Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:15 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,046 times

Advertisements

Ignore the fact there was a huge cheering crowd and focus on the message he was trying to send.

Here's a transcript:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/us...THfx2q7medokWg

I think he focused too much on the military and terrorism. Most of Europe view him for his (supposed, if you want) message of hope and focus on the future. They don't want him to talk about wars and AIDS but on strengthening the world econony and closer American-German/European ties. The Berlin Airlift and "look at Berlin" motifs went over well (who doesn't like flattery?), but then he started talking about Somalia and Darfur? Bleh. And then in a moment of hope when he starts talking about stronger American-European ties, he moves into terrorism . Not a very positive subject. Nuclear disarmament and Iraq aren't what they want to hear about, I don't think.

I give it a C+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 06:30 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
They wanted to be thrilled by a love and prosperity lullaby. He chose to mix in some un-fun realism when he certainly didn't have to. A responsible, statesmanlike decision - hear it early and get used to it sooner. I'd give it an A+ except for his wretched delivery.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:15 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Get real and think for a moment. Over the last month Obama has moved to the mainstream. Even the WSJ/NBC poll showed more Americans considering him maintstream then McCain (now that is movement). Who did that hurt him with? As many have posted on here his liberal leftwing global base ( young in many cases) who were there for him early on but were starting to wonder. He has the last couple of weeks has been working to reassure them. Wait a second breaking news! Who was that speech tailored perfectly for? Yes his many original globalist who were beginning to wonder. Wonder on wonders will they come fully back to the fold? Will they CONTRIBUTE joyfully to the campaign? When they return to college will they stump for the campaign in the college towns across America which are now in summer limbo? Also who is brought back the nostalgia of Reagan yesterday and a couple of weeks ago? Sure wasn't Johhny Mc, he is still having trouble getting that imagery going thanks to Barack.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:37 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
They don't want him to talk about wars and AIDS but on strengthening the world econony and closer American-German/European ties. The Berlin Airlift and "look at Berlin" motifs went over well (who doesn't like flattery?), but then he started talking about Somalia and Darfur? Bleh. And then in a moment of hope when he starts talking about stronger American-European ties, he moves into terrorism . Not a very positive subject. Nuclear disarmament and Iraq aren't what they want to hear about, I don't think.
To some extent, I agree. I wish there had been more talk about the world economy (although that could have been treacherous, especially in Germany).

You're right-- Darfur and nuclear disamament were not "feel good" topics... and I think that was a strategy. The point of this speech was to establish him as a world leader who has a message of hope, but who also faces serious topics head on.

My only gripe was this was an inspirational speech--and traditionally that means presenting universal goals, not nitty gritty details. "I Have A Dream", for example, did not have much specific substance--that's one of the reasons it united people.

I would have liked hearing Obama break with that tradition, and present a few concrete ideas. But OTOH if you try to accomplish too much with a single speech you end up accomplishing nothing. This speech accomplished his goals, and for that reason I give it a B+. Maybe even an A-.

Why not an A? Well... it was historic, and it was interesting--but it could have been a little more dynamic. It accomplished its goal, but it wasn't quite "I Have A Dream."

And maybe I also reserve my A's for other kinds of speeches. I will be more interested in Obama's State of the Union addresses. Those are the sort of speeches I like best.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Get real and think for a moment. Over the last month Obama has moved to the mainstream. Even the WSJ/NBC poll showed more Americans considering him maintstream then McCain (now that is movement). Who did that hurt him with? As many have posted on here his liberal leftwing global base ( young in many cases) who were there for him early on but were starting to wonder. He has the last couple of weeks has been working to reassure them. Wait a second breaking news! Who was that speech tailored perfectly for? Yes his many original globalist who were beginning to wonder. Wonder on wonders will they come fully back to the fold? Will they CONTRIBUTE joyfully to the campaign? When they return to college will they stump for the campaign in the college towns across America which are now in summer limbo? Also who is brought back the nostalgia of Reagan yesterday and a couple of weeks ago? Sure wasn't Johhny Mc, he is still having trouble getting that imagery going thanks to Barack.
I dont understand, could you rephrase? How was his speech tailored for a particular segment of US voters (the "far left" who were his first supporters)? I thought the speech was extremely broad and bland.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Why not an A? Well... it was historic, and it was interesting--but it could have been a little more dynamic. It accomplished its goal, but it wasn't quite "I Have A Dream."
Did he miss an A with you due to his nervous delivery? He did with me. If he were more theatrical the speech would carry more weight - IMO the speech itself is fine.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I thought the speech was extremely broad and bland.
I agree--in fact the comment I heard repeatedly yesterday was that it was so broad McCain could easily have given the same speech, word for word. Which was the goal, of course. It not only appeals to a universal audience but also puts McCain in the "copy cat position" with his future speeches. That's why McCain's taken the "sour grapes" attitude--it's really the only position he can take.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Did he miss an A with you due to his nervous delivery? He did with me. If he were more theatrical the speech would carry more weight - IMO the speech itself is fine.
Delivery, and also it would have been better with just a little more personalization. It needed a strong catch phrase. Or a simple story with a pointed moral that the general public could easily remember and quote.

But getting back to delivery--oy! I wish I could throw him into a time machine and send him to a speech coach while he was in his 20's. Or Toastmasters!!!! He'll improve with time, of course, but it would have been an even better speech if he had talked more slowly, and used pauses more effectively.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:58 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Delivery, and also it would have been better with just a little more personalization. It needed a strong catch phrase. Or a simple story with a pointed moral that the general public could easily remember and quote.

But getting back to delivery--oy! I wish I could throw him into a time machine and send him to a speech coach while he was in his 20's. Or Toastmasters!!!! He'll improve with time, of course, but it would have been an even better speech if he had talked more slowly, and used pauses more effectively.
He did do a little catchphrasing with "look at Berlin" but his overall delievery was definitely rushed.

So you guys think that wars against terrorism was a good topic to focus the speech on?

Old 07-25-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post

So you guys think that wars against terrorism was a good topic to focus the speech on?
Yes--this is the last speech in the "messages of hope" series. As the campaign matures, he needs to transition away from that... which means a focus on more serious, less "fun" topics. But he was also in a funny position because this was his first speech in Europe--and Obama's strategy is to make the first speeches messages of hope. An interesting balance act. IMO, he pulled it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections