Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:29 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times

Advertisements

Great post above - #87

Switch Palin's and Obama's experience, including their speeches, interviews and voting records. You'd be saying Obama is ridiculously unqualified for the vice-presidency (
YouTube - Town Meeting, Wasilla, Alaska).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 12:30 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,563,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
In my opinion, a Columbia undergraduate degree coupled with a Harvard Law degree (not to mention president of the Harvard Law Review) trumps any experience one could gain as a local politician in Alaska without even talking about what they did. Even though she was governor, it is still only local experience. As for executive experience, I look at it like this. Everyone is demanding Obama have Boeing or Nokia type executive experience. And that is fine. But to say Palin has executive experience? It is true, but it is very fair to question the quality of experience. So let's take a look at where they've been.

Now let's look at local leadership. Barack Obama was an Illinois state senator for 8 years. Illinois is a state of about 10 or 11 million people. During this time, Palin was a mayor for a town of about 7,000 people. Before this, she was a member of the city council.

After Obama was senator at the state level, he moved on to the U.S. senate in 2004. Two years after Obama became a senator, Palin became governor of Alaska.

Now if we want to look back before Obama/Senate Palin/Mayor, Obama was an attorney with a law degree from Harvard. Palin was a sports anchor and helped to run a fishing company.

Therefore, I don't see the argument. It's apples and oranges.

By the way, I'm not an Obamabot. I am a Republican who is disgusted by the GOP's campaign thus far and disappointed by the pick of Palin. Why you are not also is beyond me.
again and for the last time, why didn't he PUBLISH anything while he was president of the law review? this is common to do but he didn't. You want to use this as some great accomplishment.

govenor of the largest state (of the 57 barry thinks we have ) is "local experience"???? you and I are on different planets.

he was a state senator for IL which has 8-10 million people, I didn't know state senators repped the whole state? you're kidding right?

Old 10-21-2008, 12:31 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
again and for the last time, why didn't he PUBLISH anything while he was president of the law review? this is common to do but he didn't. You want to use this as some great accomplishment.

govenor of the largest state (of the 57 barry thinks we have ) is "local experience"???? you and I are on different planets.

he was a state senator for IL which has 8-10 million people, I didn't know state senators repped the whole state? you're kidding right?
"governor of the largest state"...trees and snow dont vote.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:33 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
one more time........... this time with feeling.

why has barrack hussein obama refused to open his medical records and the old guy McCain has?

Maybe because he doesn't have to? Care to point out in the Constitution where medical condition is a qualifier for POTUS? Or maybe he just enjoys raising the paranoia level amongst the tin-foil hat wearing crowd?

One more time: WHY do YOU whine about Obama not choosing Hillary because of the number of votes she received while championing McCain for choosing Palin who received ZERO votes? Daily hypocrisy practice?

Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,237,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
Ain't it funny that Republican Vice Presidential candidate Palin has FAR MORE EXPERIENCE than the Democratic Presidential candidate Barrack Obama (what a name for our President)? How can anyone with an IQ over 50 possibly think that Obama is the best candidate for President of the United States? Can you say STUPID?
Absolutely she does, but because Nobama sounds so charming and says "change" every second he supposedly is more experienced.

Even Nobama & Biden put together are not as experienced as McCain & Palin together, it's the liberals including General Colon Bowel who are trying to convince people that Palin isn't experienced. Those that have done their research though know better. And that never includes liberals usually because most of them never take the time to read anything, they just believe whatever they hear.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
again, the other poster was admitting that he's an empty suit but because he makes a good speech it's better than mccain.

Who said anything about an empty suit making speeches?

Old 10-21-2008, 12:42 PM

493 posts, read 717,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Washingtonians are in touch??? You mean as in DC, right? Fricken amazing.
Ok, I'd like to retract that part, I hadn't had my coffee yet lol. My point is that Barack Obama has been up close and personal with DIVERSE AMERICA and that is what we are living in. Alaska has no diversity, is one of the richest and most expensive states to live in. What does Governor Palin know about the struggles in the heart of America? She can possibly sympathize, but she doesn't have the ability to EMPATHIZE and know what will work as Senator Obama does.

She's had Alaskan interests at heart all of this time, and those interests are very different than those in the heart of America, the diverse landscaped America and she must have realized it for agreeing to want it independent from the rest of America.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:42 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:

President of the Law Review can publish in the review or not, it's at his discretion. And it's a tremendous honor to be on the Harvard Law Review, something many, many people have aspired to, but only a select few have actually achieved.

Alaska may be the largest state, but substantial portions are under federal control, not state control. With a minimal population, and the entirely different challenges facing Alaska than the challenges that face the lower 48, her experience is difficult to compare with, for instance, the Governor of Illinois. The diversity of the population, the substantially increased number of citizens, the lack of natural resources, create a completely different executive experience than the one Palin has had, but the experience of the Governor of Illinois may actually be more consistent with the challenges that the President of the United States may have to face.

Obama doesn't have any executive experience. But he's got legislative experience. And his job is to enforce the laws the legislature passes. His job is to defend the Constitution of the United States. His job is to craft a foreign policy that will provide for defense of American territories, and assist the economic growth of the United States. Obama can do this, and so can his VP, Senator Biden. McCain can also do this, but I'm not so sure Palin is ready for the task.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:53 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,157,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes, I did answer your questions. I'm trying to keep this as civil as possible, but I want to be clear. I haven't been seduced by the MSM. I actually do research into candidates and I consider their positions and potential policy actions. Obama was not my first choice. McCain would have been acceptable if he was McCain 2000. He's not. I don't think he's a bad person, and I don't think he'd be a bad President. I like Sarah Palin. I disagree with her on just about every issue, but I think she's a tough political campaigner, and I applaud how far she has taken her career. I don't think she has the breadth of vision that the President of the United States needs. Her executive experience may exceed all the other candidates, but it isn't how much experience she has but rather how that experience will inform her actions if she were to end up in the oval office that's important. She may know hockey moms and Joe six-packs, she may understand what it's like to sit around the kitchen table, struggling to figure out how to pay the bills. That's just one aspect of America. For her to call it pro-America carries with it the caveat that there is an anti-America out there. Well, the people who protest the war, they aren't anti-America. The people who argue over religion in schools, who exchange angry e-mails over abortion, who take to task American foreign policy for contributing to terrorism, who take to task American domestic policy for its failures. These people aren't anti-American. They are Americans. And the next President has to embrace the good and the bad, and unfortunately much that he's going to deal with is bad. So I'm going to vote for Obama, who I think with his multi-cultural background and his educational focus on the American Constitution, who is willing to sit down with America's enemies as well as her friends, and find common ground, is the person best suited to face the enormous challenges ahead. I respect that you see this differently. But the people who support Obama are not mindless, or unthinking, or less informed than you. They have a different perspective. It's a perspective that deserves a voice, that deserves a chance to be explained and understood, every bit as much as your perspective.
Good points. Can you tell me more about his educational focus on the American Constitution? I have heard a bit about that,but would like to learn more.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:56 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Quote:
you'd rather have someone who reads off a teleprompter well.

this country is heading downhill.
"is heading" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections