Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 09:04 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,283,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
When I was pregnant with Colin I had this continuous nagging feeling that something was "wrong" but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Granted he started out as a problem pregnancy, with issues (I won't go into it, too gross) up to my 14th gestational week (12-week-old fetal Colin). After that, those problems abruptly stopped. But I still felt like something was "wrong with" my baby. Everyone thought I was nuts. Then we found out about the SUA and after that, I thought, Oh man...what does this mean, now.........Colin's gestational age was 21 weeks (fetal age: 19 weeks) when we found out. I was told I should get an amnio b/c it would take two weeks to get results...after which we would legally only have one week to "make a decision"...oh man, anyone who hasn't been through this just can't imagine, and God bless you, because nobody should have to.

As a result I got a little scared at times and went on some "problems discovered during pregnancy" forums to see what I might do in case it was one thing or another. See what babies could be helped. What babies would live...and let me tell you...there were people finding out in their 20th, 22nd weeks that a child had a trisomy form that nearly all children die from during their first two years (there are two trisomies that have this dire prediction)...fetuses with unbelievable issues that would cause the babies horrid pain before they were finally "allowed" to die, once born...

I know this all must sound dramatic, but I'll tell you, I will never again question a parent who would rather have his or her child die very quickly, than be born, be in horrible pain, unable to breathe with intracranial bleeds, lung collapses...tearing skin b/c the skin is so thin up until about the 30th week or a little later...I'll tell you, yes, situations do exist where you'd rather abort your child than have him or her suffer horrible for a few days, a few weeks in unimaginable pain before finally dying.

So maybe some of us shouldn't judge so much.

My son was born apparently "normal" but is very definitely autistic and has been in special programs since the age of two, and just began speaking a year ago (he is five years old) and has just bowel trained...and I am grateful...I am one of the lucky parents. If I had found anything like so many other parents I've heard of, more than you'd imagine, well...oh man, I just don't know. We are so grateful that it was only autism. And that physically Colin is so healthy (now--his first two years were a health nightmare).

So please think twice about judging.
Bless your heart. (((JerZ)))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 09:18 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,630,998 times
To me, JerZ is a champion and a truly caring person. However, so many mothers that make "choices" are thinking only of themselves. Never a thought about health issues.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:19 PM

873 posts, read 1,589,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
To me, JerZ is a champion and a truly caring person. However, so many mothers that make "choices" are thinking only of themselves. Never a thought about health issues.
You are right that many mother's do make choices considering only themselves without a thought to health issues. However, I would like to think this is the exception rather than the rule. I don't believe it should be used as a form of birth control. But I can't say I've met anyone who used it in such a way either.

Maybe we need to leave the issue to the mother and her higher power for total resolution.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:28 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,017,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I watched the whole thing. The comments regarding "health of a woman" and the abortion movement are true. "Health" has been bent and twisted to make anything an excuse for an abortion by them.
EXACTLY. From what the news commenters said, "health of the mother" has been twisted to mean everything from depression to being worried about her figure. In fact, Lou Dobbs said McCain should have pressed this point even harder.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:31 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,630,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidahomom View Post

Maybe we need to leave the issue to the mother and her higher power for total resolution.
Yes, absolutely. All murders should be left alone and resolved in the afterlife.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:31 PM

873 posts, read 1,589,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Yes, absolutely. All murders should be left alone and resolved in the afterlife.
Oh brother
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections