Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingOfSouthDakota View Post
Rogue state? The constitution says states can secede. Course we saw how well the Government follows the Constitution.
I wish my state would secede.

"Whenever government becomes destructive of these ends (life, liberty, pursuit of happiness), it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute a new government."
Declaration of Independence of the American Colonies, 1776
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 01:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
I believe the last person to suffer under that delusion was Jefferson Davis.

Now if you don't mind, please take out your copy of the US Constitution and please point to that Article which points to the right of secession.
There WAS history prior to the Constitution.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:22 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There WAS history prior to the Constitution.
Ah!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:23 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
I believe the last person to suffer under that delusion was Jefferson Davis.

Now if you don't mind, please take out your copy of the US Constitution and please point to that Article which points to the right of secession.

Please point out where it is explicitly forbidden.

Because if it's not explicitly addressed by the federal powers, then it implicitly becomes one of the states' rights.

The Declaration of Independence actually addresses the Founding Fathers position on secession. Then the Constitution does not prohibit it, and it could have done so, if the Founding Fathers had desired to do so. When the original authors of the Constitution were ALIVE, and the New England states brought up secession for consideration, there was no public outcry that they didn't have the right to do so. There was no rush to pass laws to prohibit secession. Why do you think that was?

Old 10-22-2008, 01:30 PM

573 posts, read 801,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There was no rush to pass laws to prohibit secession.
Because, after just seceding from England ...
... in those days being an obvious policy hypocrite was not considered "acceptable" behavior, unlike today.

::

Old 10-22-2008, 01:30 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
If Alaska seceeds, I'm moving there. If the imperialist American machine sends it's military to put down the peaceful revolt, I'll take up arms with my fellow patriots.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:31 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Please point out where it is explicitly forbidden.

Because if it's not explicitly addressed by the federal powers, then it implicitly becomes one of the states' rights.

The Declaration of Independence actually addresses the Founding Fathers position on secession. Then the Constitution does not prohibit it, and it could have done so, if the Founding Fathers had desired to do so. When the original authors of the Constitution were ALIVE, and the New England states brought up secession for consideration, there was no public outcry that they didn't have the right to do so. There was no rush to pass laws to prohibit secession. Why do you think that was?
Article I, Section. 10.
No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation....

Hey, I AGREE with you on the intent!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:43 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times
Am I reading these posts correctly? Are these Republican voters who are advocating for states to secede? Let the Alaskans steal this nation's oil? I dont think so. LOL we wouldn't even let Sadam steal his own oil, much less a theft of our very own oil. Exxon and Cheney wont allow it! LOL But seriously, how Anti-American can you conservatives get that you justify any talk of breaking up this country.?? Totally unpatriotic to the highest order. You people are really showing your true colors this election season.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Let the Alaskans steal this nation's oil?
I'm not a conservative. And I'm not a McCain/Palin supporter.

But this statement makes me sick.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:48 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm not a conservative. And I'm not a McCain/Palin supporter.

But this statement makes me sick.
I think its sickening that a group of people believe federal land belongs to them. And I believe that kooky guy who lead that party Todd Palin was a part of was willing to kill American soldiers (take back the land by force if necessary) to get his hands on the land and oil. Sorry if I find that the very essence of unpatriotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections