Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:24 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
so that he would have to shake Obama's hand and call him 'Mr. President'.
only for the day when he shakes Obama's hand though.. that one day.
else RIP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 11:43 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I know, I know.

The fact that he endorsed him is only interesting if you believe in the Democrat-Republican paradigm.

I think it will be fun to watch an ex KKK member shake the hand of a black President.

Notice what you said, "ex-kkk member". Byrd himself says that it was something he regrets, and that, way back in the day, anyone with any political ambitions in WV had to be in the KKK, even if they, like Byrd, only joined to be able to say they joined and didn't actually burn crosses on people's lawns.

Byrd, like George Wallace, changed their views and later made amends...heck, as governor, Wallace appointed allot of blacks into his cabinet. Helms on the other hand, died an unrepentent racist.

As a half black man myself, I can respect Wallace and Byrd, because they saw the error of their ways and made amends...Helms? I cannot respect him.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:50 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
FYI--Jesse Helms used to be a Democrat. That is blue, right?
As long as we didn't have a quota stating that certain presidents have to be black, Jesse Helms would have no problem with it. He used to eat breakfast with hobos when his father brought them home for his mother to feed.

Since he was a Christian, I seriously doubt that he is burning in hell right now either. It is amazing to me how so many of you know so much, yet know so little.

It would be an honor for you to ever be half the man Jesse Helms was and do half the things he did for the people of North Carolina. Shame on you!
Are you nuts? The man voted against the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act and tried by force of a 16 DAY fillibuster to prevent the MLK's birthday as a federal holiday. I also seem to remember him literally 'whistling Dixie' to Carol Mosely Braun, a black senator. He was a disgusting racist.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:51 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Notice what you said, "ex-kkk member". Byrd himself says that it was something he regrets, and that, way back in the day, anyone with any political ambitions in WV had to be in the KKK, even if they, like Byrd, only joined to be able to say they joined and didn't actually burn crosses on people's lawns.

Byrd, like George Wallace, changed their views and later made amends...heck, as governor, Wallace appointed allot of blacks into his cabinet. Helms on the other hand, died an unrepentent racist.

As a half black man myself, I can respect Wallace and Byrd, because they saw the error of their ways and made amends...Helms? I cannot respect him.
Possibly. Still doesn't sit right with me.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:52 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,495,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Um. Robert Byrd endorsed Obama.

Sure...............on the "outside'.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:54 PM

279 posts, read 1,014,286 times
What is this!! haha.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:23 PM

37,219 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
I cannot believe someone would actually support or defend Robert Byrd after the language he has used on the floor of congress. Dem or Repub, he should have been censored.
Of course, we have to add the Cheney/Leahy exchange to the bag...

Old 12-31-2008, 06:30 PM

37,219 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
FYI--Jesse Helms used to be a Democrat. That is blue, right?
As long as we didn't have a quota stating that certain presidents have to be black, Jesse Helms would have no problem with it. He used to eat breakfast with hobos when his father brought them home for his mother to feed.

Since he was a Christian, I seriously doubt that he is burning in hell right now either. It is amazing to me how so many of you know so much, yet know so little.

It would be an honor for you to ever be half the man Jesse Helms was and do half the things he did for the people of North Carolina. Shame on you!
Coming from South Carolina I have no hard feelings for Helms.

If I could, I would send him a case of Maurice Bessinger's "Southern Gold" BBQ sauce for he and Thurmond and Wallace and Maddox to rub on each other.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:40 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
Agreed, people can change.
What was the republicans name that made a remark at a private party about the old old old senator? I cannot recall his name, but he was destroyed afterwards. Sorry, minds going blank because I'm trying to recall the details. Do you?
In 2002, at Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday party, Trent Lott (who was the Senate Minority Leader at the time), praised Thurmond for running for president in 1948 and basically said that the country would be better off today if Thurmond had won back then. However, he neglected to mention that Thurmond's entire platform (he ran as the nominee of the Dixiecrat party) was based on explicit racist segregation with no exceptions. Lott had also made similar comments in an interview in the 1980s. He basically threw his political future away to either a) stroke Thurmond's ego or b) he really believed Thurmond's segregation of the races would have made the country a better place. The difference between Lott and Byrd is that Byrd had previously repudiated his former racism while Lott was, in the 21st century, still expressing support for an ideology that would have led to complete segregation and lack of rights for all minorities.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:07 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
That's ok, Sheets Byrd (D) can fill in nicely. In fact, he was an actual member of KKK, a grand dragon at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections