Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 06:03 AM

224 posts, read 378,091 times

Advertisements

One left libertarian vote Barack Obama hasn't won

October 13, 2008

NOAM Chomsky speaks to Der Spiegel about Europe's Barack Obama delusions.
Spiegel: Change is the slogan of this year's presidential election. Do you see any chance for an immediate, tangible change in the US? Or, to use use Obama's battle cry: Are you fired up?
Chomsky: Not in the least. The European reaction to Obama is a European delusion.
Spiegel: But he does say things that Europe has long been waiting for. He talks about the trans-Atlantic partnership, the priority of diplomacy and the reconciling of American society.
Chomsky: That is all rhetoric. Who cares about that? This whole election campaign deals with soaring rhetoric, hope, change, all sorts of things, but not with issues.
Spiegel: Is there nothing about McCain that appeals to you?
Chomsky: In one aspect he is more honest than his opponent. He explicitly states that this election is not about issues but about personalities. The Democrats are not quite as honest, even though they see it the same way.
Spiegel: So for you, Republicans and Democrats represent just slight variations of the same political platform?
Chomsky: Of course there are differences, but they are not fundamental. Nobody should have any illusions. The US has essentially a one-party system and the ruling party is the business party.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24485551-20261,00.html

Last edited by 1878; 10-13-2008 at 06:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 06:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1878 View Post

Chomsky: In one aspect he is more honest than his opponent. He explicitly states that this election is not about issues but about personalities. The Democrats are not quite as honest, even though they see it the same way.
Well, it wasn't McCain who said that, it was campaign manager Rick Davis.
He added that the campaign has "ultimate faith" in the idea that the more voters get to know McCain and Barack Obama, the better the Republican nominee will do.
Chomsky has some good ideas and I don't disagree with everything he says, it's just that sometimes I think he is more enthusiastic about expounding his opinion of our sorry world than in making the world a better place.
Oh, and Obama is Christian.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 10-13-2008 at 06:17 AM..

Old 10-13-2008, 06:26 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Where does he say that Obama is Muslim, OP?

Old 10-13-2008, 06:31 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times
I am getting sick of this Muslim B.S.

I am now under the impression, if you state Obama is a Muslim, than you most likely are a hick from some extreme podunk town that has never seen an ounce of diversity in your life.

Grow up and travel some.

Sorry for any stereotypes but it is true. You could find out within 1 minutes worth of research that Obama is not Muslim. But this is to hard to do for these racist tards.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:33 AM

I copied and pasted the title.. Didn't notice it said Muslim.

I edited it and for the record: I DON'T BELIEVE OBAMA IS A MUSLIM

Now can we please address the actual content of my post.. Chomsky...remember?

Old 10-13-2008, 06:40 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Funny words from anarchist!

SMD/Sunshine.. please note: he is a commie!!!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:44 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1878 View Post
I copied and pasted the title.. Didn't notice it said Muslim.

I edited it and for the record: I DON'T BELIEVE OBAMA IS A MUSLIM

Now can we please address the actual content of my post.. Chomsky...remember?
Wow. Not only do you try to insult the posters for asking a legitimate question, you lie about the title of the article.

"One left libertarian vote Barack Obama hasn't won" is the title.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Wow. Not only do you try to insult the posters for asking a legitimate question, you lie about the title of the article.

If you can't win the argument, change the subject... Right?

You don't know where I found this information. I never said I cut and paste THE TITLE OF THE ARTICLE...... I addressed your BS technicality.. Now can you get over it?

I don't think Obama is a Muslim. I don't think he is a bad person. I don't think he is evil or a manchurian candidate..

I'm not a hick, I live in NYC.. and I'm trying to have a fair minded conversation.. How about you?

Old 10-13-2008, 06:50 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

Good catch! I have no idea why the OP snuck in that STUPID muslim word!

The Australian newspaper does not go about hate-mongering. I read it during my year and half living in Oz.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Good catch! I have no idea why the OP snuck in that STUPID muslim word!

The Australian newspaper does not go about hate-mongering. I read it during my year and half living in Oz.

If you can't win the argument, change the subject... Right?

You don't know where I found this information. I never said I cut and paste THE TITLE OF THE ARTICLE...... I addressed your BS technicality.. Now can you get over it?

I don't think Obama is a Muslim. I don't think he is a bad person. I don't think he is evil or a manchurian candidate..

I'm not a hick, I live in NYC.. and I'm trying to have a fair minded conversation.. How about you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections