Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:52 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,362,269 times

Advertisements

By George F. Will
Sunday, November 2, 2008; Page B07

By midnight Tuesday, millions of conservatives probably will believe that the nation, foundering on the reefs of sin, is ruined. And millions of "progressives," emboldened to embrace truth in labeling by again calling themselves liberals, probably will have decided that Heaven is at hand, the nation revived like a flower in an April shower.

And in truth, neither of them will be correct. We have a long hard road back to reason and the rule of law, as well as back to government by and for the people, from the Bush Administration. This will take time, work and bipartisan effort. The fringe groups on both sides need to moderate their tone and learn to accept compromise, we need to land "squarely in the middle", and ruled by reason, not emotion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 09:54 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,262,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
George F. Will from todays Washington Post.

RealClearPolitics - Articles - A Seismic Election Day

[Mod edited: Copyright]
I'm hoping this election will finally prove that Republican smear campaigning (lying, half truths, mis-quotes, etc.) doesn't work. The stupidity of many of these ads, and the stupidity is 99% on the Republican side, has just been nauseating.

All I can figure is that they're playing to the lowest common denominator in this country. I graduated from college and recall a wonderful class I took, "Critical Thinking". It should be required at the high school level!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:58 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,620,903 times
389* 8 24

*possible surprise of two or more States AZ, MO, IN, ND, MT, WV

Old 11-03-2008, 10:15 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,362,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm hoping this election will finally prove that Republican smear campaigning (lying, half truths, mis-quotes, etc.) doesn't work. The stupidity of many of these ads, and the stupidity is 99% on the Republican side, has just been nauseating.

All I can figure is that they're playing to the lowest common denominator in this country. I graduated from college and recall a wonderful class I took, "Critical Thinking". It should be required at the high school level!
I am appalled at how many people, people who believe that they are "well educated, who may even have college degrees, have never been taught even the basics of critical thinking! I feel so very lucky, that, when I was young, my mother challenged by critical thinking skills in a number of areas, most predominantly where "advertisement" was concerned. I learned to always ask myself "what are they trying to sell me", whether it be product or idea, and to weigh the pros and cons of each issue on an individual basis, with my consience (the one the nuns drummed into me, and the ones the nuns would be aghast at where my consicience has led me) as my guide. If that makes me "elite" well, I guess I am, then, but even the poorest and least educated amoung us can be "elite" with a little bit of wise, early training!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:52 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,262,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I am appalled at how many people, people who believe that they are "well educated, who may even have college degrees, have never been taught even the basics of critical thinking! I feel so very lucky, that, when I was young, my mother challenged by critical thinking skills in a number of areas, most predominantly where "advertisement" was concerned. I learned to always ask myself "what are they trying to sell me", whether it be product or idea, and to weigh the pros and cons of each issue on an individual basis, with my consience (the one the nuns drummed into me, and the ones the nuns would be aghast at where my consicience has led me) as my guide. If that makes me "elite" well, I guess I am, then, but even the poorest and least educated amoung us can be "elite" with a little bit of wise, early training!
I totally agree. Thinking back on that class, advertisements and political ads were a part of what we "disected". I'll try and teach critical thinking to my kids way before they get to college!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:10 AM

26,239 posts, read 49,129,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

I had a course in that courtesy of the Army, great stuff.

Too bad, Critical Thinking will never be taught at our evango-fascist madrassa's, all those loser kids will get is brainwashed.

For those who quest to learn HOW to think (not WHAT to think) give this link a try: Foundation for Critical Thinking: Books, Conferences and Academic Resources for Educators and Students. (http://www.criticalthinking.org/index.cfm - broken link)

Old 11-04-2008, 09:18 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,208,866 times
No bumping now...

Dying to see the results of the Senate races myself

Old 11-04-2008, 09:27 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,567,001 times
Just curious . . . if someone disagrees w/ Obama's policies. . . does that mean he/she will be dismissed as being incapable of "critical thinking?"

As far as the election . . . this could be a repeat of 2000, w/ no declared winner for weeks . . . If the votes are close, re-counts will be called for . . . it could be a crazy mess . . .

Old 11-04-2008, 11:54 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,620,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
No bumping now...

Dying to see the results of the Senate races myself
So am I.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:53 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,876,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I caught the ABC Sunday morning shout fest (actually it's one of the few cordial, and thought provoking "group" shows) this morning and Stephanopolis (sp?) asked each panel member to give their predictions on the the election's final numbers. I wrote them down and post them here so we can all look back on Wednesday, or Thursday, or December 14th and see who was closest.

In order they are; Electoral College, Senate pick ups for the Democrats, and House of Representative pick ups for the Democrats;

George Will
378 8 21

Matthew Dowd-former advisor to RNC, chief strategist to Bush/Cheny '04
338 8 17

Mark Halperin-political director, ABC News, senior political analyst-Time
349 7 28

Donna Brazile-campaign manager Gore/Lieberman 2000
343 8 29

George Stephanop....
353 7 28

Average (mean) of the five predictions;

352.2 7.6 24.6

What say you?

Can we keep enough bumps on this so I don't have to search all over for it on Wednesday?

golfgod
George Will may have been close. Does he do commodities trading?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections