Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:48 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Well my love affair with Governor Palin ended last night when even after prefacing her comments with "I hope I don't sound intolerant..." she proceeded to offend me by saying that we had a "chosen lifestyle" and that she did not support ANY benefits of ANY sort for same-sex couples. Sen. Biden made it crystal clear that neither he nor Sen. Obama supported same-sex marriage (which is fine by me). However, he also proceeded to mention that he thought it was essential for same-sex couples to have hospital visitation rights, insurance/medical benefits, etc. the same as any heterosexual couple. When the moderator asked Gov. Palin if she agreed with Sen. Biden, she said (I'm going to paraphrase here) "I completely oppose redefining marriage to anything other than being between one man and one woman, and I worry that those would all take us in that direction." You have GOT to be kidding me! Permitting me to see my dying partner in the hospital is going to force gay marriage upon us? I don't think any heterosexual Republican with a shroud of intellect would be opposed to same-sex couples having hospital visitation rights guaranteed to them, yet apparently Sarah "dodge the question" Palin IS opposed?

Any gay/lesbian Republicans out there care to explain to me how you can STILL be supporting her after that enraging debacle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 08:53 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times
I'm a straight, married Christian living in the South, so my viewpoint may surprise you.

I think the term "tolerant" is infuriating. Tolerated? Does anyone seek to be tolerated?? How about respected, accepted, valued?

While we're at it, I don't remember choosing to be straight. What makes anyone believe gays make a choice? IMO, we are who are.

I have green eyes. I am right-handed. I like men. This is how I was born. Period.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:55 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
I don't see how any gay or lesbian person can be a republican considering what they stand for.

But ... Biden also agrees with her on the civil union aspects. No candidate supports gay marriage.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
She also said she was not opposed to any contracts between two adults.

So write a will, a living will, and establish power of attorney. Everything will be ok. Title your house as joint tenancy with right of survivorship.

I can't and won't get excited about the whole gay marriage thing b/c let's face it...marriage in this day and age is a big fat joke.

Having worked in hospitals for over 10 years, I can assure you that I have never seen anyone denied visitation b/c of relationship (unless the patient said, "I don't want to see so-and-so"). And once someone whips out the power of attorney paperwork, we defer to their decisions.

Obama/O'Biden are not going to get you gay marriage, either. They said as much. It should be left to the states, anyway.

Voting democrat just b/c you're gay makes about as much sense as voting republican just b/c of abortion. There are many more issues that are more important and relevant to everyday life that need to be considered. Unless being gay or preventing abortions are the most important things in your life...

Saying you have to be democrat b/c you're gay is one of the most stupid statements I have heard gay people utter repeatedly. Our values and our fiscal philosophies have nothing to do with who we sleep with.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:59 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
I can't believe you're surprised.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:00 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,010,497 times
Based on her image ScranBarre, did you ever think her stance of gay rights was different? She is extremely traditional. That's why so many traditionalists like her.

I am glad that you are finally seeing past her glasses and claims of being a pitbull with a dress. Just because she is a new/different face doesn't mean she has new/different ideas.

I thought it was strange that you ever liked her.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I think a couple of you missed my parenthetical insert in my original post about how I don't really care about same-sex marriage. What I DO care about are social justice issues. I've read horror stories about how same-sex couples who had been together for decades had to let their partner die alone in the hospital because they were not permitted to be with them to hold their hand as they took their final breath. If Palin doesn't support hospital visitation rights, then she's not a candidate who should garner anyone's vote. Marriage? I could not care less. I don't need a legally-binding contract to show my better half that he means the world to me.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
She also said she was not opposed to any contracts between two adults.

Oh my, how TOLERANT of her. Of course she is not "opposed to contracts between two adults". How could she be? Anyone, anywhere can write a will leaving everything to their best friend, grandmother, next door neighbor, nothing new here.

As far as hospital visitation. A good friend of ours recently spoke at a hearing in Maryland, regarding exactly this issue. He WAS denied medical info on his partner and was also not able to visit him....so it does happen!

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-03-2008, 09:02 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Well my love affair with Governor Palin ended last night when even after prefacing her comments with "I hope I don't sound intolerant..." she proceeded to offend me by saying that we had a "chosen lifestyle" and that she did not support ANY benefits of ANY sort for same-sex couples. Sen. Biden made it crystal clear that neither he nor Sen. Obama supported same-sex marriage (which is fine by me). However, he also proceeded to mention that he thought it was essential for same-sex couples to have hospital visitation rights, insurance/medical benefits, etc. the same as any heterosexual couple. When the moderator asked Gov. Palin if she agreed with Sen. Biden, she said (I'm going to paraphrase here) "I completely oppose redefining marriage to anything other than being between one man and one woman, and I worry that those would all take us in that direction." You have GOT to be kidding me! Permitting me to see my dying partner in the hospital is going to force gay marriage upon us? I don't think any heterosexual Republican with a shroud of intellect would be opposed to same-sex couples having hospital visitation rights guaranteed to them, yet apparently Sarah "dodge the question" Palin IS opposed?

Any gay/lesbian Republicans out there care to explain to me how you can STILL be supporting her after that enraging debacle?
I'm neither a gay nor lesbian Republican, but on this issue I can completely agree with your position. Again, a conservatives point of view (or at least mine) is that the government has NO business interfering with you business, and I did not like her answer to this particular question. I also do not like her stance on abortion. But please understand, when you when across me, Joe Sixpack, out on the street, those are not my #1 or even #2 issues....I am a business owner responsible for the livelihood and welfare of my employees and their families.....the #1 issue for me is the proposed 52% or 62% (I've heard both numbers) on small businesses. This will kill mine and tens of thousands of other small businesses, which will totally collapse an economy that is hanging on by a tattered thread.

If that is your #1 issue (the gay rights), I would say that yes, you would have to vote Obama. I would certainly understand that, and wouldn't blame you otherwise. So please understand, I'm not voting to hurt you, I'm voting for what I think is best for a large group of people as a whole, not any given individual.

I wish you the best.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:02 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I think a couple of you missed my parenthetical insert in my original post about how I don't really care about same-sex marriage. What I DO care about are social justice issues. I've read horror stories about how same-sex couples who had been together for decades had to let their partner die alone in the hospital because they were not permitted to be with them to hold their hand as they took their final breath. If Palin doesn't support hospital visitation rights, then she's not a candidate who should garner anyone's vote. Marriage? I could not care less. I don't need a legally-binding contract to show my better half that he means the world to me.
But she does support hospital visitation, etc. The thing she DOESN'T support is redefining marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections