Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:13 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times

Advertisements

Positive Effects of Working Mothers
This says that kids of working mothers do better! Especially when dad is participating in the rearing!

Which the Palin family seems to have................................

according to psychologist Lois W. Hoffman, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, co-author of Mothers at Work: Effects on Children's Well-Being.

In addition to differences in discipline styles between stay-at-home mothers and those who worked full time outside the home, Hoffman and Lise Youngblade, a psychologist at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, found that working moms are more affectionate with their offspring than those who don't have full-time jobs.
Both the children and the mothers reported more maternal hugs, kisses, and verbal expressions of affection.

"We also found that the husbands of working mothers helped out more with child care and household tasks," Hoffman notes.

"And one of the effects of a father's increased involvement is that daughters do better on achievement tests, have less stereotypical attitudes about the competencies of men vs. women, and have a greater sense of personal effectiveness."

Moreover, offspring of working mothers had higher scores on standardized achievement tests in reading, math, and science.

Positive Effects of Working Mothers - Brief Article | USA Today (Society for the Advancement of Education) | Find Articles at BNET

We work too hard, which makes us heartless. We work too little, which makes us chattels. We’re too fat. We’re dangerously thin. We’re exercise addicts.
We can’t find time for the gym. We’re too old. We’re too young. We have crepey skin. We have Botox.
We can cook, which makes us throw-backs. We can’t cook, which makes us a disgrace.
We’re too trendy. We’re too dowdy. We have cellulite. Or have we had lipo?

It’s a wonder women don’t commit mass suicide, frankly.
It’s also perplexing that they don’t wake up, look around and flick two fingers up at the whole misogynistic dementedness of the situation.

You can blame the outside world - media pressure and so on - up to a point, but then, surely, you have to use your brain, take control and live your life - and never mind if your thighs have cellulite and you love your children but you actually like going to work.

There are two points here: the first is that 75% of mothers work. They work because they have to. You can think that harms the family, or think it does the family good, but it's irrelevant.

Most of us don’t have any choice: if we stopped working, our place wouldn’t be in the home but in the trailer, or in the cardboard box on the pavement, and our children wouldn’t have any clothes to wear or food to eat.

Secondly, why blame working mothers for harming family life? What about working fathers?
What about all those kids with no male role models on a street corner near you, with their lovely hoods up? Do we call that an excellent result?

It seems ridiculous – risible – to blame working mothers for what some people perceive as the collapse of society. Mothers, no matter what hours they work, tend not to abandon their kids; they also tend to try to do right by them. Compare and contrast.

What you can do, though, is be both a mother and a functioning professional - and to me, that hard-won combination is admirable and glorious.
Yes, your children may one day resent having had a succession of not-very-good au pairs and not much mother-and-daughter baking time. But I wonder how fondly they’d look back at a childhood with no treats and no holidays and economy mince every day and a mother tearing her hair out with despair.

A working mother’s first job is to be our scapegoat | India Knight - Times Online

Last edited by Miborn; 09-02-2008 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 01:16 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
Halleluiah! It's about time someone gave us some freaking credit instead of telling us that our children aren't raised properly b/c we have jobs. And it's nice to see the husbands getting credit for their part too. I know my hubby helps a lot.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:24 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
369 families? That's a pretty small sample. And I have to disagree. In my circle of friends, the working mothers are extremely permissive because they don't get as much time with their kids and feel guilty being "the bad guy" by disciplining during the time they are with their children. I can't say that I blame them though.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:28 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
369 families? That's a pretty small sample. And I have to disagree. In my circle of friends, the working mothers are extremely permissive because they don't get as much time with their kids and feel guilty being "the bad guy" by disciplining during the time they are with their children. I can't say that I blame them though.
Well, gee, 369 is a small sample but we'll take your word for it since your circle has permissive parents In my circle, the children with SAHM are behind socially and academically b/c they weren't exposed to many people their own age before school and weren't taught any curriculum so in my world, the results are dead on. It's overall not in small social circles that you would probably find these results are true. Doesn't mean it's always true but it's a study.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:28 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
How many of those women were a) State Governors, b) Vice Presidents of the US and c) have 5 kids with 1 being a pregnant High Schooler and the other being a 4 month old special needs child?

And did you say the father is rearing the child? PERVERT!!

Old 09-02-2008, 01:29 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,544 times
If this is in relationship to the Palin thing, I must have missed the posts that say working mothers are bad. I have heard that she has a set of circumstances that go beyond the normal expectations of a working mother, such as being expected to campaign, etc, but it has also been noted that the children of male politicians miss the input of their dads just as much. The problem in this case is that we were originally told that she brings home the moose, fries it up in a pan, washes the dishes, all while discussing matters of foreign policy across the Bearing Straits with no help.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:49 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
How many of those women were a) State Governors, b) Vice Presidents of the US and c) have 5 kids with 1 being a pregnant High Schooler and the other being a 4 month old special needs child?

And did you say the father is rearing the child? PERVERT!!
Ok lets look at this for a minute her kids are

19 years old

17 years old

14 years old

7 years old

4 months old

Now minus 19 year old going off to war and able to take care of self

Minus 17 year old getting married again old enough to take care of self

that leaves 14 yr old can do most things for self and has father when mother is not around

7 year old has above siblings to help along with father and mother and can do allot of things for self

4 month old who must be taken care of with help of siblings and father and mother

So tell me where are the 5 kids that need to be taken care of at?????????? That will hamper ability to do her job as VP?
Because I count 3 at home. A teen coming up soon pre teen and a infant!

As far as the pregnant daughter I dont know any pregnant woman that needed to be taken care of by anyone unless there were complications with the pregnancy and was bed ridden so that is also a non issue!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:03 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Ok lets look at this for a minute her kids are

19 years old

17 years old

14 years old

7 years old

4 months old

Now minus 19 year old going off to war and able to take care of self

Minus 17 year old getting married again old enough to take care of self (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....a 17 year old mother with a 17 year old baby daddy being able to take care of themselves.......if that was the case they wouldn't be pregnant NOW!)

that leaves 14 yr old can do most things for self and has father when mother is not around (cannot drive, does not work, just started high school, going through puberty......yeah....doesn't need mommy around).

7 year old has above siblings to help along with father and mother and can do allot of things for self (the 19 year old is at war, the 17 year old is pregnant, other than the 14 year old...what "siblingS" are there to take care it and what 7 year old takes care of themselves? Are are you talking about them being babysat by the television?

4 month old who must be taken care of with help of siblings and father and mother (I did not realize that a pregnant teenager, a son at war, a 14 year old and a 7 year old were qualified to take care of a child with DOWN SYNDROME!!)

So tell me where are the 5 kids that need to be taken care of at?????????? That will hamper ability to do her job as VP?
Because I count 3 at home. A teen coming up soon pre teen and a infant!

As far as the pregnant daughter I dont know any pregnant woman that needed to be taken care of by anyone unless there were complications with the pregnancy and was bed ridden so that is also a non issue!
The key word in your sentence is WOMAN!! This a girl we are talking about....a girl who has a HS education......well at least 3 years of one and a baby's daddy who by all accounts is a jack ass according to his MySpace page (yes from 5 months ago but they are firing teachers and business people over MySpace so it's a legit concern).

Old 09-02-2008, 02:18 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
I'm sorry, but being the first in line to be the leader of the free world is not in the same class as "working mother". How do you classify working mother? Teacher, lawyer, doctor, office worker... not the Vice President of the United States! This ain't a typical job. Get real. She is leaving her little baby in the dust. I think it's great that dad is staying home to take care of the little ones, but I've said it before, I have zero respect for her as a mother and woman.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:22 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,489 times
look i don't care if she's a mother or not, the woman is NOT prepared to be second-in-line to the highest office in the nation. She didn't even know what a vice president did!!! She had to ASK!!! Good Lord, I think McCain is really becoming demented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections