Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:19 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times

Advertisements

When I am at any event where the Pledge of Allegiance is included in the program, I stand and salute just as everyone else. But the pledge for me is a bit different, because I do not pledge allegiance to a flag of our government which is essentially what you are doing when you recite the Pledge of Allegiance. The words I use are slightly different but in changing the words I also change the meaning. It goes something like this:

I pledge allegiance, to this land, America
And to the people, for which it stands
One nation, free under God, indivisible
With liberty and justice for all

As I said, these are subtle changes. But with these changes I have not pledged allegiance to any governing body or republic. I have pledged my allegiance to this land and to the people who live and die here. To pledge allegiance blindly to a republic or governing body is ludicrous. The people of this country and their freedom is what really matters. There is no need to swear allegiance to an essentially corporate entity known as the United States. This is America, and I pledge my allegiance to this free land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 05:29 PM

808 posts, read 1,148,850 times
Thanks for sharing that. Let's keep this thread up above the smear threads, folks.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:32 PM

Instead of responding to the lying attack threads, just post to this one instead. Let the attack threads sink to the bowels of the forum where they belong!

Old 10-15-2008, 05:38 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,913 times
I could care less where Obama was born. Why does it matter? Clearly it matters to the OP, but I don't think it matters all that much to most of us.

Whatever makes you think this deserves a 'sticky'????

Old 10-15-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
I could care less where Obama was born. Why does it matter? Clearly it matters to the OP, but I don't think it matters all that much to most of us.

Whatever makes you think this deserves a 'sticky'????
It needs a sticky because every day there are at least a couple of new threads started accusing Obama of not being a citizen and not being eligible to be president. These accusations have been proved to be patently FALSE, but trolls keep coming back. If this is stickied then new people visiting here will be able to find the truth quickly and easily.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:48 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centaurmyst View Post
It needs a sticky because every day there are at least a couple of new threads started accusing Obama of not being a citizen and not being eligible to be president. These accusations have been proved to be patently FALSE, but trolls keep coming back. If this is stickied then new people visiting here will be able to find the truth quickly and easily.
What truth????? The LIAR Obama, has yet to provide a hard copy of his birth certificate. Until that hard copy is seen, all the internet links stating he is a citizen are moot.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:48 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
What I do not understand about American politics...The voters and the candidates attack each other personally with outright lies, inuendo, exaggerations and myths, but mostly ignore the candidates platforms....I have no idea how a person is supposed to make an intelligent choice based on that. We just had an federal election here in Canada, and mostly everyone sticks to the issues that are important...The US has the nastiest campaigns I have ever seen....Why is that? How the heck do you choose, and how do you separate fact from fiction?

Old 10-15-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
What truth????? The LIAR Obama, has yet to provide a hard copy of his birth certificate. Until that hard copy is seen, all the internet links stating he is a citizen are moot.
Hard copy is shown in first link. Those claiming he is not a citizen has not produced a valid birth certificate to prove their claims, though. Either provide a verified copy of documents to support your claim that he is not a citizen or your claims have no factual basis whatsoever.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:51 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centaurmyst View Post
Hard copy is shown in first link. Those claiming he is not a citizen has not produced a valid birth certificate to prove their claims, though. Either provide a verified copy of documents to support your claim that he is not a citizen or your claims have no factual basis whatsoever.
That is not a "hard" copy. That is an "electronic" copy.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What I do not understand about American politics...The voters and the candidates attack each other personally with outright lies, inuendo, exaggerations and myths, but mostly ignore the candidates platforms....I have no idea how a person is supposed to make an intelligent choice based on that. We just had an federal election here in Canada, and mostly everyone sticks to the issues that are important...The US has the nastiest campaigns I have ever seen....Why is that? How the heck do you choose, and how do you separate fact from fiction?
Obama is talking about the issues because he actually has a plan. People are listeining to them as well. McCain is just attacking Obama because McCain is losing and has nothing of substance to stand on. When it gets close there are always severe attacks from the one losing, but most people have already made up their mind who they are voting for by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections