Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:07 AM

564 posts, read 815,739 times

Advertisements

Let's give it a shot...

We preach and preach that our politicians should reach across the aisle...
so let's walk the walk.

First, tell us who you are voting for.

Then tell us what you like about the other candidate.

As much as us McCain folks disagree with Obama there are a few things we like and vice versa.

I'll go first.

I'm voting for McCain.

I really like the fact that Obama is going to tax gains on homes sales. Yes, I'm conservative and yes I hate taxes. All that being said, speculation is also to blame in the housing market. People with almost no financial backing are buying up homes and flipping them for a quick buck. This has artificially raised home prices and led to this bubble, among other things.

I think taxing the gains on the sale of a home will discourage this behavior and help stabilize our housing market.

Ok, now everyone else try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 11:12 AM

874 posts, read 1,856,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
Let's give it a shot...

so let's walk the walk.

As much as us McCain folks disagree with Obama there are a few things we like and vice versa.

I'll go first.

I'm voting for McCain.

I really like the fact that Obama is going to tax gains on homes sales. Yes, I'm conservative and yes I hate taxes. All that being said, speculation is also to blame in the housing market. People with almost no financial backing are buying up homes and flipping them for a quick buck. This has artificially raised home prices and led to this bubble, among other things.

I think taxing the gains on the sale of a home will discourage this behavior and help stabilize our housing market.

Good idea. I have to run out and can't respond now but just a quick quip... Won't that hit reality TV where it hurts? I can't believe flipping has gotten so crazy they have multiple shows featuring the "personalities" who do it. Strange world we have.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
Good idea. I have to run out and can't respond now but just a quick quip... Won't that hit reality TV where it hurts? I can't believe flipping has gotten so crazy they have multiple shows featuring the "personalities" who do it. Strange world we have.

I'm glad you like the idea. I hope a lot of people will participate.

Their is a lot of hatred in these chat rooms. We need to come together on some issues.. dang, we're all Americans aren't we?

Old 09-21-2008, 11:39 AM

Are you people full of this much pride? I know you have to agree with one thing the other guy will do.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:45 AM

34,244 posts, read 18,603,941 times
I support and will vote for McCain because he has reached across the aisle on numerous occasions and is better suited to end the gridlock in Washington.

I like Obama as a speaker and personality. I think he has a lot of charisma and wish he could give some to McCain, who to me sounds like another Bob Dole.

I think Obama really believes his policies will work and genuinely wants to improve the lives of the poorer people in this country. He's intelligent and articulate and I think would represent our country well overseas, at least with image.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I support and will vote for McCain because he has reached across the aisle on numerous occasions and is better suited to end the gridlock in Washington.

I like Obama as a speaker and personality. I think he has a lot of charisma and wish he could give some to McCain, who to me sounds like another Bob Dole.

I think Obama really believes his policies will work and genuinely wants to improve the lives of the poorer people in this country. He's intelligent and articulate and I think would represent our country well overseas, at least with image.
Great post. Well, us McCain supporters seem willing to reach across the aisle.. much like the guy we are voting for.

Would any Obama supporters like to jump in?

Old 09-21-2008, 11:57 AM

Well,

I need to step into my football trance and watch football for the rest of the day.

This thread just proves what I've thought all along.

McCain voters have logical well thought out reasons for why they are voting for McCain. McCain voters can concede points to Obama because we know the issues. Plus we are not full of venom and hatred like our counterparts.

So far, not one Obama voter has posted here. Many of them are so full of venom and hatred that they can't concede even one point to the other candidate.

It's really sad.

Well, now to football.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:04 PM

9,373 posts, read 14,327,319 times
Easy.

The republicans will raid half the treasury for eight years through cockamamie monetary policy, the democrats will acquiesce, get their fair share of the spoils, and pretend to make opposition.

The democrats will raid the other half of the treasury for eight years through cockamamie fiscal policy, the republicans will acquiesce, get their fair share of the spoils, and pretend to make opposition.

Both will screw the people who in the meantime are high on the money supply and too distracted with red herring issues to notice.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:28 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,866,048 times
Quote:
Well,

I need to step into my football trance and watch football for the rest of the day.

This thread just proves what I've thought all along.

McCain voters have logical well thought out reasons for why they are voting for McCain. McCain voters can concede points to Obama because we know the issues. Plus we are not full of venom and hatred like our counterparts.

So far, not one Obama voter has posted here. Many of them are so full of venom and hatred that they can't concede even one point to the other candidate.

It's really sad.

Well, now to football.
You're a complete tool.

"Pssst... if Obama dies.. Michelle will eat Biden and become VP" - 123cop

"It just means, based on stats, black are fairly lazy compared to other races." - 123cop

"When you compare them side by side anyone with a brain knows Obama will destroy America." - 123cop

"If you've failed in life and refused to take responsibility for those failure.. you'll vote Obama." - 123cop

"Come on.. use your brain.. not Keith Olbermans.. give me some real examples of Obama going against his party???????" - 123cop

"If McCain is my fella then Obama must be your Homie " -123cop

"I'm going to say it again really SLOOOOOWWWWWW." -123cop

"They are anti-God.. she believes in God. They are anti-family. She has a big successful family." - 123cop

"The only people who truly believe what Dems hold dear to them are the left wing tree huggin' cappucino drinkin' nuts in California and our pot smoking idealistic college kids." - 123cop

"What the heck are all you failures going to point to when you lose your job under Obama's watch because your employer has to provide you healtcare and his payroll tax went up?" - 123cop

Yes, you're the enlightened centrist. Please share with all of us how the world works in 123cop's world.

This will probably be deleted and I'll be chastised, but oh well.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:34 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,193,312 times
Quote:
Let's give it a shot...

so let's walk the walk.

I'll go first.

I'm voting for McCain.

I have to say first that ,YES, you are so right on the 'house flipping' angle... It has become a US past-time and, fact is, it used to be that home gains *were* taxed on their gains, which made people more inclined to stay put and not speculate - which has caused at least part of this HUGE financial problem.

But, on to McCain (trying hard to put aside all those rancorous emotions); what I like about him is that he basically seems like a good and honorable guy - when you separate him from his *current* politics. But, sorry, I also have to note I DID like him better before when he stuck to his principles and I felt very sorrry for him when he had to defend himself against the Bush political slander machine.

Certainly, McCain feels a strong sense of service to his country as exemplified by his horrible POW experiences and his maverick stands on some issues. I also believe he believes he is truly dedicated to doing his best for his country.

Conclusion: A nice honorable man in service to his country, willing to take stands on unpopular issues such as 'the surge'. If he is elected it will be a decided improvement over our current president and I will support him [gritting teeth] although I would have felt much more comfortable with a Mitt Romney, Kay Bailey Hutchinson or even Ron Paul in the passenger seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections