Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:39 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Are you hinting at a Palin run for office in 12?
After this campaign, I think the only office she'll manage is dog catcher. Pitbulls with lipstick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 01:49 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:

On the bright side, after this purge of the party, at least the neoconservative name will be equated ...
A suggestion: dump the "conservative" label altogether and adopt "classical liberal" (17th-18th century style).

Then we'll have the "classical liberals" and the "neoliberals" and really confuse the hell out of people.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
A suggestion: dump the "conservative" label and adopt "classical liberal" (17th-18th century style).

Then we'll have the "classical liberals" and the "neoliberals" and really confuse the hell out of people.
Most Republican assume we're liberals anyway because we don't agree with their big government, overspending, over regulating, empirical ways. .

Old 10-31-2008, 02:00 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
A suggestion: dump the "conservative" label altogether and adopt "classical liberal" (17th-18th century style).

Well for all practical purposes, neoconservative and neoliberal are interchangeable. Neo meaning new, conservative or liberal denotes that they were something other that conservative or liberal before.

This group is a bit of an amalgam of political philosophies, but I have always equated it as a parasitic infection. The neoconservatives used social conservative wing as foot soldiers for a unified voting bloc with promises of addressing their agenda. Of course after six years of having a Republican Congress and Executive, the neoconservatives did absolutely NOTHING for social conservatives but pat them on the head and say, good job.

I highly doubt that many contemporary conservatives realize that much of the neoconservative ideology was born in the Trotskyist mindset of militant liberalism. (not to be confused with classic liberalism) William Kristol, the holy speaker of the contemporary right even stated on live TV during the 04 DNC on CNN that, "neoconservatives should embrace their liberal roots". This was a response to the possibility that Kerry was looking good in the polls at the time and the neoconservatives wanted to hedge their bets within both parties.

During the primaries, many of the well known neoconservatives came out and heaped praise on Hillary when she said that nuking Iran was a distinct possibility. You could almost hear them slurp the saliva back in their throats they were so gleeful.

For the past few years I have tried to get my mind around how to approach the problem of dealing with neoconservatives within the Republican Party. As Paperhouse mentioned, it is almost a blessing in disguise that the house of GOP will be purified in the flames that are now lit. Starting from scratch is probably better then trying to fix something that is so discombobulated that it is hard to tell who is who anymore.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
I highly doubt that many contemporary conservatives realize that much of the neoconservative ideology was born in the Trotskyist mindset of militant liberalism. (not to be confused with classic liberalism) William Kristol, the holy speaker of the contemporary right even stated on live TV during the 04 DNC on CNN that, "neoconservatives should embrace their liberal roots". This was a response to the possibility that Kerry was looking good in the polls at the time and the neoconservatives wanted to hedge their bets within both parties.
Wasn't it his father, Irving Kristol, that believed the rampant individualism promoted by the liberals would be the downfall of American society? So they became the "conservatives" and preached happily about how individualism is the greatest cause known to man, personal responsibility, and free markets while using government to limit individualism, remove all accountability from personal mistakes, and limit the free market through government intervention? When they finally got around to allowing the free market to operate, they still don't admit to accountability needing to be the cornerstone of responsibility. And of course, they talk about how the Democrats and "liberals" don't do anything for the individual and want to socialize everything?

Old 10-31-2008, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Wasn't it his father, Irving Kristol, that believed the rampant individualism promoted by the liberals would be the downfall of American society? So they became the "conservatives" and preached happily about how individualism is the greatest cause known to man, personal responsibility, and free markets while using government to limit individualism, remove all accountability from personal mistakes, and limit the free market through government intervention? When they finally got around to allowing the free market to operate, they still don't admit to accountability needing to be the cornerstone of responsibility. And of course, they talk about how the Democrats and "liberals" don't do anything for the individual and want to socialize everything?
The one and only!

Irving, Poderhertz, and even Wolfowitz were drinkers of the Straussian Jim Juice but never really had his intellect in my opinion. I DVD'd the power of nightmares to share with my political circle of dissenters and no other piece of video has as vividly shown the effects and motives of this mindset better. Hard to separate these folks from the followers of Sayyid Qutb.

Thankfully their day has come and gone. Now the Republican Party has a chance of readopting its more traditional roots, or at least I hope they do.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
The one and only!

Irving, Poderhertz, and even Wolfowitz were drinkers of the Straussian Jim Juice but never really had his intellect in my opinion. I DVD'd the power of nightmares to share with my political circle of dissenters and no other piece of video has as vividly shown the effects and motives of this mindset better. Hard to separate these folks from the followers of Sayyid Qutb.

Thankfully their day has come and gone. Now the Republican Party has a chance of readopting its more traditional roots, or at least I hope they do.
It took me a long time to get through that. I kept running back to google to verify.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:39 AM

They have a really good video posted here in his interview with Rachel Maddow. Notice at the bottom of the ticker the current Montana instate polling. wow

Campaign For Liberty — Home

In case the video falls off the page

YouTube - Ron Paul on Rachel Maddow

Old 10-31-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
They have a really good video posted here in his interview with Rachel Maddow. Notice at the bottom of the ticker the current Montana instate polling. wow
I heard a guy on NPR tonight dismiss Paul's numbers in Montana. He claimed that they'll vote for McCain just to keep Obama from taking the state. These pundits still don't get it.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:01 AM

240 posts, read 475,200 times
How is Ron Paul even on the ballot if he isn't running anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections