Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 04:18 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,076,635 times

Advertisements

Playing Race Cards in a Brave New World

“Recompense”, also called “racial reparation,” springs from the idea that black Americans should be financially compensated for the pain and misery inflicted on their slave ancestors. There are quite a few people who are very serious about all this.
Speaking for myself, I was born in 1951, not 1851, and I haven’t had a friggin’ thing to do with enslaving anybody—ever. You can’t lay a guilt-trip on me, because I have no guilt – the inherent vileness of slavery has been a part of my consciousness for my entire adult life. During the slavery era in America, my ancestors were over in Ireland trying not to starve. Let me add that I have yet to meet a black person who was around when the Emancipation Proclamations were announced back in 1862-1863. Such a person does not exist.

Do you agree with RACIAL REPARATION?????

Old 10-18-2008, 04:22 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Oh for God's sake.

"I have said in the past _ and I'll repeat again _ that the best reparations we can provide are good schools in the inner city and jobs for people who are unemployed,"

"I fear that reparations would be an excuse for some to say, 'We've paid our debt,' and to avoid the much harder work."

Obama Opposes Slavery Reparations - USA Today

Old 10-18-2008, 04:36 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,443,034 times
Do I smell "fear" again?

Old 10-18-2008, 04:57 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"I have said in the past _ and I'll repeat again _ that the best reparations we can provide are good schools in the inner city and jobs for people who are unemployed,"
I agree on the good schools part, 100%!!!

Chicago is in desperate need of more good schools in the inner city. There are some - they're selective enrollment schools. There are 8 applications for every 1 slot in those schools. For every student that is lucky enough to be selected to attend one of those schools, 7 students are left in their horrible schools. Many, many parents have been wanting good schools for a long time, but Chicago has resisted in supplying enough good schools to meet the demand. It's not a problem with lack of funding, Chicago schools spend over $11,000 per student per year. It's just a matter of failing to provide schools that have rigorous curricula to the students and families who want that.

Obama could have done something about this through either his chairmanship of the board of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, which failed to improve academic achievement despite spending $160 million, or as an Illinois State Senator where he could have proposed legislation that would require Illinois school districts to meet parents' demands for a high quality education. He has done no such thing.

Since Obama failed to promote changes that would have provided the high quality education that Chicago's parents want, and wasted $160 million in the process, why in the world do so many people believe Obama has any intention of actually doing anything about improving education if he is elected?

Too many people are falling for Obama's empty rhetoric. Look at his abysmal record on 'improving' the schools - Obama is a joke!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:59 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Chicago is in desperate need of more good schools in the inner city. There are some - they're selective enrollment schools. There are 8 applications for every 1 slot in those schools. For every student that is lucky enough to be selected to attend one of those schools, 7 students are left in their horrible schools. Many, many parents have been wanting good schools for a long time, but Chicago has resisted in supplying enough good schools to meet the demand. It's not a problem with lack of funding, Chicago schools spend over $11,000 per student per year. It's just a matter of failing to provide schools that have rigorous curricula to the students and families who want that.
Exactly why McCain's insistence on more school vouchers won't work.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:01 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,281,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Obama could have done something about this through either his chairmanship of the board of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, which failed to improve academic achievement despite spending $160 million, or as an Illinois State Senator where he could have proposed legislation that would require Illinois school districts to meet parents' demands for a high quality education. He has done no such thing.

Since Obama failed to promote changes that would have provided the high quality education that Chicago's parents want, and wasted $160 million in the process, why in the world do so many people believe Obama has any intention of actually doing anything about improving education if he is elected?

Too many people are falling for Obama's empty rhetoric. Look at his abysmal record on 'improving' the schools - Obama is a joke!
Putting aside the fact that being chair of the CAC, or a state senator, does not confer the power to singlehandedly overhaul any school system. . . .

How do you suppose McCain, who has never shown even an interest in education, who isn't particularly well-educated himself, and who isn't the least bit intellectually inclined, will help the educational system in this country? And his running mate? The moron who can't put a sentence together? Right. These two will be the PERFECT team in overhauling American schools!

Old 10-18-2008, 05:33 PM

Answer - the money follows the student to the school of their CHOICE!!! For goodness sake, PLEASE stop locking kids into their residential boundary schools!!! Parents and students have absolutely NO power to change their local public school when the admin and teachers know full well that they have a captive student body that has no choice but to attend that school, and they know full well that they don't have to answer to anyone for providing a horrible education.

McCain on Education -
If a school will not change, the students should be able to change schools. John McCain believes parents should be empowered with school choice to send their children to the school that can best educate them just as many members of Congress do with their own children. He finds it beyond hypocritical that many of those who would refuse to allow public school parents to choose their child's school would never agree to force their own children into a school that did not work or was unsafe. They can make another choice. John McCain believes that is a fundamental and essential right we should honor for all parents.

This will encourage the expansion of schools that provide an academically rigorous education, which is what Chicago parents overwhelmingly demand as evidenced by the 8 times as many applications for Chicago's selective enrollment schools than there are slots available.

And, yes, a state senator CAN propose legislation that would mandate school choice in their state. Illinois does not allow school choice, even among public schools, unless families can afford to pay what is normally over $10,000 per student per year for out-of-district public school tuition.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:36 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
I have never seen so many people who actually FEAR the command to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." One can only wonder how they have "done unto others" that they so fear what they will "do unto you."

Old 10-18-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I have never seen so many people who actually FEAR the command to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." One can only wonder how they have "done unto others" that they so fear what they will "do unto you."
You know, I would certainly welcome "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Obama sends his kids to private school - will he "do unto others" what others have enabled him to do? Obama has certainly benefitted from American society enough monetarily to pay to send his kids to private school. Time for Obama to "do unto others" by giving the rest of American society the means to send their kids to private school if they so choose, too.

But he won't. Why is that? Does he think his kids are more 'special' than the rest of America's children? Obama's intent to 'spread the wealth' sure doesn't apply to America's children, does it?

Old 10-18-2008, 05:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
there is always somebody willing and attempting to turn guilt into cash.
we have slavery right now. the people we let come here without papers and work below minimum wage and treat poorly. the 1000's of minors and females who are sold into prostitution on our streets daily by people that talk about their ancestors being slaves.
we need to get off the guilt train we need to become we instead of us vs them.
i have a dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.