Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:13 PM

11,361 posts, read 16,733,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I think everywhere should close on Election Day. Make it a Federal Holiday already. So naturally I'm glad to see someone take the initiative!
Not sure how old you are, but prior to 1990 it was a Federal holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 07:15 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,206,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
They must have changed it. Because I know for sure most people don't have that day off. Giving everyone the day off election day would drive up turnout exponentially.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:59 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,732,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
?????? I don't remember that.

In fact, I remember voting in 1984 and being worried about missing work. It was my first real job.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:06 PM

11,361 posts, read 16,733,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
They must have changed it. Because I know for sure most people don't have that day off. Giving everyone the day off election day would drive up turnout exponentially.
They took Election Day, Good Friday and Lincoln's Birthday away and give us MLK Day.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:19 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,497,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You should hear what he use to call him when he posted under a different screen name.

Barry and his Mom Cheap Trixie?

Old 10-29-2008, 08:31 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,482,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclad View Post
Well when 92% of the least educated and lowest rung of society vote for skin color alone it MIGHT be about race.

Now why did obama need to invoke race into the mix when he mentioned "oh, and I'm black"? The boy may have screwed up on that one.
Fisrt of all, f*ck your "boy" and "lowest rung of society" comments..

Secondly, why do you assume that they're voting for him becuase he's black? Are you voting for McCain because he's white? No, you're just a raving racist. That's it! It's time for you to retire to the nether regions of your trailer.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:00 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,946,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Wow, accusing one person of racism and then in the next breath (sentence) you practice ageism. They are both ugly and neither should be acceptable.
Wow you're astute. It was deliberate but does not play to ageism as Senility is a state of mind...not always age:

Quote:
showing a decline or deterioration of physical strength or mental functioning, esp. short-term memory and alertness, as a result of old age or disease.
I could have meant the disease part

Last edited by tluv00; 10-29-2008 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: Send too early

Old 10-29-2008, 09:02 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,990,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Wow you're astute. It was deliberate.
uhh, ok.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:12 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,123,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Some of you seem to think it somehow shameful that citizens who are black are excited because there is a candidate who is black for whom they can vote this year. How petty of you. There have been 43 white men who have been president up to this present day. The only presidents for whom they could vote were white men. Now imagine that the only candidates for whom you could vote for for 230 years were men who were black. And imagine that this year, for the first time, you could vote for a man who was white. How would you feel. Don't lie, just think about it. You can't even imagine it, can you? You know you can't. So don't be so petty, so small, so hypocritical that you would begrudge these citizens their joy and pride....or make them feel they have to excuse that joy and pride...because they actually have a candidate who is black for whom they can vote this year. Heaven knows they've waited long enough. 230 years, during which time they were bought and sold..and had their children bought and sold by white men. 230 years in which they fought and died for this country. 230 years in which they worked at substandard jobs for substandard pay and paid their taxes. 230 years in which they went to schools where they were given school books that were "handed down" from white schools and still managed to become educated. 230 years of telling their children to work hard, get an education, make the most of yourself. Now here comes a man who is black who has done all of those things and is ready to actually become the President of the United States and you actually have the stones to pretend they shouldn't be happy about that? How small of you. How petty.
I guess there are people out there that look at more than just the color of one's skin. Just like MLK wanted it to be.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:59 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,980,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclad View Post
Relax Roscoe, I gave 4 examples and there are 17 year olds in college, why would a HBC let out early to vote, how do you get they are more likely to have criminal records....(unless you know something) and I stand by polls should be open ELECTION DAY only.
The percentage of students who are NOT of an age eligible to vote is MUCh less than those who are.

That's ridiculous that polls should only be open ON election day. It makes for long lines, clusterf****, and ultimately less people voting. But perhaps that' what the McCain voters would like this time around...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections