Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 02:01 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Obama - I don't want my daughters "punished with a baby"

"I've got two daughters. 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby."

Yeah. That's your candidate, Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 02:03 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Punishment, well then abort it. If that doesn't work and it happens to survive, leave it to die on a shelf in some dirty rags.

Good thing the Palin family doesn't think this growing life is punishment.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:04 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
OK, lets be fair here. If my dd became pregnant in high school I wouldn't jump for joy. And lets face it....teenage parenthood is kinda like a punishment. Life is harder, the chances of going to college gets slimmer, marrying the boy jumps the chances of divorce, but more likely then not the boy skates and the girl is stuck with all the responsibility. To take what obama said on this any other way is to make a mountain over a mole hill.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:16 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
There are two people I am very close to who can tell you it is not punishment, and for two very different reasons.

First, my best friend in high school, Cathy. She got pregnant our junior year. She wasn't a "sl*t", she was severely misguided, as a lot of 17 year olds are. She had a baby, who is now 19 and is the light of her life. Was it hard? Yes. Would she change it? No. She is so proud of her daughter and she loves her life just as it is.

The second example would be my sister. She had an abortion at 17. She is now 40 and unable to have children. She is reminded of this every time she sees my two beautiful girls and it breaks her heart.

These are the decisions we make in life; who is to say Bristol's will be horrible as a result of hers? No one can. You work with the values you have to create a life that is perfect for you, and that is what she is doing. Punishment? Hardly. That Obama jumps the gun and automatically sees childbirth and babies as punishment in a teenager tells me a lot about his values.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:20 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
OK, lets be fair here. If my dd became pregnant in high school I wouldn't jump for joy. And lets face it....teenage parenthood is kinda like a punishment. Life is harder, the chances of going to college gets slimmer, marrying the boy jumps the chances of divorce, but more likely then not the boy skates and the girl is stuck with all the responsibility. To take what obama said on this any other way is to make a mountain over a mole hill.
Clearly he was advocating sex education, including abstinence as well as contraception....had he been talking about abortion it would sound more as OP wishes us to hear.

I see your point too, that the risks and odds are just stacked up against teen moms, especially those without a very strong family support system.

What I want to know is why we aren't hearing more about the adoption option? You may not be able to stop teen pregnancy but you can stop some of these young girls (and their babies) from becoming statistics.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:01 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,455,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
You may not be able to stop teen pregnancy but you can stop some of these young girls (and their babies) from becoming statistics.
Then the children become statistics. Our school system limits education on sex, behavior and parenting. Our media does not, nor do the television programs that are allowed to air. Maybe a reversal needs to be accomplished to eliminate the tv programming and ultimate education sources in school.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:02 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,576 times
teenage pregnancy is punishment, morons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections