Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:27 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,558,839 times

Advertisements

Actually nearly 1/2 the state voted against it.

Also, how does gay marriage affect YOU? OMG, the word "marriage" is being used by gay people for the unions. HOW TERRIBLE. Guess what, atheists get married, and call it marriage, too. Do you want to ban marriage for them also?

If civil unions/domestic partnership is good enough for gays, then it's good enough for the straights, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 10:28 AM

870 posts, read 1,628,033 times
so what is your point about nearly 1/2 of the state voting against it. do i need to remind you that the key word there is "NEARLY". the fact is that MORE than half the people voted FOR it. end of story.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:34 AM

1,678 posts, read 2,548,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Actually nearly 1/2 the state voted against it.

Also, how does gay marriage affect YOU? OMG, the word "marriage" is being used by gay people for the unions. HOW TERRIBLE. Guess what, atheists get married, and call it marriage, too. Do you want to ban marriage for them also?
An athiest is not the issue...marriage is between one MAN and one WOMAN. End of story!

Old 11-07-2008, 11:07 AM

48,182 posts, read 22,028,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
hahahah....tyranny of the majority...hahah....so you are saying that a few people in the supreme court should speak for the people instead of having the people speak for themselves by voting just as they did? doesn't make sense.....at all!

Not Me, That's what the Constitution of the United States says! If human and civil rights were dependant on majorities on ballot issues.....women would still not have the vote and blacks would still be legally less than a full person....and schools would still be segregated.

"The gristmills of the gods grind slow but exceeding fine." It will all work out. And this is not the End of Story! What God has put together, let no man put asunder.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:12 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,296,357 times
Actually not the end of the story. In 2000, 61% voted against gay marriage. In 2008, 52% voted against it. Constitutions are fluid and gay marriage will be back in California.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:14 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,032,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
An athiest is not the issue...marriage is between one MAN and one WOMAN. End of story!
So its okay for Britney to get married in Louisiana and get it annulled the next day then marry someone else later on then get divorced.

Or people go to Vegas and decide to get married on the spot??

I thought marriage was sacred? I don't see people protesting these shams.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:18 AM

48,182 posts, read 22,028,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
So its okay for Britney to get married in Louisiana and get it annulled the next day then marry someone else later on then get divorced.

Or people go to Vegas and decide to get married on the spot... talk about a mockery..

why aren't marriage advocates protesting these shams?
That is part of the sanctity of their marriages. Los Vegas Quickies, serial polygamy, abusive relationships and a divorce rate of 50% or more and the ones that last are still characterized by infidelity on the part of both partners. And they want to tell me who to love and what constitutes a real marriage?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:19 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,032,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
That is part of the sanctity of their marriages. Los Vegas Quickies, serial polygamy, abusive relationships and a divorce rate of 50% or more and the ones that last are still characterized by infidelity on the part of both partners. And they want to tell me who to love and what constitutes a real marriage?
Doesn't make sense to me..

sort of like pro-life people who support the death penalty... I never understood that dichotomy

Old 11-07-2008, 11:36 AM

1,678 posts, read 2,548,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

Or people go to Vegas and decide to get married on the spot??

I thought marriage was sacred? I don't see people protesting these shams.
Marriage IS sacred...not to be entered into lightly. I don't condone the Britney's of the world...I do protest...I wouldn't buy anything that has her name attached to it...I turn her off when I see her on TV. But never the less...marriage is still between a Man and a WOMAN.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:39 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,638,902 times
Those damn mormons!! Can't believe they pushed this. 70% of the blacks voting on this voted for the ban, and I bet every one of them was a damn mormon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections