Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:11 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,292,489 times

Advertisements

Here in Austin I have noticed that a lot of homes and businesses that once had Ron Paul signs up, now have Obama signs displayed. Is it because Obama was against the interventionist war in Iraq from the start? Is it because our current Republican president has been presiding over a massive expansion of government and debt, and McCain voted with him over 90% of the time?

I have noticed this phenomena on a lot of message boards as well. Are there any Paul supporters turned Obama supporters who can enlighten me?

Last edited by brattpowered; 09-18-2008 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 11:13 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Yeah, Obama was against the war from the start ..... lucky him he never had to actually put his "conviction" to the test and actually VOTE on it, however.

Meh, just as well. He probably would have voted "Present" anyway.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:15 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times
The straightalk express has no brakes and is headed towards a wall, the driver and his assistant tell you everything's ok, the fundamentals of the bus (it's motor) is strong you look out and see an oil leak....what'dya do?

Old 09-18-2008, 11:16 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times
Thumbs down huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yeah, Obama was against the war from the start ..... lucky him he never had to actually put his "conviction" to the test and actually VOTE on it, however.

There's no "present" vote in the US SENATE.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:18 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times
I supported Ron Paul and now support Obama. Both men are not your every day, run of the mill, politician, which I find refreshing. Paul got my respect at the Republican debates by standing up to these liars and calling them out on their bull****. He's a true conservative, and while I disagreed with him on a few things, I found his strict adherence to the COTUS was more important than anything. Something the last eight years has done everything in their power to gut. Both relied on grass root methods to crank up their machine and it was inspiring to watch.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:19 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Duh.....

Old 09-18-2008, 11:19 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,247,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Here in Austin I have noticed that a lot of homes and businesses that once had Ron Paul signs up, now have Obama signs displayed. Is it because Obama was against the interventionist war in Iraq from the start? Was it because our current Republican president has been presiding over a massive expansion of government and debt, and McCain voted with him over 90% of the time?

I have noticed this phenomena on a lot of message boards as well. Are there any Paul supporters turned Obama supporters who can enlighten me?
You nailed it for me, the war in Iraq, and the fact that the Democrat Party is now the party of fiscal responsibility. We go from budget surplus w/ Clinton to a all time record deficit w/ Bush, and we know McSame is the same as Bush, hence, it was easier to move my support to Obama, especially, once he started moderating some of his positions (ie, now open to allow drilling), and of course that fact that he'll cut taxes for 95% of us. I'm not in agreement w/ all of his policies, but more of the same is not going to get us out of the current mess we're in.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:22 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,247,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I supported Ron Paul and now support Obama. Both men are not your every day, run of the mill, politician, which I find refreshing. Paul got my respect at the Republican debates by standing up to these liars and calling them out on their bull****. He's a true conservative, and while I disagreed with him on a few things, I found his strict adherence to the COTUS was more important than anything. Something the last eight years has done everything in their power to gut. Both relied on grass root methods to crank up their machine and it was inspiring to watch.
Definitely agree w/ you about Paul, trying to stop the gutting of the US Constitution. Hopefully, President Obama will stop some of these Bush Policies that are unconstitutional, such as many elements of the Patriot Act.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:22 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Duh.....
And that about sums it up.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:24 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Here in Austin I have noticed that a lot of homes and businesses that once had Ron Paul signs up, now have Obama signs displayed. Is it because Obama was against the interventionist war in Iraq from the start? Was it because our current Republican president has been presiding over a massive expansion of government and debt, and McCain voted with him over 90% of the time?

I don't know if that is true or not. While I'm sure it is for those Paul supporters who focused mostly on the anti-war position, there are many other issues for a large number of Paul supporters that Obama is in complete contradiction of.

If I actually believed that Obama was truly an anti-war candidate, I might give him a second look despite being inexperienced. However Obama is doing little more than talking out of one side of his mouth for the sake of political expedience and to keep the anti-war left in the fold. If elected, I doubt you will see any great strategic moves in foreign policy out of Obama from the currently held position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections