Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:32 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,367,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
If there were a genetic defect that also caused a problem with the placenta it could.

My son's placenta had SUA (single umbilical artery...there should be two in a typical pregnancy) and because the development of the normally two arteries began at the same time as certain developments in the brain and kidneys, I had to have a Level II ultrasound to check out his brain and kidneys.

A placental abruption could cause a uterine tear. It wouldn't have to (and all by itself could certainly kill a mother) but you know what? ALL of this is supposition. The poster may have actually been simplifying things for us; it's medical information; s/he may have just been giving it to us in more basic terms or could have misstated a word or two. The bottom line is: why should you doubt the poster? It sounds like an awful situation to me. I don't get how people on the one hand can think "libs" are monsters for doubting some guy who doesn't pay his taxes...but it's perfectly okay and then some to downplay someone else's sister almost dying. Priorities?
Yes, but a placental abruption does not cause a genetic defect or an abnormality of the fetus. I am not doubting the poster at all, I'm just trying to figure out in what kind of scenario that would take place. He said there was an abnormality of the fetus and because the pregnancy went so long she was unable to have another baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 08:32 PM

29,917 posts, read 39,567,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Obama only talks good game on gender pay equity

McCain's 17 male staffers split $916,914, thus averaging $53,936. His 25 female employees divided $1,396,958 and averaged $55,878.

Based on these calculations, Obama's 28 male staffers divided among themselves total payroll expenditures of $1,523,120. Thus, Obama's average male employee earned $54,397.
Obama's 30 female employees split $1,354,580 among themselves, or $45,152, on average.

Psychobabble.......if you are not for Obama your ideas are moot.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:34 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,845,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidahomom View Post
Kev posted something personal that obviously is still an emotional issue for Kev's sister. Whether or not you see what could have gone wrong, is totally irrelevant.

The point Kev made was very clear. Nothing else needs to be elaborated on.

I don't agree with partial birth abortions. I think they should be performed in the first trimester if at all. But again, if we aren't the person having the abortion, we don't have a right to judge it. Which is exactly what you're doing. Clearly, this has been an emotional struggle for her. Unless a person takes pride in causing her to struggle more, it's a moot point.
I am opposed to late term abortions myself for any reason other than the PHYSICAL health or life of the mother. But the health exception is important- from personal experience I can tell you that.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:35 PM

10,654 posts, read 18,713,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yes, but a placental abruption does not cause a genetic defect or an abnormality of the fetus. I am not doubting the poster at all, I'm just trying to figure out in what kind of scenario that would take place. He said there was an abnormality of the fetus and because the pregnancy went so long she was unable to have another baby.
If you are not a doctor - I suggest you stop trying to diagnose what happened. It's pretty darned insulting to the person who told the story that you keep trying to tear it apart and say it couldn't happen.

I'll give you an example - hydrocephaly.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 10-17-2008 at 05:54 AM..

Old 10-16-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidahomom View Post
Kev posted something personal that obviously is still an emotional issue for Kev's sister. Whether or not you see what could have gone wrong, is totally irrelevant.

The point Kev made was very clear. Nothing else needs to be elaborated on.

I don't agree with partial birth abortions. I think they should be performed in the first trimester if at all. But again, if we aren't the person having the abortion, we don't have a right to judge it. Which is exactly what you're doing. Clearly, this has been an emotional struggle for her. Unless a person takes pride in causing her to struggle more, it's a moot point.
His sister is not posting here, he is. I don't think I should just accept everything at face value without asking questions. YOU certainly wouldn't if it were a Republican posting something you have questions about. And I did not in any way say that his sister should NOT have had an abortion in the situation she found herself in. I was simply wondering what kind of condition could cause a fetal defect AND make a woman unable to have future pregnancies because the pregnancy went on for too long. I can see both of those things happening but being separate incidents, not one being a result of the other. It may be that he doesn't know all the details of it and that's fine; I was just trying to reconcile in my mind what he might have been talking about happened.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:36 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,154,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yes, but a placental abruption does not cause a genetic defect or an abnormality of the fetus.
No. I was saying that the defect that might cause a placental abruption could also have caused a defect in the fetus since certain things develop at the same time, or rather I should say, the initial breakoffs of clusters of cells to form them (the placental arteries at the same time as the brain and kidneys, etc.).

So that's what I meant by that...in other words, the defect I was causing about might cause a placental abruption. But the defect would already have been there, in the placenta and in the fetus. You said you knew of no specific defect that could cause harm to both the mother's uterus and the fetus. I was giving an example though it wasn't specific (since the defects to the fetus could be of all different kinds).

At any rate, this is all very OT but I have a big interest in pregnancy and childbirth so I thought I'd answer that one question.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:38 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,154,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
If you are not a doctor - I suggest you stop trying to diagnose what happened. It's pretty damned insulting to the person who told the story that you keep trying to tear it apart and say it couldn't happen.

I'll give you an example - hydrocephaly.

In my example, my uterus remained intact and the placenta didn't detach. But for us it was (is) autism.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am opposed to late term abortions myself for any reason other than the PHYSICAL health or life of the mother. But the health exception is important- from personal experience I can tell you that.
Kev, was the fact that she wasn't able to have another baby directly related to whatever problem the fetus had, or was it another incidental problem with the pregnancy? Like I mean there was a genetic defect of the baby and then something else happened and she had a uterine rupture or something? Just wondering; not doubting your story or indicating at all that she shouldn't have made the decision she did. Although I am Republican I'm don't take a hard line on abortion other than I don't see why partial birth abortions should be allowed and I don't like that they use the term "mental health of the mother" when it's really not that.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:42 PM

29,917 posts, read 39,567,778 times

Fight

Old 10-16-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No. I was saying that the defect that might cause a placental abruption could also have caused a defect in the fetus since certain things develop at the same time, or rather I should say, the initial breakoffs of clusters of cells to form them (the placental arteries at the same time as the brain and kidneys, etc.).

So that's what I meant by that...in other words, the defect I was causing about might cause a placental abruption. But the defect would already have been there, in the placenta and in the fetus. You said you knew of no specific defect that could cause harm to both the mother's uterus and the fetus. I was giving an example though it wasn't specific (since the defects to the fetus could be of all different kinds).

At any rate, this is all very OT but I have a big interest in pregnancy and childbirth so I thought I'd answer that one question.
I understand what you are saying but from what he described it sounded more like a deformity or genetic defect of the fetus, not a problem with the umbilical cord (actually a normal cord has three vessels, not two).

I have a big interest in pregnancy and childbirth too, and I do know a lot about it; that's why I am asking too, as I am curious what might have gone wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections