Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:45 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Because I think it's of bad character to dump a wife who waited for 5+ years for her husband to return from a POW camp. Carol McCain waited for him and he got home and dissolved their marriage. Just because his family has forgiven him, does not make what he did right. Children forgive their parents for much worse things, such as abuse, for instance. The fact of the matter is that he left his handicapped wife upon his return. You can't put a rosy glow on that. Good for Carol and the children for forgiving him. They have shown better character than he has in this matter. I'm not implying that John McCain is an evil man. He's done much good for his country and people. You need to look at this objectively. Would you want your sister, mother or friend to suffer through a tragic car accident, become handicapped and then have her husband leave her?
He came home in 73 spent a year in the hospital, and stayed with her till 1979. The marriage was broken. It was 6 years not overnight like you suggest.

I find it absolutely amazing that anybody would expect someone to come back from that experience "normal" but he pulled it off somehow.

Nobody in your circle ever divorced? Anybody in your circle spend 5 years being tortured and a year in the hospital?

Do you know any veterans from actual wars? Some old men from World War 2 still have post traumatic stress.

Liberals....who would have thought. Abortion at will for the WHOLE 9 MONTHS FOR ANY REASON IS FINE....divorcing after being a tortured POW is a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 11:48 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
Most rich people just write a check to support charities, most do not travel overseas and do physical labor, sleep in tents, get their hand dirty, hold sick babies and children, cry with mothers of dying children, and bring home a "less than perfect" orphaned baby. Cindy McCain is not afraid to roll up her sleeves and get dirty to help those less fortunate than herself - she doesn't just talk the talk, she walks the walk.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:52 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Because I think it's of bad character to dump a wife who waited for 5+ years for her husband to return from a POW camp. Carol McCain waited for him and he got home and dissolved their marriage. Just because his family has forgiven him, does not make what he did right. Children forgive their parents for much worse things, such as abuse, for instance. The fact of the matter is that he left his handicapped wife upon his return. You can't put a rosy glow on that. Good for Carol and the children for forgiving him. They have shown better character than he has in this matter. I'm not implying that John McCain is an evil man. He's done much good for his country and people. You need to look at this objectively. Would you want your sister, mother or friend to suffer through a tragic car accident, become handicapped and then have her husband leave her?
My male cousin came back a mess from Vietnam -- crippled and brain-injured. He was a totally different, changed person and so was his wife. He was crippled and she lost patience with his disabilities. If he had trouble eating and asked for help, she'd dump his food over his head. Because of what he endured in the war, he had emotional problems and would scream at her, too. They divorced.

It happens. Is it ideal? Of course not. Yep, Judy also waited impatiently for my cousin Johnny to come back from the war but reality was something entirely different. War changes people and I'm not going to judge them. Johnny and Judy remained friends but they could no longer be married. He moved back in with my aunt and she cared for him until he had a massive stroke and died. It was very, very sad.

I heard a quote from Carol McCain (first wife) that said something like she was waiting for her 35-year-old husband but he returned as a 25-year-old who had lost several years of his life he wanted back. The psychological issues of POWs and their families shouldn't be in the realm of criticism. We don't know all they go through.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:58 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Excellent comment. Trying to pass Cindy McCain off as a woman of substance and character is much about smoke a mirrors. The same people who bought the line about Bush deserving to be president 4 more years, obvious bought the Cindy nonsense.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:00 AM

....and if Carol supports John and doesn't hold any grudges or animosity towards him, who are we to judge? Why is it any of our business that they remain friends in spite of divorce?
Democrats LOVED Bill despite him having sex with women other than his wife for many years....some right in our Oval Office of our White House.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:03 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
....and if Carol supports John and doesn't hold any grudges or animosity towards him, who are we to judge? Why is it any of our business that they remain friends in spite of divorce?
Democrats LOVED Bill despite him having sex with women other than his wife for many years....some right in our Oval Office of our White House.
Excellent point!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:03 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Excellent comment. Trying to pass Michelle Obama off as a woman of substance and character is much about smoke a mirrors. The same people who bought the line about Obama deserving to be president 4 years, obvious bought the Michelle is nonsense.
There, NOW your comment is correct.

Michelle is just one big sob story. Cindy is a story of success and charity. I didn't hear about Michelles grand charity events, but Cindy is a definate humanitarian.

She has a child from adoption from a foreign country. I doubt the Obama's would ever adopt a baby.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:04 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
I can judge because I don't go around claiming I'm all about FAMILY VALUES and I'm against trying to legislate the morality of others?

That's why I have a right to question those who do do this.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:10 AM

This was 30 years ago....he is now happily married and a wonderful husband and father - with his former wife's blessings.
Obama has many skeletons in his closet from years ago too - the difference is McCain admits and regrets his, while Obama lies about and denies his.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:15 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Most rich people just write a check to support charities, most do not travel overseas and do physical labor, sleep in tents, get their hand dirty, hold sick babies and children, cry with mothers of dying children, and bring home a "less than perfect" orphaned baby. Cindy McCain is not afraid to roll up her sleeves and get dirty to help those less fortunate than herself - she doesn't just talk the talk, she walks the walk.

Exactly right. I am so glad they told Cindy McCain's story so everyone can understand what she is about and not judge her just on appearance the fact that she comes from money. She is an amazing person and has done so much good in the world. I have great respect for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections