Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:09 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I saw on tv the film of her shooting at animals from a helicopter - so the tv news company was a lie?
This sounds fun!
Q: Sarah Palin, the governor of Alaska and John McCain's vice presidential pick, is an enthusiastic hunter who has proposed legislation and cash incentives to encourage aerial wolf gunning, the controversial practice of shooting wolves from an aircraft. Do people in Alaska really shoot wolves from planes?

A: Yes, but only with the government's permission. Aerial shooting yields better results than traditional hunting, since it allows the hunter to cover a lot of ground quickly and track target animals from a clear vantage point. Historically, hunters also used planes to drive animals—polar bears in Alaska and elk in Montana, among others—toward gunmen waiting on the ground. But many hunters found the practice unsportsmanlike, since it violates the "fair chase" ethic, and animal rights activists call it inhumane, since airborne gunmen rarely get a clean (i.e., relatively painless) kill. In response to concerns like these, Congress passed the Federal Airborne Hunting Act of 1972, which made it illegal for hunters to shoot animals from a plane or helicopter.
What's aerial wolf gunning, and why does vice presidential Sarah Palin support the practice? - By Samantha Henig - Slate Magazine

Note. Alaska currently "enjoys" a loophole in the Federal Airborne Hunting Act of 1972, allowing it on the grounds of "predator control." This is how Sarah can kill wild animals legally (and safely - like a typical coward). If you'd like to help close the loophole and put a stop to this cruel bloodsport, you can support the PAW (Protect America's Wildlife) Act.

Hey animal killers! Here's a jolly video for you! ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zoë's Paradise Blog: Governor Sarah Palin: A Champion for Brutal Aerial Hunting

Old 09-22-2008, 08:15 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This sounds fun!
Q: Sarah Palin, the governor of Alaska and John McCain's vice presidential pick, is an enthusiastic hunter who has proposed legislation and cash incentives to encourage aerial wolf gunning, the controversial practice of shooting wolves from an aircraft. Do people in Alaska really shoot wolves from planes?

A: Yes, but only with the government's permission. Aerial shooting yields better results than traditional hunting, since it allows the hunter to cover a lot of ground quickly and track target animals from a clear vantage point. Historically, hunters also used planes to drive animals—polar bears in Alaska and elk in Montana, among others—toward gunmen waiting on the ground. But many hunters found the practice unsportsmanlike, since it violates the "fair chase" ethic, and animal rights activists call it inhumane, since airborne gunmen rarely get a clean (i.e., relatively painless) kill. In response to concerns like these, Congress passed the Federal Airborne Hunting Act of 1972, which made it illegal for hunters to shoot animals from a plane or helicopter.
What's aerial wolf gunning, and why does vice presidential Sarah Palin support the practice? - By Samantha Henig - Slate Magazine

Note. Alaska currently "enjoys" a loophole in the Federal Airborne Hunting Act of 1972, allowing it on the grounds of "predator control." This is how Sarah is allowed to kill animals legally. If you'd like to help close the loophole and put a stop to this cruel bloodsport, you can support the PAW (Protect America's Wildlife) Act.

Hey animal killers! Here's a jolly video for you! ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zoë's Paradise Blog: Governor Sarah Palin: A Champion for Brutal Aerial Hunting

Not only is the woman stupid and ill-informed, but now she's a sicko.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:19 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Not only is the woman stupid and ill-informed, but now she's a sicko.
And cruel. And a coward. And an animal killer.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:31 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
You all have a political agenda with this argument...nothing more.

Let me know when you guys have the rights of all the animals in your interest and not placing Sarah Palins head on a stick. Otherwise the WILDLIFE CONSERVATION has this well under control....

Or would you rather all the species die out.....you think wolves stop hunting because their favorite choice of food is extinct?

Are wolves endangered in Alaska? No. Although the wolf survives as an endangered species in a handful of states, from 7,500 to 10,000 wolves populate Alaska — from the most remote wilderness region to the suburbs of our largest cities. Because so much of this state is undeveloped, with more than 160 million acres permanently set aside in protected status (an area larger than California), the wolf is assured of a permanent home in Alaska. The division's Wildlife Management home page contains more information about the wolf in Alaska — its status, biology, and management.

Frequently Asked Questions - Alaska Department of Fish and Game - Division of Wildlife Conservatione

Where's the outcry???
Eskimo Curlew: Endangered Species in Alaska - Alaska Department of Fish and Game
http://alaska.fws.gov/fisheries/enda...Lfactsheet.pdf
Humpback Whale: Endangered Species in Alaska - Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Northern Right Whale: Endangered Species in Alaska - Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Blue Whale: Endangered Species in Alaska - Alaska Department of Fish and Game

These must be the issues you think she should be interviewed about..

Predator Control

Wolves and bears are very effective and efficient predators on caribou, moose, deer and other wildlife. In most of Alaska, humans also rely on the same species for food. In Alaska's Interior, predators kill more than 80 percent of the moose and caribou that die during an average year, while humans kill less than 10 percent. In most of the state, predation holds prey populations at levels far below what could be supported by the habitat in the area. Predation is an important part of the ecosystem, and all ADF&G wolf management programs, including control programs, are designed to sustain wolf populations in the future.

Aerial Wolf Predator Control in Alaska, Alaska Department of Fish and Game Videos

Other links:
Wolf: Wildlife Notebook Series - Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Alexander Archipelago Wolf, Alaska Department of Fish and Game Videos
Infestation of Lice Among Wild Canids in Alaska, Alaska Department of Fish and Game Videos

Wolf Management Report:
Management and Harvest Reports, Division of Wildlife Conservation, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Wolf research:
Wildlife Research Reports, Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Division of Wildife Conservation

Old 09-22-2008, 05:56 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,618 times
Quote:
I know guys who like to hunt - ok, its not my idea of fun, its like something I would do if I had to but its not exactly fun for me to shoot an animal and watch the life and blood ooze out if it. At least i know some guys who shoot with a bow and arrow, and theres some sort of skill, but to get a big yuk out of shooting figh in a barrel, or animals in a helicopter? Yeah - its a cowards act.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I agree. But I don't think that Sarah Palin ever personally held an aerial wolf permit.

Of course if she ever did, it's all duct taped shut by now.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:45 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I agree. But I don't think that Sarah Palin ever personally held an aerial wolf permit.

Of course if she ever did, it's all duct taped shut by now.
I dont think I would be comfortable sleeping next to someone like that. I would think somethings wrong with her.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:48 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
No, it's much better to watch predators kill your livestock by dragging the half born animal out of it's mother and eating both alive. Sometimes you have to kill predators if there are too many. This is a manmade problem and for now, a man made solution.

Alaska is big, a chopper makes sense.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:49 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,589,014 times
Quote:

She kills inmates from above?

Old 09-22-2008, 06:56 PM

365 posts, read 692,475 times
So I suppose fishing and crabbing is bad, too? Is everyone here vegetarains? Sheesh! Grill up a steak and relax...live a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections