Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 02:27 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times

Advertisements

Hot Air » Blog Archive » Did Obama amplify pork for bundlers?

Quote:
The Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Frank Clark, stands out amongst Obama supporters. On Sen. Obama’s website, Mr. Clark is listed as a bundler who raised in excess of $200,000 for the Senator’s Presidential campaign. In 2004, Mr. Clark donated $5,000 to the then State Senator Obama’s U.S. Senate bid. In 2005, Mr. Clark became the Chairman of the Board at Adler Planetarium, and in 2006 Sen. Obama earmarked $300,000 to the Planetarium. Then, in the same year that Mr. Clark’s involvement in the Obama campaign skyrocketed to raising an excess of $200,000, Sen. Obama’s earmark for the Adler Planetarium increased tenfold to $3,000,000.

Mr. Clark isn’t the only problematic donor. Two of the Vice Chairmen of the Board, Brian Cressey and Peter Thompson are also significant donors. Between donations from Mr. Thompson and the Cressey household, Sen. Obama received $13,800. The most significant donor here is Mr. Cressey. As a first time donor, Mr. Cressey gave the maximum possible individual donation in essentially one big check. What makes this even more troubling is that Mr. Cressey had never given to Sen. Obama before 2008, the year in which the Adler Planetarium’s earmark increased tenfold.

The fact that three ranking members of the Adler Planetarium’s Board donated huge sums of money (at least $200,000) is interesting by itself. The fact that these enormous contributions came in the same year that Sen. Obama increased their earmark by 900% is truly unsettling.
Sweet scoop: Obama, after initial refusal, releases all earmark requests. Read them here. UPDATES - Lynn Sweet

The Campaign Spot on National Review Online

Quote:
$1 million was requested for the construction of a new hospital pavilion at the University Of Chicago. The request was put in in 2006.

You know who works for the University of Chicago Hospital?

Michelle Obama. She's vice president of community affairs.

As Byron noted, "In 2006, the Chicago Tribune reported that Mrs. Obama’s compensation at the University of Chicago Hospital, where she is a vice president for community affairs, jumped from $121,910 in 2004, just before her husband was elected to the Senate, to $316,962 in 2005, just after he took office."

Looks like that raise was worth it.
Hmmm. Just TWO Obama earmarks that have paid off handsomely for him, and the wife.

McCain does not take earmarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 02:41 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Nice try.

Discloses earmarks to improve government transparency
WASHINGTON, DC – U.S. Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) today announced that he had requested federal funding for the following projects, in the amounts designated by his constituents and several national organizations, as part of this year's annual appropriations process:

Obama Announces FY08 Federal Funding Requests | U.S. Senator Barack Obama (http://obama.senate.gov/press/070621-obama_announces_3/ - broken link)

I wouldnt take earmarks either, if I were McCain and had to be forced to "learn my lesson" that corruption = bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five

Old 08-12-2008, 03:10 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Nice try what?

His earmarks have resulted in some really NICE donations to his campaign.

Don't you want to talk about that?

Old 08-12-2008, 03:27 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times
Question Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

McCain does not take earmarks.

Are you certain you wish to stand by this statement?

Old 08-12-2008, 03:29 PM

As reported by thinkprogress.org, -

"congressional directives specifying spending amounts that are the same as shown in the Administration's illustrative listing for country distributions also are regarded as earmarks. Annual earmarks for economic and military aid to Israel and Egypt are examples of such directives."

Old 08-12-2008, 03:32 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,855,850 times
I don't know this thread is really about, I just skimmed it, but thinkprogress is biased. they are like a left wing newsmax. the only place you can get unbiased journalism is..............................................?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
As reported by thinkprogress.org, -

"congressional directives specifying spending amounts that are the same as shown in the Administration's illustrative listing for country distributions also are regarded as earmarks. Annual earmarks for economic and military aid to Israel and Egypt are examples of such directives."

Old 08-12-2008, 03:35 PM

If the definition is accurate it could have been delivered by a toddler.

Do it matter that a blind man sees a rattlesnake before me?

Old 08-12-2008, 03:37 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,855,850 times
it just has a bad brand to it for me. I am not a fan of ultra biased media. a little bit is ok, but the extreme stuff gets old, so even if the info was accurate, the source has no credibility with me.

Quote:
If the definition is accurate it could have been delivered by a toddler.

Do it matter that a blind man sees a rattlesnake before me?

Old 08-12-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
it just has a bad brand to it for me. I am not a fan of ultra biased media. a little bit is ok, but the extreme stuff gets old, so even if the info was accurate, the source has no credibility with me.
I'll use any source. Truth is what it is and the deliverer is of little consequence. Bias shrouds the Truth. Mathematics is true no matter what language.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:51 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,452,524 times
Quote:
I'll use any source. Truth is what it is and the deliverer is of little consequence.
True, after all the National Enquirer broke the Edwards story....renews my hope that Elvis is still alive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections