Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:47 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times

Advertisements

I have heard several things about McCain in his military career. One he was regularly dealing with issues of rage and an uncontrollable temper and two that he had crashed 3 planes. On the surface this would scream to me that his qualifications should be looked at. Why wouldnt the military think the same? if he is regulaly making mistakes seems he coould be a safety threat to himself and others. Wouldnt the military ground him? did they ever investigate his performance?
I know it would not be a proper thing to question a former POW, after all they did suffer for their country. I just can't help but wonder if perhaps he was just not competent enough to fly and perhaps the military superiors in his day were not doing their duty. Anyone else have insight or thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 08:48 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
His father was the admiral over the Pacific during McCain's stay in the POW prison.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:01 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
His father was the admiral over the Pacific during McCain's stay in the POW prison.
Was his father in charge of overseeing his fitness to continue flying?

Old 07-13-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
That's not what I claimed. I only said that his father was the Admiral in charge of the Pacific while he was in POW prison. I was wrong. He was actually in charge of the Vietnam theater. Whether or not he received special treatment due to that is an assumption you need to make.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:13 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:
That's not what I claimed. I only said that his father was the Admiral in charge of the Pacific while he was in POW prison. I was wrong. He was actually in charge of the Vietnam theater. Whether or not he received special treatment due to that is an assumption you need to make.
No, I wasn't assuming he was, only asking as a clarification to learn something I didn't know. The op has posted a pretty interesting question.....

I imagine it would be tough to be an Admiral while your son was in POW status.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:18 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,507,975 times
I'm no great fan of McCain but I think it's sorry to try so hard to find something on McCain. How about taking a look at Obama and questioning his chore values? Now there's someone that is scary IMO.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
No, I wasn't assuming he was, only asking as a clarification to learn something I didn't know. The op has posted a pretty interesting question.....

I imagine it would be tough to be an Admiral while your son was in POW status.
Claims have been made that McCain was treated better than other POWs because he was the Admiral's son.

Based on what I've read of his biography, McCain had some bad luck. His mission that landed him in the Hanoi Hilton was brought to an end by a missile. That's not really something (in the 1960s) that a fighter pilot could really do much about. A few case studies proved that it was their training rather than their ability that led to so many casualties and downed planes.

Quote:
What observations can be drawn from this brief look at US Air Force technology in the Vietnam War? First, the airmen can get off the hook, a little at least, for their inadequate technology early in the conflict in that they designed their weapons for the war their civilian superiors demanded: nuclear war. While it is true that the military does not pick the wars it fights, it does pick the technologies it uses.
Did USAF Technology Fail in Vietnam?

Old 07-13-2008, 09:25 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times
Quote:

Despite graduating in the bottom 1% of his class at the Naval Academy, McCain was offered the most sought after Navy assignment... to become an aircraft carrier pilot.

Naturally, being the son of an Admiral, he was given preferential treatment from the get go. Including, apparently during his time as a POW.

Quote:
A former Vietnamese Communist Party official is claiming Sen. John McCain was "quickly singled out for softer treatment" as a POW because "he was the son of an American admiral. Phung Van Chung, 70, who was a Communist Party official at the time McCain was captured said "top" Vietnamese leaders wanted to use McCain "for negotiations."
Vietnam Veterans Against John McCain

Old 07-13-2008, 09:33 AM

McCain asked to be a fighter pilot. He also claims that his standing in school was based on personal conflicts with the instructors rather than his ability. In some courses, he did very well. In those that didn't interest him, such as math, he did very poorly.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:38 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times
Quote:
McCain asked to be a fighter pilot. He also claims that his standing in school was based on personal conflicts with the instructors rather than his ability. In some courses, he did very well. In those that didn't interest him, such as math, he did very poorly.
Whatever the reasons he finished 894 out of 899, not exactly a stellar performance. Certainly being the son of an Admiral had it's advantages, I don't think that can be disputed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections