Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 05:06 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times

Advertisements

The problem with all these polls is that they only are done through people who have "land lines." The vast majority of people under 30 communicate only through cell phones, text messages, and my space. And since the majority of those young people are solidly in Obama's corner. I have a strong hunch that folks will be surprised by how skewed the polls turn out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 05:10 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Tuborg; It won't matter right now if obama goes over 50 - the polls will continue to fluctuate with McCain's VP and the GOP convention; After Labor day - the race to the wire begins!

I see you've learned your lesson well about trying to predict polls. Good for you.
I disagree for this reason. If either candidate goes over 50% it then represents a day that they would have won. It also means that the other candidate can't win even if they get all of the undecideds but they must also move voters from the other to them. No candidate thus far has gone over 50% and to have that in your range is significant. Rember the margin of error is also the range for each candidate. Example if one is at 53% and the margin of error is 3% then you can see the significance. Anytime you have majority it carries with it a psychological advantage. This race has been close and clearly in the hands of the undecided. 50% presents a shift in how much weight is the hands of the undecided. Yes it is this far out and all polling this far out is subject to much change. But either candidate reaching 50% demonstrates they can win. If they both cross it then it shows they are each capable of obtaining a majority of the vote. Remember if they are identified as committed and not leaning then the impact of a third party candidate is not as great if a candidate can cross the 50% polling threshold.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:26 PM

CNN.com - Poll: Bush apparently gets*modest bounce - Sep 6, 2004
Bush's convention bounce appeared to be 2 percentage points.

The percentage of likely voters who said he was their choice for president rose from 50 right before the convention to 52 immediately afterward.

Kerry got no bounce coming out of the Democratic convention, making Bush's movement appear robust.

Still, the 2 percentage point bounce could be illusory, since the poll's margin of error was plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

The apparent slight boost in support for Bush is not the only effect of the Republican convention.

Obamatrons remember the claims that Obama needed a 15 point bounce or he was under performing? You may want to keep the link for future use.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:47 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times
You know, I think I understand the importance of all these polls... it give folks something to talk about... but that is about it. I live in a red state. It has been a red state for as long as I can remember. It will probably remain a red state for my entire lifetime. What do these polls mean to me? Not a darn thing. I view these polls like very much like the Hillary fanatics do/did. The majority of votes means nothing in the system we use. A 100% vote for McCain in my state equals 15 electoral votes. An 80% vote for McCain equals the same. Am I wrong in this math?

Old 08-28-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Wow, he is actually down 9 then, he is suppose to be up 15 at this time and he is not.

Thanks to Bill Clinton for the bump.

Shows me people like Clinton and do not like Obama.

Poor Obama is down, not up.

Even stupid Kerry was up more then this. Obama is behind even Kerry at this point. What does that tell you.
That McCain is way behind Bush at this point. Oh yeah he is behind Bush, Kerry and Obama at this point.

Wait Sunshine you have done it you have provided us the light to see and understand.

McCain is not a little behind Bush, Kerry and Obama he is in fact a BIG BEHIND.

Thank you for showing Obamatrons the light to see and understand that McCain is a BIG BEHIND.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:16 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,589,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Sorry, that may be your personal opinion - most people love Clinton. It's going to show in the polls.
They do? Why did she lose to an empty suit that has almost no experience? Seems there are at least 18 million on the left that don't like her.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:55 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
The polls of aggregate counts of voters don't matter. The states (Electoral College) elect the President. So you have to look at what's going to happen in each state. There are only a few states that are truly up for grabs. Those are the ones to watch for. Also, watch which states the two candidates spend the most time in between today and the election. Those are likely the "toss-up" states this time around, as directed by their own pollsters.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:14 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I just can't see McCain getting as large of a bounce, considering he'll be having Bush and Cheney speak.
He can't even get 10,000 people to show up for his VP announcement. Obama got double that, midday, in the middle of the week here in Tampa before he even won the nomination.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
The problem with all these polls is that they only are done through people who have "land lines." The vast majority of people under 30 communicate only through cell phones, text messages, and my space. And since the majority of those young people are solidly in Obama's corner. I have a strong hunch that folks will be surprised by how skewed the polls turn out to be.
Gallup is done via land lines and cell phones. Bad argument.

And this is a VERY small bounce from a convention. But, we will have to wait and see the true bounce until Saturday.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:41 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
About friggin time. I was starting to worry there for a minute.

Of course, McCAin will get a bump after announcing his VP and during his convention as well so the numbers are pointless at this point.

Wait until the debates, then the polls will start to look interesting.
It will all be about the debates. I never thought it would come down to just the debates. I thought Obama had it in the bag until people started wondering and the gap closed. Obama IMO needs to really limit the number of debates and really, really work on his debating skills. He will have to do better than he did in the primaries. It will be one on one with a candidate that will really point out the fact that he has little substance behind his ideas. If he can just win a couple of the debates or hold his ground he might win. If he unravels and looses like we all know he can it might be over. This is going to get real interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections