Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 02:59 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I voted. It felt good. There seemed to be a lot of positive energy in the room. I predict an Obama landslide.
I noticed the same thing. So much positive energy in the room that voting actually energized me!

So... had a rough day at work today? Want something to perk you up? Go vote, it's better than a cup of Starbucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 05:53 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Just drove by our local voting station, and for the first time there are plenty of parking spaces and no line. I guess a lot of the people who wanted to do early voting have done so...

So if you want the absolutely most convenient chance to vote, today's the day!

C'mon... you know you want to do it. If you know who you want, what are you waiting for?
I'm confused here. Where in Virginia can you vote early? I thought it was just my area in Virginia that it wasn't available, but I heard on the radio this morning that none of Virginia has early voting....only abesentee voting.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:02 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
I'm confused here. Where in Virginia can you vote early? I thought it was just my area in Virginia that it wasn't available, but I heard on the radio this morning that none of Virginia has early voting....only abesentee voting.
I don't live in VA, but I found this for you. Hope it's helpful:

Quote:
Virginia allows early in person voting if you qualify to use an absentee ballot. You may request the ballot and vote in-person at their local election office as soon as mail-in ballots become available.
Typically, absentee ballots are available up to 45 days before a November General Election and approximately 30 days before other elections and ends at 5:00 p.m. on the Saturday before the election
Nonprofit Voter Engagement Network - Early Voting in Person - Virginia (http://www.nonprofitvote.org/index.php/Early-Voting-in-Person-Virginia.html - broken link)

Old 10-28-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
I don't live in VA, but I found this for you. Hope it's helpful:

Nonprofit Voter Engagement Network - Early Voting in Person - Virginia (http://www.nonprofitvote.org/index.php/Early-Voting-in-Person-Virginia.html - broken link)

Thanks! The OP is from VA and makes it sound like you can just go up to the polling place and vote (lines empty today, etc.). Aside from this, there is NO early voting in VA, so if you don't qualify to use an absentee ballot, you can't do it. Then you need to get the form.

"Virginia allows early in person voting if you qualify to use an absentee ballot."

Old 10-28-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I voted absentee. If you go into vote before Nov. 4th, you simply check off a box for the reason you want to vote absentee. The choices are:

* Does your work day, including your commute time, keep you away from home for 11 hours or more?

* Are you the primary caregiver for a family member confined at home?

* Are you disabled or suffering from an illness?

* Are you a student away at school or a spouse of a student?

* Are you pregnant?

* Will you be away for business reasons, personal reasons, or vacation?

* Are you temporarily residing outside of the United States?

* Do you have a religious obligation?

* Are you a member of the U.S. Uniformed Services on active duty or are you the spouse of an active duty service member?

* Will you be serving as an election official?

* Will you be confined either awaiting trial or already convicted of a misdemeanor?

When my girl friends and I decided to vote early, we also decided to take a short trip to New York City on Nov. 4th. Thus, we will be out of town and qualified to vote absentee.

And we're even putting a patriotic spin on our little vacation. I've never been to Ellis Island or the Status of Liberty, I think we're going to try to work it in (if we can bear to tear ourselves away from 5th Ave., LOL)

Old 10-28-2008, 07:14 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
I voted absentee. If you go into vote before Nov. 4th, you simply check off a box for the reason you want to vote absentee. The choices are:

* Does your work day, including your commute time, keep you away from home for 11 hours or more?

* Are you the primary caregiver for a family member confined at home?

* Are you disabled or suffering from an illness?

* Are you a student away at school or a spouse of a student?

* Are you pregnant?

* Will you be away for business reasons, personal reasons, or vacation?

* Are you temporarily residing outside of the United States?

* Do you have a religious obligation?

* Are you a member of the U.S. Uniformed Services on active duty or are you the spouse of an active duty service member?

* Will you be serving as an election official?

* Will you be confined either awaiting trial or already convicted of a misdemeanor?

When my girl friends and I decided to vote early, we also decided to take a short trip to New York City on Nov. 4th. Thus, we will be out of town and qualified to vote absentee.

And we're even putting a patriotic spin on our little vacation. I've never been to Ellis Island or the Status of Liberty, I think we're going to try to work it in (if we can bear to tear ourselves away from 5th Ave., LOL)
In NC you don't even have to provide a reason. You can register and early Vote at the same time!!

Old 10-28-2008, 07:16 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Wife and I are voting today per the leadership of Normie.

Have you voted? If not then do so now.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks! The OP is from VA and makes it sound like you can just go up to the polling place and vote (lines empty today, etc.).
Yes, that is exactly how easy it is, as long as you qualify for one of the reasons listed in the post above.

You want to know how easy it is? You walk into the voting station. They hand you the list of reasons, you check off which one applies to you, and then they give you a ballot. You don't have to do anything in advance, you can just decide to vote on a whim (as long as one of the reasons apply). If none of them apply to you, vote on Nov. 4th. But the list is pretty inclusive--IMO most pepole qualify one way or the other, especially here in Virginia where long work days and commutes are pretty common (see reason #1 on the list).

The good news is the rest of us will have made the lines much shorter for those of you voting on the 4th.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Yes, that is exactly how easy it is, as long as you qualify for one of the reasons listed in the post above.

You want to know how easy it is? You walk into the voting station. They hand you the list of reasons, you check off which one applies to you, and then they give you a ballot. You don't have to do anything in advance, you can just decide to vote on a whim (as long as one of the reasons apply). If none of them apply to you, vote on Nov. 4th. But the list is pretty inclusive--IMO most pepole qualify one way or the other, especially here in Virginia where long work days and commutes are pretty common (see reason #1 on the list).

The good news is the rest of us will have made the lines much shorter for those of you voting on the 4th.
I don't qualify for any of them. I thought I was missing something. My polling place is at a school and my county website specifically says NO early voting. I really don't think it's an option at the school or there is anyone to hand it in at this time. No voting on a whim here.

I hope you enjoy your trip to NYC! I'm originally from there.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
I don't qualify for any of them. I thought I was missing something. My polling place is at a school and my county website specifically says NO early voting. I really don't think it's an option at the school or there is anyone to hand it in at this time. No voting on a whim here.

I hope you enjoy your trip to NYC! I'm originally from there.
Bummer--hopefully next election they will decide the early voting went so well they will just go the full measure and open it to everyone, whether or not you have an "absentee reason". It really has made a huge difference up in my county. For one thing, having the voting stations up and running for two weeks means the staff now has it down to a science. They know how get the voters in and out quickly, how to organize the lines, how to deal with political buttons, how to deal with cars that can't find parking, how to keep machines from jamming, etc.

Anyway, the good news is we made it easier for you to vote Nov. 4th. I think we will have a record number of voters in Virginia this election as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections