Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:36 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Hey Ray. I don't bother with the oil money and I'm a dreaded Democrat.

Get a grip. Not ever resident even applies for it.
Oh, I see. Are you sure that some of the AK residents who qualified for the PDF and refund "ever" apply for it? Just imagine a family with thee or more children not applying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 08:37 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
The Alaska Permanent Fund was created by a 1976 amendment to the state constitution and it has paid out annual dividends from investment earnings.

So Alaska recently enjoyed a big surplus and the checks were larger as a result. In the 90s, I made about 350% in mutual funds in less than 5 years (125% in 1999) and I had no clue what I was doing. Sometimes even a blind pig finds a truffle. (Unfortunately, I lost most of that gain in 2001-2002.)

Oh, I guess I shouldn't use a very common expression. That's so sexist of me!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:38 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So what are you saying? That Alaska residents don't deserve the checks? Or that it isn't fair that residents of the state providing a great deal of our oil should benefit from it?
No, that's not what I'm saying. The post to which I was responding focused on the checks as being a reason to support Palin as V.P. candidate.

On another note: Alaska does not provide "a great deal of our oil." Another lie from Palin, who keeps repeating that Alaska supplies 20% of the nation's oil. It does not. This has been corrected in the media many times. She ignores it and keeps repeating it. Why does she do this? Because the current incarnation of the "Republican" party knows that some members of their base don't care about the truth, and others are uneducated and easily convinced by a shake and a smile.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
I'm qualified for it and didn't apply, Ray.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
No, probably saying that it's easy to be "popular" when you're handing out $3000 checks to your citizens.

What would her approval ratings be if she were to run a much bigger state with a "real" economy.
I don't believe that you know much about the AK's economy. You will be surprised with the size of the budget, and its surplus. It will also surprise you to find out the size of the PFD in Alaska. Over a year ago it was over $30-billion.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:42 PM

And of course you think that my little island (the third largest island in the United States, by the way, so not so little), doesn't matter in Alaska. Something else you have in common with the governor. I suppose you think that the earth is 6000 years old, too.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
And of course you think that my little island (the third largest island in the United States, by the way, so not so little, doesn't matter in Alaska. Something else you have in common with the governor. I suppose you think that the earth is 6000 years old, too.
No, that's not what I said, that's what you are saying. Also, I didn't say "it didn't matter."

Your island is very small when compared to Alaska, and with a very small population (voters). In Alaska, Anchorage and vicinity, Fairbanks and vicinity, and Juneau tip election results. In fact, most times the rural vote (I am there) hardly makes a dent against Anchorage and Juneau.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:45 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
No, probably saying that it's easy to be "popular" when you're handing out $3000 checks to your citizens.

What would her approval ratings be if she were to run a much bigger state with a "real" economy.
Like PA which is run in the red?
Hard to get bigger than Alaska last time I checked they be pretty big. Small population but huge logistical problems and about 9 months of foul weather.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:49 PM

This is exactly what you said, Ray:

Quote:
Your little island hardly makes a difference in Alaska.
Now of course it hardly makes a difference votewise, if that's what you meant. But then, the three electoral votes that Alaska has hardly make a difference either.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:51 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I don't believe that you know much about the AK's economy. You will be surprised with the size of the budget, and its surplus. It will also surprise you to find out the size of the PFD in Alaska. Over a year ago it was over $30-billion.
I know that Alaska has a Gross State Product (economic output) of about $40 Billion, about the same as the county I live in in Michigan. I know that the State budget spending of Alaska per resident is about 3x the national average.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...erage-per.html

I know that Alaska gets the greatest majority of its revenue from the gas and oil industry. So much so that Alaska doesn't have a sales or income tax (statewide).

It's an oil and gas enclave. It wouldn't surprise me at all that the PFD is $30 Billion, considering the current environment in the petroleum industry (speculative pricing).

And tinman, yes it's a large mostly uninhabited land-mass, that doesn't require much governing. Can we all at least be honest about that. Same with Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas.

I'm sure it's a beautiful, breathtaking place. Just not a good proving ground for Washington D.C..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections