Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:47 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times

Advertisements

Joe the Plumber? What About Jim and Jane the Veteran?

Paul Rieckhoff: Joe the Plumber? What About Jim and Jane the Veteran?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 12:09 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
^It is John McCain's problem that he put this guy under the media scope. Not the media.
I continue my assertion that had Joe been Jesus Christ, the media would have branded him a rabble-rouser.

Fact:Joe is a plumber doing plumbing work under the license of the owner of the business. If Joe does buy the company he will have to have his own license.

Media fact: Joe isn't a plumber at all. In fact he cant even hook up a water hose to an outside faucet.

Fact: Joe is a regular guy who represents the feelings of many hard working Americans

Media Fact: Joe is a regular guy and therefore is an idiot moron who should shut up and do what he is told and vote for Barak Obama.

Fact: Joe, being a regular guy lives a normal life with ups and downs and does his best to support his family.
Media Fact: Joe is a derelict who has a tax lean for $1100 dollars and therefore is obviously an idiot who should treated as a moron. Unless he decides to support The One we might need to check his mental competency. the mentally incompetent cant vote!

Fact: Joe just asked a question.
Media Fact: Joe asked a question! Quick somebody run a background check! we need to know if he is cheating on his wife and if he made C's in high school and if he ever got said the "N" word! WE MUST DISQUALIFY THIS GUY! errr.... uh... just in case he doesn't vote for Barak Obama.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:21 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Fact: Joe's Samuel J. Wurzelbacher. He goes by Joe. All his friends call him Joe.

Media Fact: Joe's name is Samuel J. Wurzelbacher. What is this guy hiding? His name isnt even JOE for Christs sake! He must be some kind of subversive PLANT from the Neo-Cons!

Old 10-17-2008, 12:25 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
And learning about Joe does not make me lean more towards one candidate over the other. As a matter of fact, I am still undecided. But I'm rapidly getting disgusted by how the Democrats are handling this situation and it's starting to color my perceptions of Obama. If I were him, I'd leave well enough alone.
If you're still undecided, see my post earlier in this thread ... Joe has acknowledged that under the Obama tax plan, he would save money.

The media frenzy over Joe reminds me of the media frenzy over Palin. Both were brought into the spotlight by McCain (yes, Joe and Obama talked, but it was McCain who mentioned him - it was dozens of times, wasn't it? - in Wednesday's debate). In both cases, a name was thrown out there like a piece of red meat in front of a tiger, and the media took off.

I'm not making any excuses for it - it is what it is, and I think we all get irritated at it from time to time, and especially when a long political campaign is winding down.

Don't listen to anyone here, including me. Go to McCain's website and read, and then go to Obama's and read. Neither will be able to keep all of his promises, but what each is promising will tell you something about what each wants to do. And vote - please vote - for whichever candidate is saying more of the kind of thing you want to hear.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:50 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

Don't listen to anyone here, including me. Go to McCain's website and read, and then go to Obama's and read. Neither will be able to keep all of his promises, but what each is promising will tell you something about what each wants to do. And vote - please vote - for whichever candidate is saying more of the kind of thing you want to hear.
I don't usually vote for an individual candidate. I base my vote on who I think the candidate will surround himself with once in office (Cabinet positions) and who I think will be controlling Congress at the time--and whether or not I like what those people represent. I'm working on the first but I've already come to a conclusion about the second and it will probably drive my vote. I really don't like either Presidential candidate. At all. But Nancy Pelosi et al scare me even more. So while I am still undecided, I have to say that McCain stands a good chance of getting my vote because having the Nancy Pelosis of the world running around unchecked scares the snot out of me.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:21 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,684 times
Poor Joe, he is the model of the average American, but also an American hero who will provide jobs to say 20 employees in his company and give a living wage and health insurance to them, solving more of our daily problems than politicans actually can. The problem is Obama and McCain, they want too much government and thus more fiscal spending and more debt and debt on interest, let 2008 be a lesson and 2012 a year of change and hope.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I don't usually vote for an individual candidate. I base my vote on who I think the candidate will surround himself with once in office (Cabinet positions) and who I think will be controlling Congress at the time--and whether or not I like what those people represent. I'm working on the first but I've already come to a conclusion about the second and it will probably drive my vote. I really don't like either Presidential candidate. At all. But Nancy Pelosi et al scare me even more. So while I am still undecided, I have to say that McCain stands a good chance of getting my vote because having the Nancy Pelosis of the world running around unchecked scares the snot out of me.
The possibility of having the White House and both the House and Senate under one-party rule is an excellent argument to use your vote as best you can to prevent that from happening. And most elections, I'd be doing the same thing - I think the checks and balances inherent in a power split are good for the country.

But this time around, given the 6 years of Republican rule and how badly (in my view) they screwed up, I'm voting straight Democratic, and what used to be a long-shot (the Democrats getting all three) is getting closer and closer to being a distinct possibility.

I think your statement about looking at who each candidate might tap for Cabinet positions is interesting. I would think that McCain (at least, the McCain prior to this election) would be very comfortable in asking some Democrats to serve. I don't know about Obama, but if his campaign is any indication, he seems to have done an excellent job of picking effective people.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:52 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Before you just vote the party ticket, think about what you just said. Six years of Republican rule. I agree with you--it's been a mess. So if you want to vote Obama into office, just do some research into who will be in power in Congress. I don't see Nancy Pelosi becoming unseated anytime soon. The Dems will probably retain control there. I'm not trying to convince you not to vote Obama, just to look at your argument about the GOP controlling two branches of government and how badly things got screwed up and apply the same logic (and high probability) to the potential screw ups of Dems in power of two branches of government.

Scary.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Before you just vote the party ticket, think about what you just said. Six years of Republican rule. I agree with you--it's been a mess. So if you want to vote Obama into office, just do some research into who will be in power in Congress. I don't see Nancy Pelosi becoming unseated anytime soon. The Dems will probably retain control there. I'm not trying to convince you not to vote Obama, just to look at your argument about the GOP controlling two branches of government and how badly things got screwed up and apply the same logic (and high probability) to the potential screw ups of Dems in power of two branches of government.

Scary.
In ordinary times, I'd be against one-party rule. But these aren't ordinary times. And by "screwed up" I mean that the pendulum went WAAAAAY over to big business during the Bush Administration, and it needs to come back to ordinary people.

If having a true "checks and balances" situation in place means, for all practical purposes, a stalemate, that's not good enough - that won't reverse the wrongs of the last 8 years. Some of the damage of the last two years could have been avoided if the Democrats had enough seats in the Senate, but Republican Senators have blocked bill after bill after bill. Not that it mattered, I guess - Bush would have used his veto.

I'll vote Democratic, hope the Democrats gain control of both the House and Senate and Obama gets the White House, and see if they can get that pendulum going back to the middle.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:01 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,917,126 times
I have mentioned this many times, OBAMA picked this guy out of a crowd.

YouTube - Obama Mocks Joe the Plumber, Crowd Laughs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections