Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 05:03 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,425 times

Advertisements

I seem to have maybe you say a "centrist" view. I have extreme view on both aligning with far right conservative and sometime aligning with far left Liberals. Both canditates, McCain nor Obama, seem to be perfect fit for me. Same goes for political party. Anyone else like that? Probably most are moderates with views that aren't too far right or far left.

Here are what I consider my Conservative views:

-Ban all Drugs, they are illegal for reason. Execute all drug dealers, like Singapore does. They seem have solved their drug problem.

-Executing Murders are fine as long as you are sure you got right person.

- Government is too big, it needs to smaller and efficient. I am all about a 50% cut in government (Welfare and even Defense).

-Low or Zero Income Taxes for all. Small government = less need for taxes.

-Balance budget all them time!

-Very conservative on Social / Morality issues. I think needs to be done about loss of morality. Get rid of all these stupid Rappers, Girls going around in skimpy outfit, divorce rate is way to high, children should listen to parents, etc. Introduce ethics classes in Schools or something. Heck even allow religion in school if it will help improve morals of kids these days!!!

-Pretty much against abortion

Liberal Views:

-Gay Marriage fine by me

-Illegal Aliens go ahead and Grant them Amnesty, but please close that border.

-Hit car companies hard with Fuel Economy regulations, force to turn out Electric cars, solar cars, etc. Even if it makes big 3 go bankrupt!

-America is too hooked on fearing Terrorist attacks

-Stem cell research is fine and a good thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 05:18 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I seem to have maybe you say a "centrist" view. I have extreme view on both aligning with far right conservative and sometime aligning with far left Liberals. Both canditates, McCain nor Obama, seem to be perfect fit for me. Same goes for political party. Anyone else like that? Probably most are moderates with views that aren't too far right or far left.

Here are what I consider my Conservative views:

-Ban all Drugs, they are illegal for reason. Execute all drug dealers, like Singapore does. They seem have solved their drug problem.

-Executing Murders are fine as long as you are sure you got right person.

- Government is too big, it needs to smaller and efficient. I am all about a 50% cut in government (Welfare and even Defense).

-Low or Zero Income Taxes for all. Small government = less need for taxes.

-Balance budget all them time!

-Very conservative on Social / Morality issues. I think needs to be done about loss of morality. Get rid of all these stupid Rappers, Girls going around in skimpy outfit, divorce rate is way to high, children should listen to parents, etc. Introduce ethics classes in Schools or something. Heck even allow religion in school if it will help improve morals of kids these days!!!

-Pretty much against abortion

Liberal Views:

-Gay Marriage fine by me

-Illegal Aliens go ahead and Grant them Amnesty, but please close that border.

-Hit car companies hard with Fuel Economy regulations, force to turn out Electric cars, solar cars, etc. Even if it makes big 3 go bankrupt!

-America is too hooked on fearing Terrorist attacks

-Stem cell research is fine and a good thing
I wont respond to you for that one point on your list.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:28 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,684 times
I feel ya gundamn, I suggest you look up "state rights", if states had the rights they used to we would have a smaller federal government. I am pro-life but I believe states should decide on that, places such as SD would work, places like CA will not work. I don't think your illegal stance is liberal either, the liberal stance is keep the border open and grant them amnesty, the conservative stance today is to secure the border yet grant guest worker programs and amnesty to those residing in the U.S. already. As for marriage the government should not even have it's hands in marriage in the first place church is seperate from state, if marrriage is sacred that is between you and your church, thus governments should grant civil unions to both gays and heteros. I think you may be a right-leaning libertarian view, look up Ron Paul.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:54 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
I feel ya gundamn, I suggest you look up "state rights", if states had the rights they used to we would have a smaller federal government. I am pro-life but I believe states should decide on that, places such as SD would work, places like CA will not work. I don't think your illegal stance is liberal either, the liberal stance is keep the border open and grant them amnesty, the conservative stance today is to secure the border yet grant guest worker programs and amnesty to those residing in the U.S. already. As for marriage the government should not even have it's hands in marriage in the first place church is seperate from state, if marrriage is sacred that is between you and your church, thus governments should grant civil unions to both gays and heteros. I think you may be a right-leaning libertarian view, look up Ron Paul.
I actually know quite bit about Ron Paul. I actually would no too much problem voting him for President. But, I doubt he would do something like force those car companies make green cars, definitely not libertarian.

About the Illegal Aliens issue, I guess "seems" to be both Obama and McCain are going to eventually give them amnesty. I guess McCain will call it guest worker program, but seems the same to me thing to me. Maybe, I would have said I want Border closed and want Guest worker program like McCain and maybe put in under conservative view!

Old 07-18-2008, 10:27 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
you would force the car companies to make green cars even if it made them go bankrupt???so then they would make no cars and go out of business??and what would this accomplish???why not just prohibit them from making cars in the first place and get it over with,and then ban cars from the roads so we wouldnt need all that oil.and then we could just empty out the cities and return to an agrarian shangri-la kind of like cambodia under the khmer rouge.......you want smaller govt-except when it comes to forcing car companies into bankruptcy and mandating dress codes for girls.you arent a centrist....more like a combination of the khumer rouge and taliban

Old 07-19-2008, 04:27 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
I dont think the "conservative" way is to grant them amnesty....thats the McCain way. The conservative way is to kick em out and lock that border. Its not only the conservative view, its the widely supported wiew (72% of population).

Old 07-19-2008, 06:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
I have LIBERAL views except on those issues I am Conservative on too!

LIBERAL
1. Tax the rich
2. Workers rights
3. Pro union
4. Yes to national healthcare
5. No to huge SUVs
6. Yes to transit and railroads
7. Yes to education
8. End the war in Iraq and also cut military spending
9. Yes to the Fairness Doctrine!
10. Free or reduced cost pre-k for every child
11. Yes to affirmative action (not race based however)
12. Yes to regulation
13. Strong anti trust supporter
14. Abortion is a fundamental right (no public financing however)
15. Yes to Free Speech even if I don't like what is being said. ACLU member.
16. The good of the country trumps the rights of the individual.

The CONSERVATIVE side:
1. Yes to gun rights and yes to the right to carry permits. NRA member.
2. Pro death penalty and no parole for violent criminals. Jail should be Hell on Earth!
3. Yes to No Child Left Behind and YES to vouchers for under performing schools
4. Yes to firing incompetent government employees.
5. Opposed to "hate crimes". A crime is a crime. Judges can take motivation into acount.
6. Opposed to racial quotas. Do not even think asking race should be legal.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:45 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
16. The good of the country trumps the rights of the individual.
That is the one and only thing on your list that I strongly dislike. It is a dangerous idea of sacrificing individuals, so long as it is "for the better" of the community at large. Stalinist by the book...

Old 07-19-2008, 08:10 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
That is the one and only thing on your list that I strongly dislike. It is a dangerous idea of sacrificing individuals, so long as it is "for the better" of the community at large. Stalinist by the book...
My view is that the good of the country has to take precedence over the rights of individual people except for those rights granted to the individual by the Constitution and the Amednments to it. There seems to be a growing idea that people have "rights" that they do not have. You have people out here that think they have a "right" to drive a monster SUV 90 mph on our highways. How dare you cite them! You have people that think they have a "right to privacy" even when they are in public. You have others that think they have a "right" to a job, a "right" to healthcare (and I do support national healthcare but it is not now a "right"), a "right" to not obey the laws and regulations of the country, state, city or HOA because it conflicts with their beliefs. None of these are rights and rights have to be limited for the good of the public. Now I do agree that before the government restricts any person's freedom, they should have to show a compelling case for doing so. I strongly opposed the Kelo decision on Emminet Domain. If the government wishes to take your property- even for "just compensation"- they should have to prove a compelling public interest for doing so. Not just that "somebody wants to build condos here and will pay more taxes".

Old 07-19-2008, 09:05 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
I don't think anybody has completely liberal or completely conservative views...

Democrats and Republicans use that dialogue to divide the country in their favor. Nothing in this world is black and white. The sooner we realize that its not always best to vote for the democratic candidate...or not always best to vote for the republican candidate the better.

If we voted for candidates on their actual beliefs instead of political platform we wouldn't have all of this party pandering that goes on. We might actually have candidates who do what THEY believe is right instead of what their party believes is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections