autistic children. They would rip you to shreds.

Come off of it already!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:03 AM

540 posts, read 962,776 times
I was watching MSNBC this morning (I'm a conservative, but I can't help myself - It's like a train wreck - as much as it irritates me, I just can't not watch it). Anyways, they were talking about the Gramm flap and they all came to a consensus - It was a political mistake and it'll hurt McCain, but there is a lot of truth in it. Americans have gotten spoiled over the last twenty to thirty years. We want everything and we want it now and anything that slows down the economy to the point that we can't keep up with the Jones' is unacceptable. They mentioned that a large portion of the rebate checks that went out payed for new flat screen TVs at Walmart.

I tend to agree - there are people out there hurting, but the number of people that are truelly struggling with housing, food, and medical care (the only true necessities) is not that great. But, we all want our big screen TVs, our IPhones, and our nice shiny cars - and we want them now. What Gramm said wasn't new - it's been all over the news the last couple of weeks that a lot of the problems really may just be selp-propetuating problems that the media itself has fed.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:07 AM

509 posts, read 691,572 times
suck it up!

Dow drops below 11,000 for 1st time in 2 years -- chicagotribune.com

Dow drops below 11,000 for 1st time in 2 years
By TIM PARADIS | AP Business Writer
11:41 AM CDT, July 11, 2008
NEW YORK - Wall Street sank further into a bear market Friday as investors dumped stocks in response to troubles at mortgage companies Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and oil's continuing climb into record territory. The Dow Jones industrials fell more than 200 points and slid below the 11,000 mark for the first time in two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections