Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 06:51 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Please point out the place, in your link, where it says all this will be REQUIRED....I just couldn't see it...

Plus, in everything else I've read about these plans of Obama's I have never read that he plans to make them mandatory or requirements unless a college student applies for a loan and then, if they chose, would get some kind of break.

H.R. 1388 (The Give Act) passed in the House this Wednesday - it contains the Congressional Commission on Civic Service Act.

Two of this commissions "duties" - to "study":

(5) The effect on the Nation, on those who serve, and on the families of those who serve, if all individuals in the United States were expected to perform national service or were required to perform a certain amount of national service.

(6) Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.

Obama told us last fall that mandatory service for all was his plan - now Congress is following through for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 07:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
H.R. 1388 (The Give Act) passed in the House this Wednesday - it contains the Congressional Commission on Civic Service Act.

(5) The effect on the Nation, on those who serve, and on the families of those who serve, if all individuals in the United States were expected to perform national service or were required to perform a certain amount of national service.

(6) Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.

Obama told us last fall that mandatory service for all was his plan - now Congress is following through for him.
One would think going to mass protests weekly about what our government is doing would satisfy this requirment right?
Going to one of those tea parties being held =3 hours service in my book.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:56 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:

So these are proposals to STUDY something....not laws...

"""Obama told us last fall that mandatory service for all was his plan - now Congress is following through for him"""

Who is "us"...can I see a quote in context???

Old 03-21-2009, 08:12 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So these are proposals to STUDY something....not laws...

"""Obama told us last fall that mandatory service for all was his plan - now Congress is following through for him"""

Who is "us"...can I see a quote in context???
Never heard of incrementalism? It's there in black and white: he wants it mandatory. He's going to do it in increments.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:14 AM

Why "study" something that supposedly is not being considered? ? ?

Old 03-21-2009, 08:38 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
One would think going to mass protests weekly about what our government is doing would satisfy this requirment right?
Going to one of those tea parties being held =3 hours service in my book.
That was a good one.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:40 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Never heard of incrementalism? It's there in black and white: he wants it mandatory. He's going to do it in increments.

Sure, not only heard of it but watched bushCo do it....and the repubs never minded THEN!

Quote:
Why "study" something that supposedly is not being considered? ? ?
Oh, I don't know, to find out stuff???

It's called research, learning....un-Repub stuff, I know, but a good idea. Maybe if they find out enough people don't like the idea they won't do it.

I would be fine with it IF it included everyone and no rich kids got out of it and no poor kids were hurt by it..

Old 03-21-2009, 08:59 AM

Why, pray-tell, would they want to "find out" whether it's feasible to force all Americans to serve the government? ? ? ? ?

Last edited by Ultor; 03-21-2009 at 09:21 AM..

Old 03-21-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
The House just passed a bill which does NOT do that (at least not the way I interpret it - websites on the net say otherwise) but does touch on that. It is to go to the Senate.
H.R. 1388 - Summary: Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act (GovTrack.us)

If I read it correctly, these are not "actions" of the bill but are mentioned as areas of further research.
The Senate committee has approved a similiar but expanded bill.

Quote:
adding 175,000 positions to the AmeriCorps alone. That bill, which triples the size of the program, could reach the Senate floor next week.

The House measure would also create fellowships for people 55 and older and a separate Summer of Service program for middle and high school student volunteers, who would earn a $500 education award to help cover college costs. It also looks for ways to get scientists and veterans more involved in community service. House approves boost to national service programs to get thousands more people involved -- chicagotribune.com

Old 03-21-2009, 09:03 AM

Hmmm, increased volunteers or new paid jobs?

Quote:
"Well, I think it's important that we encourage volunteers, but this is a paid job," said Rep. Virginia Foxx, R-N.C. "This is a government-authorized charity."

The House measure is slated to cost $6 billion over five years. Obama's proposed budget for next year calls for more than $1.1 billion for national service programs, an increase of more than $210 million.

Some AmeriCorps participants get a living stipend while they are working for 10 to 12 months. The stipend ranges from $11,400 to $22,800 for the year. Most participants, who are predominantly 18 to 26 years old, get $11,800. After completing the program, they can receive up to $4,725 to help pay for college or pay off student loans. The bill would increase the education award to $5,350 and requires that it match any future increases in Pell Grant scholarships. House approves boost to national service programs to get thousands more people involved -- chicagotribune.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections