Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 09:37 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So Libya bought their way to absolution?

Maybe nobody ever told Ayers what his bill would be for forgiveness. Then again, to the best of my knowledge Ayers controls no petroleum deposits. Just how much did THAt figure into the forgiveness of Libya?
Libya did not buy their way out of the Lockerbie attack. They admitted to the international community that they were responsible for the bombing and acknowledged that it was wrong. That is the what is most important. Rather than have Libya remain a dangerous pariah state forever, a number of countries have begun to carefully reestablish ties in the hopes of bringing a reformed Libya back into the international community.

Ayers expresses zero regret for what he did. Since you think it was fine that Ayers set off bombs because he did not agree with national policy, was it also fine with you when Timothy McVeigh blew up the Murrah building because he too disapproved of things the government had done?

This is nonsense. Having Bill Ayers, Rev Wright, Tony Rezko, Father Michael Pfleger and Louis Farrakhan as friends or even just associates, represents an appalling lack of judgement on the part of Obama, this supposedly brilliant candidate. I am not wasting anymore of my time with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 09:38 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
he did not say he regretted not bombing more. He said he regretted not doing more to fight the war in Vietnam. Twist that anyway you want.
Bombing was what he did to fight the war in Vietnam.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Taking a class for credit vs choosing to be co -chairs and work closely with a man like ayers is two completely different things.

Myself, I don't believe that obama buys into the weathermen philosophy, anymore then he bought into wrights. I think he courted them for political expediency -- and it worked. Look how fast he shot through the IL dem ranks. No, Obama is no weatherman, but he has been shown to sell himself out for votes and power, and that is disturbing. But fairly typical of any dem or rep sad to say.
Fairly typical of any politician agreed...Miss Patriotic Palin is sleeping with a secessionist...if you are buying into this Ayers crap (and you seem to have a more reasonable view) you must shine the same distorted light on Palin's own husband...Something I would also see as stupid, silly and a political spin as well. But seriously. For anyone who is slamming Obama for this Ayers spin, please explain away Mr. Palin's 7 year-long registration ('95-02) as a member of the Alaska Independence Party and Sarah's attendance and speech at their convention 6 months prior to getting the formal GOP nomination. This is all on tape...to quote Sarah "Keep up the good work." If Michele Obama had the same times as Palin's husband and Obama (the scary dark-skinned muslim dude) had attended the same event the GOP would be hammering the anti-american angle. Please, can a level-headed McCain supporter agree here? I can not take any Ayers critic seriously if they would not do the same for their ticket's issues.

Seceding from the union sounds pretty radical to me...

Old 10-07-2008, 10:29 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Fairly typical of any politician agreed...Miss Patriotic Palin is sleeping with a secessionist...if you are buying into this Ayers crap (and you seem to have a more reasonable view) you must shine the same distorted light on Palin's own husband...Something I would also see as stupid, silly and a political spin as well. But seriously. For anyone who is slamming Obama for this Ayers spin, please explain away Mr. Palin's 7 year-long registration ('95-02) as a member of the Alaska Independence Party and Sarah's attendance and speech at their convention 6 months prior to getting the formal GOP nomination. This is all on tape...to quote Sarah "Keep up the good work." If Michele Obama had the same times as Palin's husband and Obama (the scary dark-skinned muslim dude) had attended the same event the GOP would be hammering the anti-american angle. Please, can a level-headed McCain supporter agree here? I can not take any Ayers critic seriously if they would not do the same for their ticket's issues.

Seceding from the union sounds pretty radical to me...

I'm not a mccain supporter, but I will agree with you. I don't think anyone had been vetted properly this election cycle --- either that, or there are no untainted politicians left. Either way a stronger light needs to be shone on palins choice of friends and ministers. Do you think it coincidance that niether mccain nor palin is mentioning wright? They know palins minister couldn't pass muster, either. And while wright is a hatemongering fool, palins minister actually worries me more. But the obama camp won't mention palins minister for fear of resurecting wright from whatever limbo they have stashed him.

Lots and lots of things need to be looked at from both parties. As much as we don't like to listen to mom in high school she was right on this -- you are known by the company you keep. I would just like to know who obama and mccain owe what to after whichever one wins.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:34 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Even though the entire Ayers non-issue is only a distraction meant to keep the right focused steadily AWAY from unpleasant facts such as a 9000 Dow, still, reps to the OP for finding the blog.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:59 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way, but the whole Ayers thing feels so.... outdated. Like McCain wants to take a timewarp back to the 60's when he was cute and a hero and a POW, and people cared about the Weathermen.

The 60s are over, folks. Long over. I just don't think most voters under the age of 40 will care.
Good point. I never thought about that, but showing a photo of Ayers next to McCain would definitely be a contrast! Since Ayers isn't the man running for office, I don't think it would work, but it does bring up an interesting image.

Back in the 60s everyday people became very radical, and I'm guessing it's only because we don't have a draft now that things are a little calmer back home than 40 years ago. I knew some very patriotic people who were considering running to Canada. I don't see why refusing to fight an immoral war is anti-American. When people hid Jews in the 1940s was that anti-Germany or just doing the right thing? Protesters who destroyed crates of tea in 1773 are considered to be patriots in our history books. When did questioning the acts of the government become criminal, especially when there are criminals running it.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:05 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Good point. I never thought about that, but showing a photo of Ayers next to McCain would definitely be a contrast! Since Ayers isn't the man running for office, I don't think it would work, but it does bring up an interesting image.

Back in the 60s everyday people became very radical, and I'm guessing it's only because we don't have a draft now that things are a little calmer back home than 40 years ago. I knew some very patriotic people who were considering running to Canada. I don't see why refusing to fight an immoral war is anti-American. When people hid Jews in the 1940s was that anti-Germany or just doing the right thing?
Rich white boys playing at radicalism by setting off bombs are not quite on the same par as italian peasants hiding jews in their attics at the risk of their lives

Nail bombs are not signs, not pickets and sure as hell isn't a sit in. The fact that ayers didn't kill anyone has more to do dumb luck then any planning on his part.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:21 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Rich white boys playing at radicalism by setting off bombs are not quite on the same par as italian peasants hiding jews in their attics at the risk of their lives

Nail bombs are not signs, not pickets and sure as hell isn't a sit in. The fact that ayers didn't kill anyone has more to do dumb luck then any planning on his part.
I would never condone using a bomb to protest. I have trouble killing an insect. However, my point was that had Ayers been convicted of terrorism and sent to prison, then I would agree Obama should have checked his background and chosen his associates more prudently. However, anyone who believes someone can make it into the White House without scandal is naive. McCain married a woman whose family is worth over $100 million. Look at this article which states:

"Within a few years of marrying Cindy Hensley, the daughter of a multimillionaire Anheuser-Busch distributor, John McCain won his first election. He was new to Arizona politics and fundraising in the 1982 House race, and his campaign quickly fell into debt. Personal money - tens of thousands of dollars in loans to his campaign from McCain bank accounts - helped him survive. "

[URL="http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/03/politics/main3991700.shtml"]Wife's Fortune, Connections Boost McCain, Cindy McCain's Assets From Beer Distributor Are In Her Name, But Have Given Candidate A Wealthy Lifestyle - CBS News[/URL]

The following article notes that McCain talked about Charles Keating in his book:
[URL="http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/10/obama_mccain_terrorists_keatin.html"]Obama, McCain: 'Terrorists, Keating Five': The Swamp[/URL]

"Charlie was a real go-getter,'' McCain has written in his 2002 memoir, Worth the Fighting For. "On several occasions, he invited Cindy and me to his beautiful vacation retreat at Cat Cay in the Bahamas, flying us there, with out infant daughter, Meghan, and her nanny, on his private jet,'' McCain wrote with co-author Mark Salter, his chief of staff and speechwriter. "The place always seemed to have a huge, boisterous crowd in attendance... We would all crowd on his yacht, off for a day of swimming and snorkeling, and then return for another extravagant party with the best wine, food and entertainment available.

Isn't McCain being a hypocrite when he admits to partying with Charles Keating, a corrupt banker, but points his finger at Obama for having ties with Ayers and others with controversial backgrounds? After all, Ayers was never convicted by Keating was!

Old 10-07-2008, 11:46 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
I've seen the Weather Underground movie. These people were more than just standard protesters. They were Communist. They were Un-American. They were h seeking to overthrow the Government with the intent of creating Communism. Ayer's wife openly spoke highly of communism and on one occasion praised Charles Manson for the Southern California murders in 1969. The reason they were not convicted was due to an FBI slipup. Both Ayers and Dohrn should not be teaching.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:55 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Libya did not buy their way out of the Lockerbie attack. They admitted to the international community that they were responsible for the bombing and acknowledged that it was wrong. That is the what is most important. Rather than have Libya remain a dangerous pariah state forever, a number of countries have begun to carefully reestablish ties in the hopes of bringing a reformed Libya back into the international community.

Ayers expresses zero regret for what he did. Since you think it was fine that Ayers set off bombs because he did not agree with national policy, was it also fine with you when Timothy McVeigh blew up the Murrah building because he too disapproved of things the government had done?

This is nonsense. Having Bill Ayers, Rev Wright, Tony Rezko, Father Michael Pfleger and Louis Farrakhan as friends or even just associates, represents an appalling lack of judgement on the part of Obama, this supposedly brilliant candidate. I am not wasting anymore of my time with you.
So Libya says 'sorry' and the murder of 270 people is forgiven, they're now our pals while 40 years later Ayers is still a monster for blowing up a damn statue? HOW many PEOPLE did he kill?

McVeigh received what he deserved, Libya did not. "I'm sorry" IS NOT an acceptable defense for murder.

I'm not condoning what he did but BOTH sides commited MANY wrongs in that era including the murder of college students. Even one of the wars principal architects, MacNamara, has admitted the war was wrong. THOSE people sent over 58,000 Americans to die in that war. If we need to vilify ANYONE from that era Ayers ends up FAR down the list of worthies. After MacNamara and his cronies are tried, convicted, and hanged for crimes against the country then maybe we can worry about the petty players like Ayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections