Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would Obama Be Where He Is Today If He Were White?
YES 36 40.45%
NO 53 59.55%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:42 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
anglo features wth is that, i was certain that anglo had to do with british/english culture and language backgroud and not features. because all white people arent anglos
I was writing a comment on a board, not a term paper. But thank you for pointing that out. Still, I believe my meaning was clear. I thought of the word "Anglo" because my Mexican neighbors use it when talking about people like me. (I hate political correctness! lol) One of the reasons Obama is more popular is because he isn't "too Black." This is a really good comment I read.

Speak Out*:*Uh-Obama: Racism, White Voters and the Myth of Color-Blindness (http://speakoutnow.org/article.php?preview=1&cache=0&id=203 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 12:46 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I was writing a comment on a board, not a term paper. But thank you for pointing that out. Still, I believe my meaning was clear. I thought of the word "Anglo" because my Mexican neighbors use it when talking about people like me. (I hate political correctness! lol) One of the reasons Obama is more popular is because he isn't "too Black." This is a really good comment I read.

Speak Out*:*Uh-Obama: Racism, White Voters and the Myth of Color-Blindness (http://speakoutnow.org/article.php?preview=1&cache=0&id=203 - broken link)
yeah, i also heard they use it towards english speakers... or white people in general which iswrong they also use gringo...but anywhoo

Old 10-06-2008, 01:00 AM

1,372 posts, read 3,765,635 times
The point of this picture is to illustrate the point that both individuals pictures are around the same age

Old 10-06-2008, 04:25 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,452,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
What an asinine poll. Only a racist would focus on this aspect of who Obama is.

If Obama were white, he would've had a far easier life as he would've enjoyed much more favorable consideration as a matter of course.

If Obama were white, he would not have needed the kind of versatility that non-whites (especially blacks) need to navigate through and around racism as practiced by many whites in this society.

If Obama were white, Hillary Clinton would've conceded the race after Super Tuesday.

If Obama were white, the DNC would've embraced Obama as its party's nominee after Super Tuesday.

If Obama were white, then he would carry the South, rural America, and Podunk USA.

In other words, if Obama were white, the REACTIONS towards him would be entirely different and more favorable throughout his life. It would not have been necessary for him to develop the versatility, the range, the dignity, the depth, the intelligence, the education, and the substance that he has now. He is an extraordinary man because he is black and because he has been given less consideration throughout his life, requiring greater effort to gain high achievement. This makes a black Barack Obama far superior to the white hypothetical version that is the topic of this thread.

Obama's race is one of his many great qualities. Perhaps while he is president, you will come to understand this.

I totally agree.

I also wonder whether he would be even further aheadin the polls with a more "American" name such as Paul J. Smith?.

Too many people have misused Obama´s name to feed popular hysteria, ignorance and fear of terrorism.

A white Paul J. Smith (just for an example) would have not had all these extra obstacles in the race.

Last edited by hutch5; 10-06-2008 at 05:52 AM..

Old 10-06-2008, 04:41 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Geraldine Ferraro was absoluttely right!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 04:42 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
The point of this picture is to illustrate the point that both individuals pictures are around the same age
You made your point!!! One a hero (mcCain) the other can't wait to be related to people who hate this country (Nobama).....how the hell can Nobama come this far...only with the influence of his terrorist friends and other associations who are very questionable.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:01 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
oh yeah that drug affair that never happened. Sort of like when John McCain was caught crossdressing
LOL...Now Rudy on the other hand loved him some pink dresses!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 08:14 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
I left the Obama camp

#1 - I don't think he will acheive a single thing he has promised only because he is getting a monster of a financial mess
#2 - I can't stand Pelosi and Reid I truly couldn't fathom more inept people other than Bush .
I rather have a sea monkey in gvmt over Pelosi.

I find Obama brilliant and a man who adjusts very fast to a problem but the gargoyles that will be guarding the oval office (Pelosi and Reid) I do not want with the tiniest input.

Mccain is old school . Nothing will change but the balance of power "comforts" me.
If not for Pelosi and Reid I truly think Obama would have been way higher in polls.

Many want balance of powers.
I have yet to come across any regular "voter" who has singled out Pelosi and Reid as the reasons for leaving/not-voting for Obama. Only things I ever hear are lack of experience or that he is, well you know (whisper black and/or muslim)...and then they wink/nudge...

Before this bail-out disaster, could the common voter, not somebody on political discussion boards, even identify Reid's position and political party...heck, even after all of this news?

Old 10-06-2008, 08:19 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
how the hell can Nobama come this far...only with the influence of his terrorist friends and other associations who are very questionable.
Wait..Al Quaida (spelling?) has control over the delegates for the democratic national party...why have we not heard more about this?!?!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:02 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
So he is getting all this support from White people and other groups only because he is Black This is such a stupid thread topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections