Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 09:04 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times

Advertisements

LOL - Boyington was not only shot down and captured - the sub that captured him was also sunk shortly after dropping him off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 09:08 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,589,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Using your calculus, Chuck Yeager and "Pappy" Boyington come instantly to mind.

Hey, her husband has asthma, that makes him...well nothing.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:30 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yeah, but five to one guy?

Has that ever happened in the past?

I would not think anyone would allow that guy up in a plane again.

Those things are expensive not to mention that the lives of the rest of the people on board must have some value to out armed forces.
it happened quite a bit during WWII, many planes were lost due to damage, and malfunctions. When you went out, chances were better that you WOULD NOT return, so for every aircraft given, it is pure luck that he even got back to get another. The planes used during Korea, and Vietnam were not that much more advanced than WWII aircraft. Add a Jet engine instead of a propeller and you have the tech. used during this time.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
How many times has a guy lost FIVE????

As I said, it's like the kid who skipped school many times, with that credible excuse each time, but somehow you stop believing him.
and we have awnsered, do some research!!

Old 09-06-2008, 05:01 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
I doubt he does but he may think ANYBODY who would think this was his fault is an idiot. Me, being one who has more then his share of flight deck experience KNOWS it.
Exactly. My guess goes to static charge and a safetying device, but it's been a few years since I read up on the incident.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:08 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Good or bad as a pilot of planes,,,,,, maybe the Navy should have given him a PT-boat instead and saved McSame from his own bad luck?

Old 09-06-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Good or bad as a pilot of planes,,,,,, maybe the Navy should have given him a PT-boat instead and saved McSame from his own bad luck?
the plane was a dinosaur fighting space age aliens, it was designed for use during WWII, how in hell it survived for service in Korea, and Vietnam I would never know.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:31 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Now it’s the plane’s fault! I still think it was John's bad luck or he should have had a PT boat.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Now it’s the plane’s fault! I still think it was John's bad luck or he should have had a PT boat.
the plane (A-1), although it did a good job was a mechanical nightmare, with outdated tech. Quite a few military vehicles were designed hastily and suffered from mechanical problems thought the service life. the Sherman was one of them, the Tiger, and the Kongis Tiger were some examples of land based vehicles that had major problems, though still pressed into service by the countries that used them. The P-38 Lightning which was a leap forward in aircraft tech. during WWII was left with several mechanical problems that were overlooked to get the thing in the air. The superchargers for its twin engines would overheat and literally weld the bolts to the head of the engine. The original Engine used in the famous P-51 mustang was under powered, and caused disastrous during the early life of the aircraft, they eventually fixed it by installing British produced engines, but none the less the early models cost its number of lives while being flown.

Yes, I am blaming quite a bit of the prob ems he had on the aircraft and its design flaws. It was a good aircraft when it came to firepower, it was designed for ground attack and troop support. It could take some damage and keep flying, but its inherit design flaws led to many crashes.

These planes were to the Russian built migs of the time dinosaurs. Shooting one down can be compared to shooting a fish in a barrel with a 5" wide shell. They were slow compared to the jet counterpart, they were not as maneuverable and well... they were just old.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:59 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,589,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Exactly. My guess goes to static charge and a safetying device, but it's been a few years since I read up on the incident.
Just after the Forrestal disaster was when the Navy declared "Every sailor a firefighter" that was both officer and enlisted and they were trained as such. Navy dumb bombs were different then AF types as far as they had a protective high temp coating, it made the bomb "bumpy looking" but still the olive green.

At the time of the disaster they were OUT OF STOCK and had to use shore based bombs without the coating. The heat from the aircraft fires lit the bombs off and it was like a domino effect. My squadron was aboard when it happened (before I was in it) and the men that I knew that were involved verified McCain's story of the bravery and sacrifice of several of the men who perished in the explosions and flames. Whole compartments below deck were wiped out because of the holes ripped in the deck and JP flowing into those compartments incinerated the men inside.

Listen to McCains telling of it and he knew several men by name and gives full credit to their story. He likened the firehoses and extinguishers to M16's in a field of battle.

Does this and his POW experiences qualify him to be president? NO but it sure says something about his character and loyalty to THIS country. Sorry, Dumbo need not apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections