Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,327,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Many years ago I was looking to "improve" my life so I went to the bookstore and picked up books on computers. I studied on my own, learning the basics (picked up an old computer nobody wanted and played with it as I was learning) and eventually improved to the point where I received multiple certifications in the field. All done on my own, of my own effort, with my own money I saved on the side while I was working.

Then when I could afford it (saving and preparing), I went to school in that field. My wife also worked and on the side took online classes to get her BS and eventually her MBA.

Funny how we didn't need anyone to pay for us, we worked just like everyone else, made less money than many people who claimed they were being put down by the system and yet we were able to excel?

I understand some people have "hard times", "situations out of their control" where there are few options to recover, but if that is the majority of people out there, then we have a much much bigger problem on our hands. I don't think that is the issue though, I think those people in those cases are a minority. I think the rest are people who love to make excuses, love to blame everyone else as to their problems. Because they do so, they never learn, they never improve, and they wallow in their own self pity and nurse from failure as a crutch.
Congratulations on your accomplishments, you should be proud! I have done similar to you and I own my own business and am doing well myself. You and I are not alone by any means. It is called living the American dream and we have done it. However there are a lot of people out there that do need that helping hand push, such as needing to further there education in a field that local companies are looking to hire and can not afford tuition. The government does have these programs in place, such as getting a student loan that you do not have to make payments on until you have completed school and are working, then the payments are low. These are not hand outs, they do have to be paid back as they should, but there are a lot of people who just want it all for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 08:48 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,183,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
We need a freeze on spending to sort out what should get funded and what shouldn't. All the above that you mentioned, yes should get funded and they will. But should "save the strange caterpillar" fund get millions? Or how about Just keep feeding the healthy, capable yet lazy welfare recipients year after year without making them go get a job. Lets keep handing out Section 8 vouchers to lazy people with their hand out without a thought in the world to getting a job. Do you know how many government funded recipients (such as welfare, food stamps, WICK, Section 8, HUD, Rural development, etc.) are drug users, criminals and such? Do a comparison of criminal records verses recipients of these funds, you would find a large amount are one in the same. Oh, but wait, there is NO over sight of that kind of thing. There is NO transparency of who gets those funds. That is our government at work. McCain wants to revamp these kinds of systems and you need to freeze the fundings to these organizations and make them open all their books before they get another penny of our money.
Why should my hard earned tax money continue to feed this kind of crap?
We need the freeze to revamp these government backed, with our tax dollars, programs that our money keeps feeding and just makes this situation worse.
i just can't agree with you on this FREEZE. People die when certain programs dont get funded.

YES, much of what you said needs to be taken into consideration, and SHOULD BE DEALT WITH.

All of this can be accomplished by doing a line by line assessment on each federal program as Obama suggests.

Not cutting ALL and then putting things that need to go back one by one.

That takes too long and things too many lives can be adversly affected by that.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
The "the mentality of sitting around, playing victim and expecting others to take care of "me" seems to be more prevalent" among the children of the rich than the poor kids out there.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Maybe Obama will have US embassies guarded by US Marines instead of Blackwater mercenaries. That would save a bundle of money.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:51 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
Blah Blah Blah.

The "trickle down effect" is commonly known term that assumes that in times of a recession or depression the goverment should give greatly to the RICH in the hopes that it will eventually "trickle down" to the needy.

This is Bush/McCain doctrine. Didnt 'ya know!?

The trickle down effect makes it much harder for poorer american to get ahead EVEN WITH JOBS.

THe trickle down effect doesnt give tax breaks to the poor, it gives tax breaks to the RICH.
Give to the rich? How can you see this so backwards? Does the government give them money or let them keep more of it that they earned? You have a funny concept of the meaning of give. Do you go to a birthday party and take 1/2 their money and then throw them a 20 back and tell them it is a gift? Seriously, your concepts are out there, confusing and make no sense.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:52 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
McCain's economic plan:feed the rich,starve the poor. Losing your house? No bailout money for you, that goes to the rich bankers and CEOs who really need that money to pay for their luxurious lifestyle, after all 'the rich are very different from you and I' - right?
McCain is another 'supply side' trickle down Bushonomic's devotee, that is, give the rich all they want, and them let them relieve themselves on the middle class.
Link? Quote? Proof?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:54 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Losing your house? No bailout money for you, that goes to the rich bankers and CEOs who really need that money to pay for their luxurious lifestyle, after all 'the rich are very different from you and I' - right?
McCain is another 'supply side' trickle down Bushonomic's devotee, that is, give the rich all they want, and them let them relieve themselves on the middle class.
You do know that your chosen one voted yes for the same bail-out package that McCain did, right?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:54 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,917,628 times
Quote:
McCain's economic plan:feed the rich,starve the poor. Losing your house? No bailout money for you, that goes to the rich bankers and CEOs who really need that money to pay for their luxurious lifestyle, after all 'the rich are very different from you and I' - right?
i'm glad i'm rich then. mccain's gonna feed me? lol. starve the poor? are you referring to the welfare recipients, who dress in all designer clothes? well since all the BAD MORTGAGES DIDNT GET PAID, we obviously know who we CAN NOT TRUST MONEY WITH, so yes to the banks. so somebody gets a good education, earns their way, makes good money and re-invests into the american economy must be rich and have such a luxurious lifestyle that they have it soooo much better than you?

if you work and pay taxes you have to be rich huh? go get a job and you can be rich too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I have been waiting for the trickle down effect for 8 years...NOT WORKING FOR ME REAL WELL...Time for a serious change...
lol i agree with pchguest, you highlighted the wrong part, rofl. lets drive thos home 1 more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I have been waiting for the trickle down effect for 8 years...NOT WORKING FOR ME REAL WELL...Time for a serious change...
GO GET A JOB IT YOU WANT MONEY.

YouTube - Response to Obama, 5: Tax Rates and Job Creation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8IAfkDBjr0&feature=user

the trickle down effect allowed most corporations to expand and building and higher hundreds of thousands more. prior to the housing crisis 2 years ago, unemployment was at an all time low. the wealth in the US went up 20% since the clinton administration.

yes bush is an unpopular president. i voted for him and didnt even want to. the local newspaper had an article talking with me outside the voting center about it. kerry was a joke. obama is a joke.

we would not have a problem if we "de-regulated" banks. banks are failing because regulations require them to have certain requirements met with available funds, etc. the worst of it though is the law that requires them to MAKE BAD LOANS, you know the ones that collapsed the economy. DEMOCRATS PUT IT THROUGH DURING CLINTONS ADMINISTRATION. the laws obama helped enforce by sueing banks and getting them fined if they didnt fullfill the loans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivmL-lXNy64

Last edited by brokerdave; 10-22-2008 at 09:04 AM..

Old 10-22-2008, 08:56 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Congratulations on your accomplishments, you should be proud! I have done similar to you and I own my own business and am doing well myself. You and I are not alone by any means. It is called living the American dream and we have done it. However there are a lot of people out there that do need that helping hand push, such as needing to further there education in a field that local companies are looking to hire and can not afford tuition. The government does have these programs in place, such as getting a student loan that you do not have to make payments on until you have completed school and are working, then the payments are low. These are not hand outs, they do have to be paid back as they should, but there are a lot of people who just want it all for free.
We have those systems in place, we increase them every year and yet for some reason, it isn't enough? There comes a point where "help" turns to "handout". Helping is good, but these people aren't seeking help, if they were, they would meet it half way. What we have though is a lot of people who haven't even taken the first step, who are unwilling to put the effort and more willing to have everyone come to them and carry them to their success. Thats the problem I see.

America is the land of opportunities, not the land of gifts, the land of guaranteed success. It is a land where if people are willing to put the effort in, they can achieve it. People aren't putting the effort and we are granting them success when they have not sacrificed to achieve it. They won't respect it if they are given it, they have to earn it. All giving it to them does is cause them to hold out their hands for seconds.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:57 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,183,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Many years ago I was looking to "improve" my life so I went to the bookstore and picked up books on computers. I studied on my own, learning the basics (picked up an old computer nobody wanted and played with it as I was learning) and eventually improved to the point where I received multiple certifications in the field. All done on my own, of my own effort, with my own money I saved on the side while I was working.
wonderful for you.

My story is full with much adversity. I was BORN POOR. GREW UP POOR and didnt get squat no matter who i asked!! lol

I went to school, busted my ass working, and invested in a little bit of NYC real estate in the early 90's.

I'm comfortably living a nice middle class life today.

But guess what, other than a few positive role models in my life growing up, the single most important thing to ever happen to me was a state program offered in my high schhol at that time. The cooperative learning program. Work one week, go to school the next (junior and senior years).

The industry which i worked in while in high school is the same industry i workin today.

It was a SOCIAL PROGRAM that gave me a bit of an hand to help he up. Didn't cost much and i've became a productive tax paying citizen.

It worked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections