Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:39 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times

Advertisements

With regards to the sub-prime loans, I think a lot of responsibility lies with the mortgage companies who gave out these loans. I'm educated, highly educated, but when I went to the lender to get that business in order, it's a confusing process. I can only imagine how other people can get swayed to take more than they should.

The foreclosures that I have seen in Michigan are mostly due to loss of jobs.

I never said free health care to all, but I would like more of a discussion as to how it can be reformed. And to be honest, in Europe, they don't have shoddy health care. We can do much better.

Oh, hey, I forgot one more: THE ENVIRONMENT. We should not elect someone who doesn't think Global Warming is man-made. I'm shaking my head in disbelief that people still think this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
That's what they don't understand. They want to wage two "wars" simultaneously, while giving tax breaks to corporations who eventually relocate outside America, so they can pay zero taxes. Instead we borrow it from China.

I'd like to implement a tax system which raises taxes on those in favor of the war (let them pay for it) while drafting young republicans to go fight. Lets see how much longer Iraq lasts.

That'll be the day!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:46 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Forclosures: 7,000 homes are going into forclosure every day thanks to these sub-prime loans.
The problem is that housing prices increased beyond what people could readily afford, so of course at some point there has to be a correction. This has nothing to do with the current, or any other administration. Trying to prop up housing prices does nothing but sell out the future.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:49 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
This has nothing to do with the current, or any other administration.

Lack of government regulation of our banks and Wall Street certainly does.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:50 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
That'll be the day!
Iraq would end overnight if their kids had to fight, or their taxes were raised, you bet.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:54 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Quote:
My research is what I see in schools everyday, my research is going back to my hometown in Michigan and seeing block
Quote:
after block of houses in forclosure
. No where on the news did I read that banks were putting guns to people's head and making them take these loans. It doesn't take a financial wizard to understand you can't afford a $300,000 house on $50,000 a year. No matter how you count the money. So maybe people should have thought before they bought these houses. It always comes back to being responsible for your own actions instead of blaming someone else

My research is watching jobs that honest Americans did go overseas.... you must be a moron not to see how everday life has been affected by the Bushies.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:08 PM

4 posts, read 7,783 times
Quote:
Well come on Republicans.... BRING IT ON.....
okay we'll bring it

Old 09-03-2008, 07:26 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
We have been watching the middle class slowly disappear since the Reagan days when he broke the back of labor unions to a large degree. People had come so far from the beginning of the union movement and the beginning of the middle class that they had forgotten how they got there. When labor unions provided the floor on which things like wages, working conditions, and fringe benefits built a livable life for the American worker we all profitted. Working people began to be able to afford home ownership, take vacations, buy healthy food, and have disposable income for some of life's perks. Their ability to consume spurred the growth of so many industries. Even those without a union profitted because employers wanting good workers had to pay a competitive wage. When the unions broke the wages, working conditions, etc. began to falter and slowly recede. With Clinton's NAFTA and Bush's tax breaks for companies exporting jobs, what had begun as a slow drop in the middle class became a full scale rushing tide. The middle class has shrunk to such a degree that it has become negligible and with its disappearance the rest of the economy began to shrink. There are still people who want to pretend that as long as the rich are okay then we will all benefit. They just don't know history and don't seem to understand that it never was the rich that made this country prosper. It was the middle class.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:26 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
It's all a distraction from the big issues like:

The economy: It's tanking thanks to Bush. People are worst off today than 8 years ago. It's a fact.

Health care: There's no excuse that 45 million Americans are without healthcare. What are we, some 3rd world country?

Education: Thanks to NCLB, schools are having to shell out money that should be going to the kids. It's an unfunded mandate and needs to be corrected.

The Right to Choose: The Republicans are bringing it back into the spotlight to shore up the Christian vote. They could care less about babies after they are born, they only care about them when they aren't born.... hypocrits...

Forclosures: 7,000 homes are going into forclosure every day thanks to these sub-prime loans.

Unemployment: It's going up, and no one can convince me otherwise. A job at Wal-Mart doesn't substitute a job lost at an auto plant.

The War: How can I forget the war, the illegal war that has put us trillions into debt.

If you care about America and middle class values, the choice is clear, Obama-Biden is the right ticket. If you are part of the rich minority or the radical Christian Conservative group, then go ahead and vote for McCain.

<yawn>

Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Iraq would end overnight if their kids had to fight, or their taxes were raised, you bet.

That is exactly why Bush has borrowed from China to pay for his war. Because he knows that as long as he doesn't ask much of his people in the way of sacrifice then they will let him play captain commander. If it is our kids dying and our grandchildren who will be repayng China, then they just don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections