Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would you take your children back to a church that made the statement quoted?
no, i would never go back to that church 23 47.92%
yes, i would since that statement does not bother me 25 52.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:13 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,452,060 times

Advertisements

I couldn´t agree more.

It is quite refreshing to see that there are still people with the ability of self analysis and I would certainly like for my children to be exposed to it and to learn this very rare skill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 01:20 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Never! Wright is no better than Louis Farrakhan...spews hate.
Slavery is hateful, spitting on and hosing black children down in the streets (which is part of my childhood) during a civil rights march is hateful. Considering black people 3/5ths human is hateful; hanging us from trees is hateful . . . remember Emmett Till who whistled at a white woman and was murdered because of it . . .that's hateful too . . I could go on but you get where this is going don't you?

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Sometimes the TRUTH about America is hateful, but it still needs to be "spewed".

Old 11-03-2008, 01:21 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I don't know why people bother starting polls like this one. Democrats are liars with no sense of morality. They want what you have without working for it themselves.
Well, this Democrat takes great offense to your statement. If I said what was on my mind, I would most definitely be banned.

I work over 50 hrs/week, and so does my husband. For several years I worked TWO JOBS.

I'm legally married, pay my taxes, and help my neighbors.

Better watch the generalities...they're WRONG. They also make you sound like a very small person indeed.

Please--convince me somehow that this common republican mindset and racism/bigotry have NOTHING in common.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:25 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
Wright made his comments on September 16, only 5 days after the deadly strikes in New York and Washington. He said, in part, "We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye....We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost."

would you expose your family to such vitriol?
We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon

That's true.

and we never batted an eye

I disagree with that. There were many people who were deeply concerned with the morality of that bomb, including President Truman. It was war, though, and it was a war-ending act, that many people celebrated.

We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians

When we, along with other world powers, established the state of Israel, we overrode the protests of the people in the Middle East. We are partly responsible for the instability of that area because of how Israel was created and our part in that creation. Israel is surrounded by enemies, and we've given it the means to defend itself. But it has overstepped pure defense when the Israeli leaders have deemed it good for Israel. I think this is what Reverend Wright is referencing. I don't think we should blindly support every action of Israel. We are allied with Israel, and we should continue to politically support Israel, but not blindly or unquestioningly, because stability in the region overall benefits the United States, and not all of Israel's actions promote that stability.

and black South Africans

We have supported political regimes all over the world that have done horrible things to their people. It would be nice if we hadn't had a hand in establishing Saddam Hussein's leadership in Iraq in the first place, or if we hadn't been supporters of the Shah of Iran. It would be nice if American foreign policy had only ever supported "good" leaders, but political expediency outweighed our idealism several times. Denying our failings doesn't make us a better people. We need to strive to do better.

now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost

I don't think we were indignant. We were shocked and grieving. I think Reverend Wright might have been impassioned when he made these statements, he was probably in shock and grieving as well. He could have been more moderate in his statements. But Americans need to be aware of our policies in other nations, of the impact we have on the world, both good and bad. When we fund revolutionaries in South America, Americans need to know. When we sell arms to rebels around the world, Americans need to know whom we are arming and why. It may benefit the United States in the short term, but good foreign policy looks at the long term as well. And our government is representing us around the world. Shouldn't we know just how that representation is going, and what it says about our nation?

So yes, if I had children, I would go back to this church. I'd also talk to my children about those statements, and about all the other sermons Reverend Wright has preached. I'd want my children to understand that the world isn't like the movies, problems don't always get resolved, right and wrong isn't always simple and clear, we live in a complex world where contradictions do exist, and difficult choices have to be made sometimes.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:28 PM

511 posts, read 658,727 times
No op I might take my kid to a witch doctor like Sarah Palin then not tell anyone I didnt agree with that. And teach them it's our duty to bring about Armageddon.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:28 PM

532 posts, read 908,843 times
I absolutely agree with the statement too. The US supports terror, unless it is directed at us and I don't agree with that. In fact, I wish one of the candidates would stand up and say it. I know that would be death to the campaign though since we have to pander to the lowest common denominator.
By the way, I love my country too but I don't think our lives are any more valuable than other citizens in the world. Seems like you rabid McCaininites want America First, Last, and Everything in between. That is very closed minded though- we are a global civilization like it or not.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:33 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Vitriol? I don't understand what you consider to be vitriolic. I think you're confused between the meaning of the word, and your implication that what Rev. Wright said has no business being said in a church of worship. If that's the case, I agree with you. But I suspect it isn't.

In answer to your questions, no, I absolutely would not go back to a church where the preacher mixes politics and religion.

Nor did I return to a church where they kept flashing a huge picture of George W. Bush on the stage screen, with the preacher yelping about how we must support him. (I almost forgot, this is where they cued "God Bless America") Great theatre, ala Stalin, ala Goebels!

Does that kind of obvious manipulation have any business in a church? Aren't people supposed to worship God there, instead of man?

Some morality...

Old 11-03-2008, 01:38 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Better watch the generalities...they're WRONG. They also make you sound like a very small person indeed.

Please--convince me somehow that this common republican mindset and racism/bigotry have NOTHING in common.
You'll be waiting a long time for a relevant answer.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Perhaps Wright should condemn the Spaniards since they started the trade but on no just us big bad white people.

History of Slavery
Okay so if the kid down the street throws a brick through his neighbors' window and you do the same thing does that justify the act or make it ok?

Surely, you can come up with something better than the explanation of a 5 year old of "well they did it first" analogy to justify America's history of enslaving, raping, torturing and murdering human beings simply because they were born black, can't you?

Old 11-03-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
I absolutely agree with the statement too. The US supports terror, unless it is directed at us and I don't agree with that. In fact, I wish one of the candidates would stand up and say it. I know that would be death to the campaign though since we have to pander to the lowest common denominator.
By the way, I love my country too but I don't think our lives are any more valuable than other citizens in the world. Seems like you rabid McCaininites want America First, Last, and Everything in between. That is very closed minded though- we are a global civilization like it or not.
This is one of the truest, best and most profound posts ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections