Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 02:24 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Dumb Polls.

She was a great pick!
A good portion of the American people seem to disagree, certainly they are undecided. Very much in contrast to your kneeling at the Palin altar just because the Republican party told you that is the thing to do.

The key numbers for me are from the female Clinton supporters. McCain was definitely going after them with this pick and so far they are saying no the the Alaskan female fundie.

Quote:
Among Democratic women — including those who may be disappointed that New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton did not win the Democratic nomination — 9% say Palin makes them more likely to support McCain, 15% less likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 02:31 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
LOL the poll was taken last Friday. 39% is pretty good for an unknown person imo.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:33 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
A good portion of the American people seem to disagree, certainly they are undecided. Very much in contrast to your kneeling at the Palin altar just because the Republican party told you that is the thing to do.

The key numbers for me are from the female Clinton supporters. McCain was definitely going after them with this pick and so far they are saying no the the Alaskan female fundie.

Oh yes, he was ONLY going after Clinton supporters. He forgot his ticket was pro life.

"certainly they are undecided" ...........LOL the poll was last Friday. Biden's been around for 30 years and we've been eating OBAMA breakfast lunch and dinner for two years.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:33 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
In a new USA Today Poll only 39% say Sarah Palin is qualified to be president, the lowest number for any VP choice since Dan Quayle. By contrast, when Obama's pick of Joe Biden was announced 57% felt he was qualified.

Some other interesting numbers:

67%, say putting Palin on the ticket won't affect their vote; 72% say that of Biden.

18% say Palin makes them more likely to vote for McCain, 11% less likely. That net-positive impact of 7 points is similar to Biden's: 14% said his pick made them more likely to vote for Obama, 7% less likely.

Here are some numbers which indicate McCain's choice may backfire in at least one area:
I cannot imagine her making it more likely for McCain, for any voters who look at real issues. Watched McCain's Bio last night, and have to reiterate what James Carville said...

..."I am dumbfounded by his [McCain's] choice".... .

I am registered as Repub, and McCain, if he had picked a decent VP, may have still seemed viable....but this choice is way off base, and makes a person doubt his motivations....

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 08-31-2008 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-31-2008, 02:34 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
LOL the poll was taken last Friday. 39% is pretty good for an unknown person imo.
39% is good? My, we have set expectations low...

Old 08-31-2008, 02:55 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Dumb Polls.

She was a great pick!

I agree but if the number threads here on C-D denigrating Palin is any sort of polling, McCain has definitely poured salt into a wound. If McCain would have picked an old Washington D.C. insider codger, as the Dems did, we would be now talking about two hurricanes now hurdling toward us. However, I've sat through too many elections not to enjoy what I'm seeing here.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:53 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,749,490 times
Quote:
Gallup tracking gives Obama a 48%-42% lead. Also the Reuters/Zogby Poll of 8-20 gave McCain a 5% lead.

One other thing to keep in mind, in the Zogby poll you cite, when Nader and Barr are added to the mix, McCain/Palin's lead evaporates and Obama/Biden takes a 1% lead at 44%-43% with Barr getting 5% and Nader 2%. Barr may turn out to be a big spoiler in this race.

http://www.gallup.com/home.aspx

Poll shows McCain in 5-point lead over Obama | Politics | Reuters

Zogby International (http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews1547.html - broken link)
Zogby online interactive poll is trash, don't pay any attention to it.

Quote:
Pollster John Zogby: "Palin is not to be underestimated. Her real strength is that she is authentic, a real mom, an outdoors person, a small town mayor (hey, she has dealt with a small town city council - that alone could be preparation for staring down Vladimir Putin, right?). She is also a reformer."
"A very important demographic in this election is going to be the politically independent woman, 15% of whom in our latest survey are undecided

Old 08-31-2008, 06:41 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
I heard a comparison between Palin and Theodore Roosevelt. He had also been governor for two years.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:48 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Until they figure out a way to poll other than through the use of landlines, the polls this year will have little validity. Very few folks under the age of 30 even HAVE a landline. Almost all use their cell phone as their only phone. Just check it out. One of Obama's largest group of votes hasn't even been polled.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:04 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,367,490 times
the choice of palin is driving the democrats nuts !
they have no defense, all they can do is try to make up something
awesome, you might as well ordain McCain now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections