Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:47 AM

813 posts, read 2,032,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
It doesn't matter.

The NEW YORK TIMES is a LIBERAL newspaper so you would expect this type of article.

They will collect and publish any article that is leaning their side regardless of the author.
The substance of the article isn't any less valid merely because it is in the NY Times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 08:48 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
You didn't even read the article, yet you have the chutzpah to react to it. Sweet.
Try to stay focused, I did NOT react to the news story, I reacted to the fact that YOU had the nerve to call me, what was it again...

Ohh yeah, thats right.. a "hicks, rednecks, racists, and other uneducated riff raff".

I also reacted, kinda laughing, that someone would point out a comment by a conservative from the NYTimes, who also has been criticized for putting stories out on Fox..

Again, I did not comment at ALL on the story.. I'm to uneducated to read it, per YOU..

Old 10-10-2008, 08:51 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
I think the republicans will have to do a major re-group after this campaign (like the dems had to do). The conservative religious people are tearing it to shreds. Maybe they should start their own 3rd party--like the green ones.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:51 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Wrong. The source of the article is David Brooks, a conservative.

Citations please?
Good Lord. David Brooks is not a conservative.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:17 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
I've been saying this through three Presidential election cycles now. The Republican party leadership has turned a blind eye to conservative intellectualism and instead chosen to serve up a divisive rhetoric of fear of the unknown and Christian fundamentalist views that resonates well with many Americans. This has not only alienated well-educated independants but also fiscal conservatives who happen to be socially progressive and recognize this hysterical pandering for what it is. Essentially, anyone with enough common sense to see the sheer hypocrisy in Rudy Guiliani and Mitt Romney calling someone else "elite" is turned off.

As unfortunate as 9/11 was, it has allowed morally corrupt neo-cons to essentially puppeteer the American masses for years now. So far this millenium we've witnessed the GOP powers that be erode civil liberties, treat the Constitution as if it doesn't even apply to them, allow torture to take place on American soil, distract Americans from key issues by espouse blatant fear-based anti-gay policies, swell corporate greed to unconscionable levels by hand-feeding friends, sink billions upon billions of dollars and lose countless lives for a misguided war while the global economy tanks...*sigh* I can be here all day.
If you were a preacher my screams would be echoing through the rafters. You go!!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:28 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
GOP, 1865:

With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan – to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace, among ourselves, and with all nations.

GOP, 2008:

I know that John McCain will do that and I, as his vice president, families we are blessed with that vote of the American people and are elected to serve and are sworn in on January 20, that will be our top priority is to defend the American people.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:34 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post

GOP, 2008:

I know that John McCain will do that and I, as his vice president, families we are blessed with that vote of the American people and are elected to serve and are sworn in on January 20, that will be our top priority is to defend the American people.
Maybe if Sarah becomes VP, she can get enough money to go back to school to learn GRAMMAR!!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:37 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
You can see it in their pundits.

They dumped William F Buckley long ago, George Will is a nobody, David Brooks and Pat Buchanan barely have a following.

They're into Limbaugh, Hannity, Malkin (called for American Muslims to be put in camps like the Japanese in WWII), Michael Savage, and some whiney voiced little racist known as "The Great One" and Jonah Goldberg.

The GOP rejects intellect. They are all about red meat.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:37 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Maybe if Sarah becomes VP, she can get enough money to go back to school to learn GRAMMAR!!
And yet its the left who keeps claiming the right is not talking about issues!!

Old 10-10-2008, 10:58 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
The NEW YORK TIMES is a LIBERAL newspaper so you would expect this type of article.
You do realize how stupid that sounds, right?

David Brooks is a well-known conservative and his op-eds regularly appear in the New York Times, regardless of what he says in those op-eds.

Quote:
David Brooks's column has appeared on the Op-Ed page of The New York Times since September 2003.
Source

I assume that one of the points that the OP was trying to make was that this article, critical of the GOP, was written by someone with a history of supporting the GOP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections