Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:25 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,042,941 times

Advertisements

David Plouffe made this video looking for volunteers to go to battleground states and talk to swing voters. I am impressed with this grass roots campaign. And with Obama's seemingly well oiled organization, an indicator of the type of leader he would be. Does McCain have a similar movement?

Do you think this will make a difference?

YouTube - David Plouffe Wants You to Volunteer

This is the website with a list of states, if you click on each state you get a different video or message:
http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/driveforchange
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:27 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,941,447 times
When comparing how they both have been running their campaigns, Obama wins hands down.

Just imagine if McCain ran this country like he is running his trainwreck of a Campaign. This country would be doomed.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:38 AM

Im thinking of volunteering for a weekend. Have never done this before, nor have I felt like getting involved before. PA is close to me.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:54 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,065,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Im thinking of volunteering for a weekend. Have never done this before, nor have I felt like getting involved before. PA is close to me.
Please do, it actually can be fun.

There are two major things that you can do, walking canvass or phone canvassing. Both help the campaign to bring in more volunteers, identify likely supporters, and helps to build a data based for use on election day to insure a more efficient "get out the vote" effort.

The walking canvassing is usually on weekends but phone canvassing needs to be done daily. Come in for a couple of hours or come in and work all day, it is totally up to you.

It is a great way to meet folks who share you concerns.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:30 PM

have you done it? it would involve an out of state trip to Ohio, as I am not in a swing state.. but they want people from anywhere to go to a swing state..

Old 10-15-2008, 01:44 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,859,472 times
Hey minibrings, winterinamerica is right, it's fun. I've met some really nice folks, only had one "N" bomb dropped on me, and one psycho "bark" at me. OTOH I've had people offer me coffee and tea and one couple went with me to a few of their neighbors, SCHWEEEEET. I usually go door knock canvassing because I like to be out, walking and talking.

I've put my name forward that if volunteers show up (we're supposed to get some from UT, which is pretty red, that we've got room for them to stay with us.

I usually try to do 6 or 7 shifts (50-60 houses per) during the week and a couple of more on weekends. I'm looking forward to the last 5 days because we are organized like a military campaign.

Ground game baby, ground game.

golfgod

Old 10-15-2008, 01:45 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,540,981 times
Well he asked his supporters to get into people's faces and argue with them, now he's looking for the volunteers to do his dirty work I guess.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:47 PM

351 posts, read 487,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well he asked his supporters to get into people's faces and argue with them, now he's looking for the volunteers to do his dirty work I guess.
Unfounded fail.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:50 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,540,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashrob123 View Post
Unfounded fail.
"I need you to go out and talk to your friends and talk to your neighbors, I want you to talk to them whether they are independent or whether they are Republican. I want you to argue with them and get in their face."

Obama's own words.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:00 PM

OK. I volunteered. I contact the Ohio folks. It would entail a long road trip across state borders and the expense of a hotel room if they can't place me with volunteer housing. But I want to help out in Ohio, even though its not my voting state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections