Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:37 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Most people don't want the good life?
Uhhh..."but they just don't want to work for it they want it for free."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 01:38 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,495,064 times
For people that wanted facts.
Here are the numbers 2005 from the US Government

Congressional Budget Office data, 2005
Share of federal Share of Total
Income taxes Pre-tax Income
Top 1% 39%
Top 5% 61%
Top 10% 73%
Top 20% 86.3%
Second Highest 20% 13.1%
Middle 20% 4.4%
Second Lowest 20% -0.9%
Bottom 20% -2.9%
Source: Congressional Budget Office
http://www.atr.org/content/pdf/2008/August/081408ot-federalincometaxandwhattheypay.pdf (broken link)
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/88xx/doc8...alTaxRates.pdf

Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Yes? What part of that doesn't make sense?

Old 10-24-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Yes? What part of that doesn't make sense?
Who said anything about sense? I'm asking you to back up your wild claim.

I, for one, don't want anything for free. I'm proud of working for what I own. I can't be the only one.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:05 PM

973 posts, read 2,229,806 times
Quote:
Quote:
The stimulus checks are a scam to increase ratings of both president and congress for the hope of boosting an upcoming election, and if they could claim it helped the economy, they'd take it. If they had instead announced that capital gains taxes would be reduced by 5-10% on all stocks purchased after the date the announced the "stimulus checks" until the sale of the stock, investment in the stock market would have boosted the economy better than buying votes from the public.

Again, the stock market does not, cannot boost the economy. The stock market is a reflection of the economy. A company is worth what it produces, not what someone pays for it.
Your last paragraph is simply not correct. Investment in the stock market means companies have more funds to provide jobs - it doesn't all go directly into CEO pockets. My suggestion to reduce capital gains on long-term stock purchases means people have to invest in a company for at least a year to qualify for the low tax rate on their investment. People are concerned about unemployment and falling sales. Increase employment and sales will follow since that's more people that will have an income to purchase goods.

It was just one example of a flurry of better alternative ways to "spend" $150 billion to improve the economy. A better way of boosting the economy than giving out stimulus checks would be to use that $150 billion toward corporate tax incentives to hire more employees. Or, use that $150 billion toward a reduction in fuel taxes. There are countless ways of spending $150 billion to reduce costs for all "consumers" - freeing up money for them to purchase goods without DIRECTLY handing them a check. By doing that, people are going to expect the government to hand them money when times get tough. Lower taxes if you want to grow the economy. Enact laws to make the country better suited for legal citizens to have more and higher paying jobs if you want to grow the economy. Handing out $600 checks is like slapping a band-aid on an amputation. Surgery is needed, not lollipops.

So many candidates refuse to acknowledge a major problem is the oversupply of workers on the lower end of the job market due to illegal immigration. Companies get away with lower salaries when so many people are willing to work for minimum wage. I'm all for severely punishing the companies that hire illegals, but the problem is many of them hand forth stolen identities and social security numbers, so the paperwork checks out. Until this issue is resolved, wages will be surpressed, insurance costs will remain high to cover the number of cases involving the uninsured, and the economy will stagnate. It only hurts the economy when illegals continually send chunks of their income to relatives in Mexico and other foreign countries. The second highest source of revenue (behind oil) for the Mexican GDP is US money sent from relatives working in the US! This amount is three times the revenue generated from tourism in Mexico. That is money that could have been used by a legal employee in their position at work on goods purchased in the US. The buildup of illegal immigration over the last 20+ years has brought government budgets, insurance coverage, the job market for the lower and middle class, and the US economy to their knees.

I didn't intend to get on the track of illegal immigration, but the problem is that it is VERY closely tied the fall of our economy and rising costs in healthcare, insurance, and certain aspects of government spending.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Most people? Where do you get your statistics?
Quote:
I think you can look at the number of people voting for Obama because they are expecting a check as evidence..

Old 10-24-2008, 02:09 PM

52 posts, read 59,836 times
Quote:
Who said anything about sense? I'm asking you to back up your wild claim.

I, for one, don't want anything for free. I'm proud of working for what I own. I can't be the only one.

Herein lies the problem. There is a whole culture in the US, built on the "victim" scenario. Elitist liberals tell these people they are victims & proceed to take care of them, on my dime. Instead, let's help these people to fend for themselves. Whadda-ya-say???

Old 10-24-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
Your last paragraph is simply not correct. Investment in the stock market means companies have more funds to provide jobs - it doesn't all go directly into CEO pockets.
The only time money from stock sales goes to the company is during an IPO or sales of company owned stock. If I sell 100 shares of IBM, that money goes to me, not IBM.

If I sell those shares at $100 apiece, that doesn't mean IBM's productivity is necessarily greater than when I bought them for $90 each. IBM's true value goes up when sales of its products goes up, not sales of its stock.

In a perfect world, stock price should reflect a company's true value, but when cash is infused into the market (as with tax cuts to the wealthy), price will rise. Simple supply/demand economics. More cash = more demand = higher price. This occurs independently of the company's actual performance.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaSI View Post
Herein lies the problem. There is a whole culture in the US, built on the "victim" scenario. Elitist liberals tell these people they are victims & proceed to take care of them, on my dime. Instead, let's help these people to fend for themselves. Whadda-ya-say???
Everyone I know (except my ex-wife) does fend for him/herself, so I can't relate to your claims.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think you can look at the number of people voting for Obama because they are expecting a check as evidence..
Another baseless claim...ho-hum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections