Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:56 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I do. I have said before I don't really trust the polls, either way. But how can I complain about a poll McCain is leading in when the party affiliation still favors a democrat?

There are two polls out today from Calif that have Obama by 10 in each. At first glance, that would seem very close, too close for some. But looking at the party ID of one, it looks like they oversampled republicans; 44(D), 39(R), 16(I).

SurveyUSA Election Poll #14440

Too me this is a faulty poll, because I know there are many more dems than reps in Calif. You have to ask yourself, why is the pollster doing that?

The other is 42-32-21, but the sampling is "adults"

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...ama-did-2.html

I can immediately tell these two polls are faulty.
I don't agree with you very often but I apply the same techniques when looking at polls and statistics. When I was taking my graduate classes, some of my favorite courses were my stats courses. If anyone wants to be better equipped to look at data, they should read Darrell Huff's book How to Lie with Statistics. It will certainly make clear how numbers can be manipulated to support any agenda which is why you need to review who is sponsoring the poll or research, how is the sampling being done, what is the margin of error, etc. You should also compare findings to other similar data sources. I happen to believe Obama may have a slight lead based on a combination of the data I've been reading but there is a high margin of error (I believe higher than what's reported) so I'm not jumping up and down. Neither party should be resting on their laurels by relying on these poll results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 09:26 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,282,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You guys have to remember the polls are USED by the media to give the perception they want. And they obviously are rooting for obama. They manipulate the party affiliation, and sometimes you have wild disparity between the pollsters and what figure they use.

So when obama is up by 5 with 10% more dems you can look at that as a tie. Also have to look at other demographics and how they play with those numbers as well.
Then why do you post links to polls when they are in McCain's favor?

Old 09-28-2008, 09:30 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,123,063 times
Republicans:

The first step to recovery is to stop denying your eventuality. Once you come to grips with Obama being President everything else will fall right in line and you will stop making these ridiculous claims in hopes of trying to convince yourself otherwise.....LOL

Old 09-28-2008, 09:36 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
There is a reason a majority of Americans think Obama won the debate: Because McCain is an angry, rude, condescending old fart who is, quite honestly, not much better than Bush. At least Bush knew he was too stupid to make a decision all by himself, McCain will actually think he is qualified.

Americans may not all be in love with Obama as much as they are concerned about McCain.

And with Ms. South Carolina as his running mate, the picture gets even worse for that 72 year old geezer.

Go back to Arizona John and convince the voters there to keep sending your angry butt to Washington. We have alot of damage to repair from the past 8 years and cannot tolerate you doing 4 more years of damage

Old 09-28-2008, 10:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
I don't agree with you very often but I apply the same techniques when looking at polls and statistics. When I was taking my graduate classes, some of my favorite courses were my stats courses. If anyone wants to be better equipped to look at data, they should read Darrell Huff's book How to Lie with Statistics. It will certainly make clear how numbers can be manipulated to support any agenda which is why you need to review who is sponsoring the poll or research, how is the sampling being done, what is the margin of error, etc. You should also compare findings to other similar data sources. I happen to believe Obama may have a slight lead based on a combination of the data I've been reading but there is a high margin of error (I believe higher than what's reported) so I'm not jumping up and down. Neither party should be resting on their laurels by relying on these poll results.
It will be interesting on election night. The exit polls in 2004 where so very wrong - They had Kerry taking the election by a comfortable margin. They will have to be careful, considering how obama overpolls compared to the actual vote.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:51 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
I called the debate and said McCain would show up when the dems here said he would not.

I am calling something else.

There will be an October surprise and Obama will go down. Keep your eyes and ears peeled.

He has far to much dirty laundry to go at and so far the media and his protectors have kept him from it. Not any more.

The skeletons will fall on Obama, its a matter of time.

Won't happen.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:26 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
I felt McCain did marginaly better overall in the debate, but his use of stale lines from stump speeches hurt him. I'm on the fence in this election and am very unhappy with both candidates. In any case, whoever wins in November will be utterly overwhelmed by events. Even King Solomon couldn't help us at this point.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:37 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Poise and presentation were the deciding factors in Win or Lose. Obama was able to retain his composure and to express himself clearly both on detail and on vision....he was in command and inspired respect and confidence. He passed the test of.....is he ready?

Contrast this with the grimacing, pouting, eye twitching and mumbling angry man who was McCain.
He came off as a pugnacious banty rooster strutting around the barnyard looking for a fight and not caring about what. He makes the words, "My Friends" sound like a curse. It is like a drop of spittle that escapes his mouth involuntariy and hits you in the face--you want to wipe it off.

His inability to make eye contact or to address his adversary is a clear view into his ability to negotiate.

I also thought McCain's hero worship of Gen Petreaus began to make it seem like the wrong war hero was running. He uses the general's name like a "get out of jail free card" in a close game of monopoly or an incantation that if he says it he gets extra points, even if he is wrong.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:12 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,344,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
There is a reason a majority of Americans think Obama won the debate: Because McCain is an angry, rude, condescending old fart who is, quite honestly, not much better than Bush. At least Bush knew he was too stupid to make a decision all by himself, McCain will actually think he is qualified.

Americans may not all be in love with Obama as much as they are concerned about McCain.

And with Ms. South Carolina as his running mate, the picture gets even worse for that 72 year old geezer.

Go back to Arizona John and convince the voters there to keep sending your angry butt to Washington. We have alot of damage to repair from the past 8 years and cannot tolerate you doing 4 more years of damage
He shows anger so well - he grits his little teeth, and it looks like spit is going to come out of his mouth. We can't have an angry person in charge of the free world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections