Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 06:43 PM

196 posts, read 444,770 times

Advertisements

Please consider me NP or Independent, I really do have an honest question and am not sure who or what is right on this one.

From what I understand, Obama wants to increase taxes on large corporations, McCain wants to relieve the tax burden on large corporations. I've heard arguments for both sides. The Democrats feel that the extra money could be used for something else. The Republican party believes that the effect of lessening the taxes on corporations will be that these companies will create more jobs instead of the cheaper alternative which is out-sourcing.

My question is, and please understand that I'm not very knowledgable in economics or politics for that matter, but how do we know that companies will cease out-sourcing and hire American employees? Is there a law that says they must do so according to how much they are taxed? Or is it possible that they could continue to outsource after their taxes have been lessened and collect the profits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 06:50 PM

52 posts, read 79,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvpunk View Post
Please consider me NP or Independent, I really do have an honest question and am not sure who or what is right on this one.

From what I understand, Obama wants to increase taxes on large corporations, McCain wants to relieve the tax burden on large corporations. I've heard arguments for both sides. The Democrats feel that the extra money could be used for something else. The Republican party believes that the effect of lessening the taxes on corporations will be that these companies will create more jobs instead of the cheaper alternative which is out-sourcing.

My question is, and please understand that I'm not very knowledgable in economics or politics for that matter, but how do we know that companies will cease out-sourcing and hire American employees? Is there a law that says they must do so according to how much they are taxed? Or is it possible that they could continue to outsource after their taxes have been lessened collect the profits?

If you start to tax the companys to death its not if they will move its when they will move. AND THEY WILL

Old 09-30-2008, 06:51 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,161,213 times
There are no guarantees that a tax break or a tax cut will affect businesses in any way. It's based on historical data and reactions to past legislation.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:55 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,388,885 times
I really love the "if we raise taxes on businesses, they'll all pack up and leave" theory. Let's think about that for a minute- while some of the large corporations have the opportunity to "pack up and leave" the vast majority of the comapanies out there can't. Sure, Microsoft can ship their tech support overseas, and Dell can build computers in Taiwan, but there's alot of businesses that don't have the ability to do that, and will stay put. I think this issue is way over-blown.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:02 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,982,506 times
Or we could look at countries like Sweden and Switzerland and Germany or the UK that tax the crap out of everthing.

How are they doing? Well lets see?

1) Universal healthcare.

2)Higher standard of living.

3)They are about to take over some of our crappy banks we crashed with our GOP driven deregulation.

Or we can not tax our businesses like Brazil. And have a small fraction of wealthy and masses of poor.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:03 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I really love the "if we raise taxes on businesses, they'll all pack up and leave" theory. Let's think about that for a minute- while some of the large corporations have the opportunity to "pack up and leave" the vast majority of the comapanies out there can't. Sure, Microsoft can ship their tech support overseas, and Dell can build computers in Taiwan, but there's alot of businesses that don't have the ability to do that, and will stay put. I think this issue is way over-blown.
It happens all the time. A plant I worked in a few years ago did it. North Carolina gave them a better tax deal and cheaper wages. It was a large automotive manufacturing site. They moved 2 hours away, that's it.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:04 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,982,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
It happens all the time. A plant I worked in a few years ago did it. North Carolina gave them a better tax deal and cheaper wages. It was a large automotive manufacturing site. They moved 2 hours away, that's it.
Sounds like a great idea for a national tax. That way no State must compete on price for business. There is a level playing field.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:11 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,388,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Exactly. Last I checked, NC was still in the US, so they didn't "pack up and leave" the country, which is what everyone is saying will happen.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:14 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,130 times
Isn't the that why California is always broke? The heavy taxes have driven out many busineses.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:17 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Exactly. Last I checked, NC was still in the US, so they didn't "pack up and leave" the country, which is what everyone is saying will happen.
No they didn't leave the country. But the fact still remains that it's not very difficult for a company to move to other states or out of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections