Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:59 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times

Advertisements

I was listening to the our local FOX News Radio station yesterday and this Republican guy called to say that he was voting for Obama. The host, Chris Baker was quite surprised and asked him why? The caller said that he did everything right in his life, got an education, started a business and his 401 K was down 60000 dollars, he basically said that he just can't win anymore. The caller was saying that if Obama has anything to offer him in terms of tax breaks, handouts, he is more than willing to take it. As much as I am not an Obama supporter, It seems to me that a lot of people have just given up and this is SCARY! Consumer confidence is a fundamental part of our economy and without that, I do not see how the American economy can ever rebound. As much as I am not for handouts and big government, I have officially given up looking for a job today This is by far the worst economic situation I have seen in more than 20 years and I do not blame the caller for thinking the way he does. I have totally given up on this system and I do not see how we will ever come out of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 09:11 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I have officially given up looking for a job today
So what type of company did you choose to start, or have you chosen welfare?

Old 10-09-2008, 09:14 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
I am truly sympathetic to your post, Repubocrat. All any of us can do is hang in there and give Obama a chance.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:18 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
I think the Republicans dont mind losing this round. If they really cared they'd - for one thing, among many - have sent someone over to help the McCain writers with that daft mortgage plan.

Mike from back east posts a link to George F Will's column today. Will points out that the McCain camp to put it nicely is in disarray.
Many millions of American households are gingerly opening envelopes containing reports of the third-quarter losses in their 401(k) and other retirement accounts -- telling each household its portion of the nearly $2 trillion that Americans' accounts have recently shed. In this context, the McCain-Palin campaign's attempt to get Americans to focus on Obama's Chicago associations seems surreal -- or, as a British politician once said about criticism he was receiving, "like being savaged by a dead sheep."

Old 10-09-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So what type of company did you choose to start, or have you chosen welfare?
Start a company? You have got to be kidding!! Who would possibly start a business in this chaotic economic situation? Even SBA loan approvals have dropped 30% in the last few months, there is very little credit available for small businesses out there. Why would anybody start a business, buy a home or invest in the market these days? Here in my neighborhood, more than 7 franchises have gone out of business in the last few months, I am not even talking about Mom and Pop type of businesses, stores and restaurants like Boston Market, Bennigans, Starbucks, Hollywood Video, etc, all gone!!

Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,076,197 times
Democrats for McCain - WHY I WILL CAST MY VOTE FOR MCCAIN-PALIN: ONE VOLUNTEERS’ REASONING (http://www.democratsformccain.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=135&Item id=98 - broken link)

This is the Democrats strategy if there is a USA issue or crisis.
"We bear no responsibility on any of this crisis and issues."

This is the Republicans strategy if there is a USA issue or crisis.
The Republicans look for solutions to the problem and draft legislation.
"I urge you to support regulatory reform legislation. If Congress does not act, American taxpayers will continue to be exposed to the enormous risk of this on the overall financial system, and the economy as a whole."

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/record.xpd?id=109-s20060525-16 (broken link)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ity%22&aq=f&oq=

Last edited by ShoppingCartLaw; 10-09-2008 at 09:38 AM..

Old 10-09-2008, 09:32 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Thumbs up Well you certainly wiped out that site's credibility...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
Democrats for McCain - WHY I WILL CAST MY VOTE FOR MCCAIN-PALIN: ONE VOLUNTEERS’ REASONING (http://www.democratsformccain.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=135&Item id=98 - broken link)
"John McCain represents a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for real change as opposed to seesawing from one extreme partisan agenda to the mirror opposite." - from your Link

..."The fundamental of the Economy are strong"
..."I will suspend my campaign"

"To Washington
Trusty Steed"

Old 10-09-2008, 09:33 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
The OP wrote;
Quote:
I have officially given up looking for a job today This is by far the worst economic situation I have seen in more than 20 years and I do not blame the caller for thinking the way he does. I have totally given up on this system and I do not see how we will ever come out of this.
Phil Graham (R/Wall Street, and presumptive Sec/Treasury under McCain) would tell you to "quit whining", and "it's all in your head" and that the problem with the country is people like you who are "riding in the wagon while complaining about those that are pulling it".

Actually I feel for you, our portfolio is down about $350,000 in the last year and that hurts. But, as someone who spent almost my entire working life SELF EMPLOYED I can tell you that the old cliche about every cloud having a silver lining is TRUE. Hard times create opportunities.

I had record sales during the '80s downturn. I attributed it to the fact that many "salespeople" were really just "order takers" who had gotten fat during the boom years. When the downturn came they couldn't survive, BUT THEIR CUSTOMERS STILL NEEDED SERVICING.

BTW, I say "sales" because for any enterprise to succeed you have to be able to SELL. Getting into a business is not so much having a knack for doing, making or creating anything. It's a matter of SELLING what you have created, or what it is that you do.

Good luck and we'll be pulling for you.

golfgod

Old 10-09-2008, 10:28 AM

Our local morning show FOX News radio host says something similar, he was like "I go to the mall, the baseball game and it is always packed", how can we be in an economic crisis?" I guess, he is too dumb to understand that most of these purchases are being done on credit or what is left on people's credit cards. I drive around my neighborhood and I have never seen so much commercial real estate sitting either vacant or for lease. In a way, I am glad I did not get into commercial real estate last year, it would have been a disaster. A vacant commercial property is not only not generating any income but it is extremely HARD to sell, most buyers want commercial properties with leases preferably long term ones. Maybe it is all an illusion!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:37 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Start a company? You have got to be kidding!! Who would possibly start a business in this chaotic economic situation? Even SBA loan approvals have dropped 30% in the last few months, there is very little credit available for small businesses out there. Why would anybody start a business, buy a home or invest in the market these days? Here in my neighborhood, more than 7 franchises have gone out of business in the last few months, I am not even talking about Mom and Pop type of businesses, stores and restaurants like Boston Market, Bennigans, Starbucks, Hollywood Video, etc, all gone!!
That kind of question answers the age old question, "What kind of people voted for George Bush?" I had to give you a rep point for the mature, intelligent response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections