Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 03:27 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times

Advertisements

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet. ~ Shakespeare

Can we dissect the name of Barack Hussein Obama for a moment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been a lot of controversy of late about the Democratic Nominee's name.

I would like to shed some light on .. how much a name means in my opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obama's mother's name:
Stanley Ann Durham

His Mother had a man's name. Stanley is a name I associate with men.

She.. was not a he. ( I had an uncle named Shirley - could you imagine his name Shirley Obama?) - Me neither!

His father was Barack Obama, Sr. - Many first born male children are given the name of their father out of respect.

What is the association people are trying to draw between Barack Hussein Obama and Islam? It simply doesn't exist. There is no secret that he is a Christian. Even if there was some doubt about his religious philosophy, can't people change their religion? This is the United States afterall.

He could have been named Stanley after his Mother. Then we'd have Stanley Obama.

Ok, President "Stan Obama" doesn't sound quite as strong and purposeful as President Barack Obama.

I searched Barack online and in Hungarian it's a type of apricot wine.

Hello! People out there! Isn't it silly to make so much over the man's name? He didn't choose it afterall!

That's just my opinion.

I'm a repub, I honestly think that the issue people are trying to make over his name makes zero sense. Enlighten me if you have a different view.

Feel free to add your comments below.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 05:48 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
I think Stanley Ann's Dad really, really wanted a boy....

As far as Barack's name goes....the republican party needs more rational people like you.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:27 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Well, the mistake you are making is in assuming that the multitude of attacks on Obama are rational.

While a few are - it's certainly valid to question his limited experience for example - most of the attacks are really just aimed at the emotional level and have not logical basis. Such are the attacks around his name.

First he was a closet muslim extremist meant to infiltrate the White House and bring America down, then once the tape of Rev Wrights comments were unearthed (tapes of what - 2 sermons cherry-picked from 20+ years of speaches (neither of which Obama was present for)? That's less than 1/10th of 1 % of his sermons - hardly indication that the man constantly preached such) then suddenly Obama was Black Nationalist extreme-Christian Racist. Never mind that this was contrary to the previous accusations - as long as it attacked Obama it was somehow true. Then there's a secret tape of Michelle Obama calling White Folks "Whitey". A tape which NEVER materialized.

Then he was stupid in spite of the fact that he attained a higher degree of eduction than many of the "far smarter" (tnow THAT'S a laugh) posters here. Then he was a Pacifist who was going to dismantle America's military - of course that was before he was sudden a war-monger who was going to attack one of our allies (Pakistan) - which the Obamabashers conveniently neglect to mention has ALREADY been attacked by the current Administration.

Then he's a woman-hater whom women will NOT vote for - even though recent polls has shown that he's outdrawing McCain in that demographic. Then he was going to be unable to tap into the Hispanic vote because Blacks and Hispanics don't get along (strange since they frequently intermarry) - even though recent polls have shown he's outdrawing McCain in this demographic by 2-1.

Then his support is falling and his fundraising collapsing (that's strange, since he's just had one of his highest fundraising months ever). Then he can't draw the White Lower-Class vote - even though recent polls have shown him with huge gains in this demographic.

It's simply part of a "shotgun" or "kitchen sink" attack plan. They attack Obama on eveything they can think of - no matter how stupid the attack may be, no matter if THEIR guy has done or said the EXACT same thing they are attacking Obama for, no matter how little sense their attack makes -NONE of that matters. Then he couldn't produce his birth certificate and that he wasn't even born in America - even though he has already done so.

They just attack, attack, attack - and hope that something - anything - manages to stick.

Pretty pathetic in my opinion - especially since so few of them even LIKE their OWN candidate.

In the end however, I suspect all that effort will do them no good

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections