Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 09:41 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times

Advertisements

I hear Obama ripping her on earmarks, but I was under the assumption that only members of the legislative branch can ask for them. Given a Governor is in the executive branch, how is attacking her on earmarks relevant or honest?
I am asking a serious question and not looking for emotional blather or educated guesses. I want an honest answer from someone truly in the know and if possible a source for further studying.
I am not attacking Obama or supporting Palin, just curious if it is political spin or can Governors petition Congress for earmarks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 09:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Nation & World | Palin's earmark requests: more per person than any other state | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 09-06-2008, 10:14 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
Thanks for the link. Between the article and a few other pieces I have looked up, it appears it is the Governors duty to ask the federal gov't for earmarks on federally funded programs like infrastructure.
This article was actually written by the Governor back in March and explains the process pretty well.

newsminer.com • Palin: Setting the earmarks opinion straight

My conclusion is, she is headed in the right direction, certainly not abusive with them but putting a political spin on it as well. There is good reasoning for a lot of the earmarks, and I like the idea of her supporting transparency/state matched funding coupled with strong public support.
Basically I am not going to view this as a positive or negative about her. I do not find Obama's earmarks out of line either for the record.
My main reason for this post was just further education. I am not done yet, but I understand more than I did an hour ago in regards to earmarks. I look forward to any additional comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections