Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Of course a mom can be president of the US, but unlike another job, do not expect the mothering to be of the same intensity as it would be in a different situation. Just as Obama has had to sacrifice family time with his daughters, Clinton also, most high level govt and corporate employees, military members, etc do too. Does not mean that it is the best situation for the kids though. When I was married to the military and my spouse deployed, my kids suffered. It is the same situation. A decison has to be made, which are the priorities and then you work them out, but you do not have the luxury of thinking you can have it all, man or woman.
No, I don't think you can have it all. And, I am not convinced that palin was the best pick for vp that mccain could have made....I just think that being a mother shouldn't be the reason she is unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 09:36 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,081,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And Obama isn't ego driven? All politicians are ego driven. So are professional musicians. So are professional dancers. So are actors and actresses. I see nothing wrong with an ego driven woman.
I think the problem is that she is being portrayed on one hand as simple Sarah, the common sense conservative, gun toting earth mother rather than the career politician she is, even if it is on a small scale.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:37 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,944 times
Quote:
And Obama isn't ego driven? All politicians are ego driven. So are professional musicians. So are professional dancers. So are actors and actresses. I see nothing wrong with an ego driven woman.
Unless that "ego-driven woman" is Hillary Clinton. The conservatives/fundies sure had a field day over that one ever since Bill Clinton was first in office. When Hillary Clinton started becoming active and not just another wallflower at the side of her man, then all h*ll broke loose.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
No, I don't think you can have it all. And, I am not convinced that palin was the best pick for vp that mccain could have made....I just think that being a mother shouldn't be the reason she is unacceptable.
I agree, the only way that Sarah Palin was the best pick for vp is if this was some sort of Bizarro World.

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
My comments above in red.
Look, the reasons for not wanting palin because of inexperience are valid. The excuse of young children and a down syndrom baby are not. Yes, vpotus is an intense job...but if I had brain surgery, would I rule out a surgeon because she had a five month old down baby at home? My god, she could be tired when she cracked open my skull! Do you see how this could go down?
Hillary talked about the cracks in the glass ceiling, but are we as women sealing them back up again with these types of arguments? The men were writing such garbage about palins looks and wanting to 'do her'....do we want to be complicit in that? I am not saying vote for her...far from it. I am just saying we have a duty for our daughters to keep the discussion away from sex and on the issues.

3,255 posts, read 5,081,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I think we are agreed on that, the question was more about the fact that this newborn is a special needs child. Remember the storyline that came out the first day was she cooked all their meals, got rid of the servants, etc. It is that kind of thing that just does not seem to gel with the idea of running for vice president. She was Mrs Cleaver and Murphy Brown and Margaret Thatcher and Annie Oakley all rolled into one.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
I think the problem is that she is being portrayed on one hand as simple Sarah, the common sense conservative, gun toting earth mother rather than the career politician she is, even if it is on a small scale.

I think that her credentials qualify her for an audition for the next taping of the fishing and hunting show on cable TV; not as the VP candidate for the second highest office in all the land. Do McCain's campaign ministers have some sort of dementia? Are they trying to sabatoge him completely? Does McCain have any sense of his own left anymore? What happened to the strong, McCain, the POW survivor of yesteryear??

Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
You're only a feminist if you are ultra liberal and anti family. Feminist do NOT support ANY conservative women candidates.

Feminism is not about women's rights its about promoting a FAR LEFT agenda.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
I don't think that the fact that Palin is woman, a mother of five, or the mother of a special needs newborn should be held against her in the race for vice-president. That's what the feminist movement was all about. Men have never had to choose between having a family or being a politcal leader and neither should a woman. Nor should the fact that her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant be a consideration.

I don't think Palin is qualified to be vice-president or president should she have to step into that role, but it has nothing to do with her status as a mother or soon-to-be grandmother.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,223,257 times
Quote:
I actually feel that the job of governor is a more more strenuous job than VP. A governor is making more active decisions and is at the helm of the state. A VP traditionally is just going around socializing with all those dignitaries that were hoping to have time with the president, but didn't make it onto the date calendar.

She could be THE PRESIDENT!!!! Surely you can see that would be a little more of a time consuming job than being governor of Alaska? And that is part of the purpose of the VPs job, to be ready to step up whenever needed? I assume that means that you have to be on top of everything to more or less the same extent as the president just in case he pops his clogs unexpectedly.

And what about Palin's husband? Hasn't he already resigned his post and is ready to be a house husband?

This was a question I asked in my first post. I have not seen that he has, but as I said in my first post, if he has, then that's a good step in the right direction.

I'm a feminist too, but I think that Palin's husband needs to do his share of the parenting duties also. As to her pregnant daughter, I see her getting married and staying in that small town in Alaska for the time being. I don't think that her mother needs to be around for the childrearing. 'm sure that she has the full support of her boyfriend's family also.

Agree that the husband needs to step up. I don't care much about the pregnant daughter apart from the hypocrasy of preaching abstinence and being pro choice, leaving the poor daughter with no choice but to be basically forced into a marriage as a teen ager. Let her have an abortion if she wants. Or not if she doesn't, but at least wait until she is old enough before marrying her off. The whole affair just stinks to high heaven.

As a feminist, I don't see why women need to try to "do it all"... being a mother hen, career woman and super hero, the men never trouble themselves like that. And in my area, there are plenty of families where the mother also has a full career and the family has a nanny or au pair for the kids. Even when one of the kids is a special needs child.
Well you know, I don't think it is ok when a man doesn't 'trouble himself' with his family either. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. When people make a decision to bring not one, not two, but five kids into the world, including special needs children, they BOTH need to make sure that fits into their life plan.
When they chose to apply ineffective rules such as abstinence and deny choice to women, then they DO need to be there to pick up the inevitable pieces when it all goes horribly wrong as in the case of their older daughter.

Quote:
Neither do I in most cases, but then they should not have chosen to have an autistic child if they were not going to be there for it. It's not the same as a healthy child. Special needs kids need more from their parents, and yes I have a problem with him just being handed off to a nanny. Why not give him up for adoption. Then they wouldn't have to worry about it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections