Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:16 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,726,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I disagree, anything can happen in 2 weeks. Do you not remember the 2004 election when Osama made his "surprise" video and influenced us all to re-elect Bush? Anything can happen.
Didn't influence me to vote for Bush - nothing could have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 01:40 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,967,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You may be right that once you vote you are done and for you it is over and not soon enough for most people.
Yup, a lot of people feel that way. Once you vote, you don't have to watch the ads on tv any more, you don't have to pay attention anymore.

I have to admit that if I could somehow fast forward to Nov. 4th, I would. There's nothing new to discuss. Now there's nothing to do but sit through 11 days of bickering and robo calls. I'm in Virginia--we get so many calls that we had to turn the phone off. Talk about aggravation that we really don't need.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:43 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,203,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Yup, a lot of people feel that way. Once you vote, you don't have to watch the ads on tv any more, you don't have to pay attention anymore.

I have to admit that if I could somehow fast forward to Nov. 4th, I would. There's nothing new to discuss. Now there's nothing to do but sit through 11 days of bickering and robo calls (I'm in Virginia--we get so many calls that we had to turn the phone off. It's revolting. )
You know, I have never really thought of it that way! If it weren't for having to hang around here and play hall monitor, I might consider it.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:54 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,159,192 times
Rather than start a new thread on this same subject,here is another article w/ Lots of pics of the long lines at the early voting polls,as well as many others (don't forget to disregard those AOL polls! lol ) :

Election Day Could Become 'Nightmare'

Old 10-23-2008, 02:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I'm wondering f we are going to have a major problem with that. My friend said people vote twice in Philly, at 2 different polling places.. also Acorn

I did vote already and I know I'm not changing my mind.

Diane G
That seems like a reliable source!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
We are kind of drifting far off topic now. The issue here is the amazing number of early voters turning out as opposed to traditional voting day.

I would like to add, do people think this turn out is for convenience or out of fears of voting irregularities or both?
I am doing it for convenience. I was concerned that I might have to work Election Day, get off late (say, after 6 PM), get to the polling place and wait a long time because the Colorado ballot is so long this year. There are something like 16 state ballot measures, plus local ones, plus the presidential election, and many other state and local ones. Last time, there was some mess in Denver due to non-functioning machines, or something. People waited up to two hours. (I do not vote in Denver.)

Old 10-23-2008, 02:14 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Yep, here is a damn link for you since you seem too lazy to look it up yourself.

Indianapolis Voter Registration at 105%
Don't get catty when someone tells you to back up your claims.

From your link:

Of course, there are perfectly likely non-fraudulent reasons that could be. The 2007 census baseline numbers Ogden’s relying on could understate the current population. The voter rolls likely include large numbers of people who have died or moved but will in fact not vote.

Loosen up that tinfoil hat please.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:17 AM

So..... who's voting today? C'mon, you know you want to!

Old 10-24-2008, 07:18 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
Quote:
I wait until the day of the election.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Pipe dream as of our time. You must want to America with an economy the size of Bolivia!
LOL, what a great observation!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:34 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,203,422 times
Quote:
Normie, you convinced me, so I went ahead and voted early.

There were no real lines here in my little county seat but people were moving in and out pretty steady and to the credit of my county poll workers, they were very efficient at getting folks moving through. Felt a bit like being cattle about to be loaded on a truck for market but was quite painless and quick.

I was looking at the link in the OP and I am pretty amazed by the amount of early voting this election overall. The numbers on that are updated fairly regularly so be sure to check in. Although someone posted what I think was a better site showing the data in a map like format but for the life of me I can't remember where it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections