Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:20 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,719 times

Advertisements

hal512, I would be careful with your comments, you're subtly treading racist remarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 03:39 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal512 View Post
You need a hobby or a spouse or something better to occupy you warped mind. While the White House has been dominated by a Republican the House and Senate have not. The congress has been controlled by the dems for 42 out of the last 50 years. Last time I checked the congress was the branch of government that ammends/debates and votes on bills the presidents only job is to sign the bill into law.
What we have here is a serious gap in comprehension.

Quote:
Tough to get anything done when the two parties only bicker for power and control. Why does that happen, because libs spread the doom and gloom story and many inner city folks are lazy and looking for a hand out and my 48.75% in taxes looks pretty good to them so they vote for the dems.

All federal enforcement functions are the responsibility of the administrations, not congress. I thought you understood that.

Oh, btw - Republicans controlled congress from 1994 to 2006. More than the eight years you've cited. They hold a firm majority in the Supreme Court. As previously stated, they've held the White House for 28 of the past 40 years. And in the past couple of decades, they've had the majority of state governors, too. It's been an extraordinarily Republican era. But you claim America's problems are the result of "the libs." Care to speculate as to why the Republicans (who've been holding the reigns for so long) haven't addressed these issues, other than to turn away from conservatism and raise bogus banners like "family values" and "flag burning" in order to inflame the emotions of good Americans in order to divert their attention? As long as you keep mindlessly following the Limbaugh line that "it's the libs' fault", you'll never get your eye on the ball.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:41 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You sound like you-know-who!
  • Make Math and Science Education a National Priority: Obama will recruit math and science degree graduates to the teaching profession and will support efforts to help these teachers learn from professionals in the field. He will also work to ensure that all children have access to a strong science curriculum at all grade levels.
I try to avoid an either/or approach to solving the problems of this country. There are questions of individual responsibility and questions of societal responsibility to be dealt with. The best example is an education. I'm going to insist that we've got decent funding, enough teachers, and computers in the classroom, but unless you turn off the television set and get over a certain anti-intellectualism that I think pervades some low-income communities, our children are not going to achieve.
Already, China is graduating eight times as many engineers as we are. By twelfth grade, our children score lower on math and science tests than most other kids in the world. And we now have one of the highest high school dropout rates of any industrialized nation in the world.
Well I do not accept this future for America. I do not accept an America where we do nothing about six million students who are reading below their grade level - an America where sixty percent of African-American fourth graders aren’t even reading at the basic level.
I do not accept an America where only twenty percent of our students are prepared to take college-level classes in English, math, and science - where barely one in ten low-income students will ever graduate from college.
I do not accept an America where we do nothing about the fact that half of all teenagers are unable to understand basic fractions - where nearly nine in ten African-American and Latino eighth graders are not proficient in math. I do not accept an America where elementary school kids are only getting an average of twenty-five minutes of science each day when we know that over 80% of the fastest-growing jobs require a knowledge base in math and science.
This kind of America is morally unacceptable for our children. It’s economically untenable for our future. And it’s not who we are as a country.
Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Education

Sorry such a long cut and paste - I just like those two speeches. Plans for achievement are at the Obama website.

So he can start to flip flop again....change we have seen so much that he doesn't know what he is talking about...
He doesn't even know how many States the USA has..., or is the excuse that he was tired...
He immediately regreted having his family on ET, and said he shouldn't have done that and it wouldn't happen again, is that how he wants to be the leader....

Old 07-12-2008, 05:44 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
hal512, I would be careful with your comments, you're subtly treading racist remarks.
Really? I don't see anything of the sort. Who made you Mod?

Old 07-12-2008, 05:47 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
As previously stated, they've held the White House for 28 of the past 40 years.
Since 1980, 20 of the last 28 in the WH.

Who has controlled congress 44 of the last 58 years?

Republican controlled the house 1994 to 2006.

During the same time the Senate has gone back and forth between the two.

The foundations have been laid down by the democrats, many years ago.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:48 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
You claim to be of foreign origin, so your confusion concerning American government is natural, I suppose.

The Justice Dept is an administration funtion. Besides, the illegal problem has existed long before Democrats took control of Congress 18 months ago.

Care to try again? Or have you used up your entire magazine of possible responses?
America is a beautiful country and one of the most powerful and I happen to live here and I'm proud to bring my kids up in this wonderful Country!

So i have a lot of trouble hearing a angry women saying that she is proud for the first time in her adult life...while she had a chance to attend the best schools, which many others only could dream about or can remember by getting the rejection letter in the mail after applying for the school. She should be ashamed.
I know how difficult it can be to obtain visa's and how Homeland Security is checking backgrounds, but criminals always have been finding ways to get a step ahead....

I also know that Bill Clinton was in office (dem.) for 8 years and he was the joke of Europe....every night we could watch the next soap about how he made a fool out of his family and the oval office....we also saw how he had a chance to get Osama Bin Laden and didn't take that chance and we all know what happened.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:49 PM

351 posts, read 336,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
How are facts and life experiences racist? I didn't call Texas a "Black Hole". We all know that using scientific terms is now racist. I guess my comment to you is Cállate la boca!
FAIR: Costs of Illegal Immigration to Texans: Executive Summary
19 plead guilty to misuing Social Security cards to work at Texas poultry plant - International Herald Tribune

Last edited by hal512; 07-12-2008 at 06:10 PM..

Old 07-12-2008, 05:52 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Quote:
Ever asked yourself why in a strongly Republican state like Texas, official government-issued documents like driver's licenses and social security cards are so easy for illegals to obtain?

Who benefits from having the illegals here?
For the more dense or coy, here ya go.

Texas Employers for Immigration Reform (TEIR) believes that the choice on immigration is clear – it's between a realistic, comprehensive solution and piecemeal failure. We can't just build walls around a broken system – we need to fix the system to make sure we achieve real security, restore law & order and have enough workers to continue growing our economy. That's why we support a temporary guest worker program combined with clear, sensible workplace enforcement. Would you please think about joining TEIR , a new coalition that is making sure our collective voices reach the public and our legislative leaders? TEIR includes a broad base of Texas businesses, including everyone from farmers to hotels to restaurant associations and owners.

TEIR

Its Web site, TEIR, makes some of the staunchest arguments for comprehensive immigration reform you’ll ever hear from rich Republican donors and power players.

But here, at least for now, powerful forces have come to understand — whether through warm feelings for workers or, more likely, cold self-interest — that in attacking immigrants, Texas is attacking itself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/02/opinion/02mon4.html

Old 07-12-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
What we have here is a serious gap in comprehension.

All federal enforcement functions are the responsibility of the administrations, not congress. I thought you understood that.

Oh, btw - Republicans controlled congress from 1994 to 2006. More than the eight years you've cited. They hold a firm majority in the Supreme Court. As previously stated, they've held the White House for 28 of the past 40 years. And in the past couple of decades, they've had the majority of state governors, too. It's been an extraordinarily Republican era. But you claim America's problems are the result of "the libs." Care to speculate as to why the Republicans (who've been holding the reigns for so long) haven't addressed these issues, other than to turn away from conservatism and raise bogus banners like "family values" and "flag burning" in order to inflame the emotions of good Americans in order to divert their attention? As long as you keep mindlessly following the Limbaugh line that "it's the libs' fault", you'll never get your eye on the ball.
No what we have is someone who will pick apart everybody and everything because it is what they enjoy so I say why bother. You are who you are and I find you dull.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
For the more dense or coy, here ya go.

Texas Employers for Immigration Reform (TEIR) believes that the choice on immigration is clear – it's between a realistic, comprehensive solution and piecemeal failure. We can't just build walls around a broken system – we need to fix the system to make sure we achieve real security, restore law & order and have enough workers to continue growing our economy. That's why we support a temporary guest worker program combined with clear, sensible workplace enforcement. Would you please think about joining TEIR , a new coalition that is making sure our collective voices reach the public and our legislative leaders? TEIR includes a broad base of Texas businesses, including everyone from farmers to hotels to restaurant associations and owners.

TEIR

Its Web site, TEIR, makes some of the staunchest arguments for comprehensive immigration reform you’ll ever hear from rich Republican donors and power players.

But here, at least for now, powerful forces have come to understand — whether through warm feelings for workers or, more likely, cold self-interest — that in attacking immigrants, Texas is attacking itself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/02/opinion/02mon4.html

The DOJ has really failed us all on this issue. We need to come up with something as many immigrants in Texas are some of the hardest working, best employees I've ever seen. The down side is all the illegal’s spending our tax dollars that we can no longer afford. TEIR sounds like it might have some good ideas. I'm embarrassed to admit I'm not familiar with the program so Thanks for posting it.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections