Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If The Running Mates Were Reversed, Which Ticket Would You Support?
Obama/Palin 6 10.17%
McCain/Biden 24 40.68%
Dora the Explorer/Tickle Me Elmo 31 52.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:11 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times

Advertisements

Last week I was causing a small stir because I had my custom user title reading "Obama/Palin 2008---Yes, You Read That Correctly." Why, may you ask? I'm supporting Sen. Barack Obama this November, but I must say that I continue to be impressed by the "down-to-earth" persona exuded by Gov. Sarah Palin. I know very little about Sen. Joseph Biden, other than the fact that he, like Sen. Hillary Clinton, is from my hometown of Scranton, PA, has one of the most liberal voting records in Congress, and commutes daily between his home in Northern Delaware and Washington, DC on Amtrak. Governor Palin may obviously not be the best orator (as evidenced by her disastrous interview with Katie Couric and the resulting belly-laughs drawn at her expense from Tina Fey's earth-shattering SNL skits), but if you read the text of the interview you can see that she does indeed have a decent understanding of the issues facing her nation today. It is my belief that she's had limited exposure to being in the media spotlight, and being suddenly thrusted onto the television camera is giving her a lot of "stage fright."

One need not be a brilliant public speaker in order to lead effectively. Currently we have President Bush, who is not only a terrible orator but has also made just about the most erroneous decisions per capita out of any of our contemporary ex-presidents, but I'm sure if given a little time to do some research I could give you a list of plenty of successful and influential people who are where they are today without being gifted communicators. Give Governor Palin some time to shake off the jitters, and she may just pleasantly surprise you. With that being said she will not be receiving my vote in November because Sen. John McCain does not enthuse me, but if the tickets were reversed I think an Obama/Palin ticket vs. a McCain/Biden ticket would be very interesting, to say the least. You'd have young and charismatic (yet inexperienced) against old and cranky (yet experienced). In each case you'd have a social liberal paired with a social conservative, which may permit both tickets to mellow out a bit to become more moderate and attract a wider array of voters.

What do others think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 10:18 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,145,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Last week I was causing a small stir because I had my custom user title reading "Obama/Palin 2008---Yes, You Read That Correctly." Why, may you ask? I'm supporting Sen. Barack Obama this November, but I must say that I continue to be impressed by the "down-to-earth" persona exuded by Gov. Sarah Palin. I know very little about Sen. Joseph Biden, other than the fact that he, like Sen. Hillary Clinton, is from my hometown of Scranton, PA, has one of the most liberal voting records in Congress, and commutes daily between his home in Northern Delaware and Washington, DC on Amtrak. Governor Palin may obviously not be the best orator (as evidenced by her disastrous interview with Katie Couric and the resulting belly-laughs drawn at her expense from Tina Fey's earth-shattering SNL skits), but if you read the text of the interview you can see that she does indeed have a decent understanding of the issues facing her nation today. It is my belief that she's had limited exposure to being in the media spotlight, and being suddenly thrusted onto the television camera is giving her a lot of "stage fright."

One need not be a brilliant public speaker in order to lead effectively. Currently we have President Bush, who is not only a terrible orator but has also made just about the most erroneous decisions per capita out of any of our contemporary ex-presidents, but I'm sure if given a little time to do some research I could give you a list of plenty of successful and influential people who are where they are today without being gifted communicators. Give Governor Palin some time to shake off the jitters, and she may just pleasantly surprise you. With that being said she will not be receiving my vote in November because Sen. John McCain does not enthuse me, but if the tickets were reversed I think an Obama/Palin ticket vs. a McCain/Biden ticket would be very interesting, to say the least. You'd have young and charismatic (yet inexperienced) against old and cranky (yet experienced). In each case you'd have a social liberal paired with a social conservative, which may permit both tickets to mellow out a bit to become more moderate and attract a wider array of voters.

What do others think?
I'm afraid that I would change to Biden/McCain....ya, I typed that right....second choice McCain/Biden....

The thought of Palin , that weak-kneed airhead religious freak being anywhere near the presidency is the scariest thing I can imagine.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:23 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,721 times
Dora checks her map often before proceeding forward with anything. It shows caution and prudence before making a decision which I admire in a candidate. She also has a magic backpack which certainly would help in a sticky situation. Elmo can be impulsive but he has a genuine appreciation for people of all backgrounds so hi's chances of being successful at working bipartisan are good. Having cross network candidates can only add to their strength with the merging of both the public and private sectors.

Dora/Elmo 2012

Old 09-28-2008, 10:25 PM

You forgot to mention that when you squeeze Elmo's tummy he elicits a laugh similar to that of Gov. Palin. Perhaps they're related?

Old 09-28-2008, 10:25 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,721 times
Rotfl!

Old 09-28-2008, 11:05 PM

434 posts, read 1,481,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I'm afraid that I would change to Biden/McCain....ya, I typed that right....second choice McCain/Biden....

The thought of Palin , that weak-kneed airhead religious freak being anywhere near the presidency is the scariest thing I can imagine.

same here. McCain blew it with that pick. He had a good shot until that 1st interview. Now we know why they kept her under wraps.. I can't believe reporters are saying that she has not been given the time to get comfortable. They fail to see that there are some people that will just be airheads.

Way to go Alaska. Is this the best in your state?

Old 09-28-2008, 11:05 PM

532 posts, read 908,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
L I continue to be impressed by the "down-to-earth" persona exuded by Gov. Sarah Palin. .snip.
What do others think?
If you think "down-to-earth" persona is a good reason to vote for the Vice President, then you are one of the people who got us into this George W Bush mess for the last 8 years. Thanks a lot.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:12 PM

552 posts, read 1,073,268 times
Whoops, for some reason I thought you were asking if I would vote for a Biden/Obama ticket instead of Obama/Biden.

I would NOT vote for Obama/Palin.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
If you think "down-to-earth" persona is a good reason to vote for the Vice President, then you are one of the people who got us into this George W Bush mess for the last 8 years. Thanks a lot.
Nope. I voted against Bush in 2004 and was too young to vote in 2000. You'd have to be an IDIOT to support Bush!

Old 09-28-2008, 11:21 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
McCain and Biden have been friends for many years, which is why I don't understand how McCain could have treated Obama with such contempt on Friday night.

I checked McCain/Biden, although I'm still not too sure about McCain's judgment after selecting Palin. Before the debate, I really thought his mind was going, but he was impressive. (whether or not I agree with him isn't the point...he did an excellent job) Of course I can't see McCain and Biden on the same ticket.

I've always been concerned that Obama is too liberal, but I hope what he said during the debate was true, that is, he seemed very liberal because he was in opposition to the Bush administration! Obama/Palin would never work. I think Obama/Kermit would be better. Kermit could represent the Green Movement.

Palin should not be on the ticket - period. Even the very conservative Republicans are asking her to step down. She is not an idiot as others have called her on this forum, just way over her head. Someone who's paid no attention to foreign affairs and never had a passport until 2007 does not belong in the White House. She didn't even understand that Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac were privately owned & not funded by taxpayers. Gosh, I even knew that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections