Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 04:36 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times

Advertisements

Some voters 'purged' from voter rolls - CNN.com

My favorite parts are where you have 1 week from the letter date and you receive the latte one week from the letter date. I have said it before and I will say it again. Voter registration fraud is about $$ but voter purging fraud is about rigging an election.

Quote:
The letter, which was dated October 2, gave her a week from the time it was dated to prove her citizenship. There was a problem, though -- the letter was postmarked October 9.
I have an idea.....let's do voter purging more often and immediately after each election so we aren't waiting until the last minute and effecting the outcome of an election. For a country that promotes democracy and pushes other countries to adopt our methods we sure are stupid when it comes to doing it ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 04:55 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Yes. We have one of the poorest run elections of all the free world.
Even when we get new machines we make sure they have more ways of rigging an election than the old ones that they replace.
Which means that our government must also be one of the most corrupt, because any country that takes its democracy seriously would consider honest elections to be one of its first concerns.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Default Do you live in Georgia? Check your name and status online

This article is about eligible Georgia voters being purged from the rolls. They may be able to cast a provisional ballot, "but it's up to county election officials whether those ballots would actually count."

Georgians can check to be sure their names are on the rolls properly ("Voter Quick Access" page):

Georgia Secretary of State, Elections Division

Old 10-27-2008, 05:28 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
One of the Parties or perhaps all of the Secretary of State offices should receive discounted airtime to run 24 hr. cycles of Voter public service information. If nothing else they should make Consumers aware of the fact that the websites exist to check their registrations and perhaps work with all of the libraries to promote citizens using them to check their voter info if they don't own a PC. It would be nice to see some effort in this regard, you know, a talk to your friends and neighbors with a computer (if you don't own one) type of message, and a more uniform push to get folks to verify their data. Purging is just sad....

NC State Board of Elections - Check your info here

Old 10-27-2008, 06:01 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I was purged and I am Republican. Someone posted on the boards several weeks ago that you should check your voter status to make sure you are still registered. I checked and I found I was listed as "inactive." So was my husband, who was registered Independent. We have lived at the same address and voted at the same polling site for 22 years, yet we were purged. I don't know why it happened, but we re-registered and now we are eligible to vote

Old 10-27-2008, 07:08 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
My biggest issue with this is how close to the actual election day this is happening as well as the date "mix-up" where you receive the letter on the final day of getting this fixed. It's crap.

Our voting system is antiquated, run by idiots and does not represent what we as a country preach to other nations about Democracy. Registering takes 5 minutes and you can do it at the polls. If someone has the correct documentation they should be able to register onsite and not have to jump through hoops thanks to the State screwing up.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:21 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Both parties get purged the question is the percentage of and how are other sub groups impacted. The Republican's have a rich history of voter suppression.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:43 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I was purged and I am Republican. Someone posted on the boards several weeks ago that you should check your voter status to make sure you are still registered. I checked and I found I was listed as "inactive." So was my husband, who was registered Independent. We have lived at the same address and voted at the same polling site for 22 years, yet we were purged. I don't know why it happened, but we re-registered and now we are eligible to vote
I'm glad you checked!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That was me! I! I posted it! Are you sure you're all right to vote, or will you have to cast a provisional ballot? Call and be sure.

I wish the mods would make these Secretary of State voter-info links a sticky.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:30 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
One of the Parties or perhaps all of the Secretary of State offices should receive discounted airtime to run 24 hr. cycles of Voter public service information. If nothing else they should make Consumers aware of the fact that the websites exist to check their registrations and perhaps work with all of the libraries to promote citizens using them to check their voter info if they don't own a PC. It would be nice to see some effort in this regard, you know, a talk to your friends and neighbors with a computer (if you don't own one) type of message, and a more uniform push to get folks to verify their data. Purging is just sad....

NC State Board of Elections - Check your info here
What an excellent suggestion! If they would simply inform the people in a timely manner....it sure would save a whole lot of problems and money come election day. It will be a complete ZOO where regardless who wins....one side will think the other side won illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections