Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 12:23 PM

877 posts, read 2,077,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Nope. It doesn't even IMPLY it.
I think the OP is just making it up - either that or he/she is just passing on something he/she read in some junk chain-mail email.
Sure it does imply it. The term "universal" in referring to the mortgage credit suggests exclusivity, rather than inclusivity.

Given that the language suggests exclusivity, where does Obama promise to not eliminate the mortgage interest deduction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 12:29 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
Sure it does imply it. The term "universal" in referring to the mortgage credit suggests exclusivity, rather than inclusivity.

Given that the language suggests exclusivity, where does Obama promise to not eliminate the mortgage interest deduction?
"Create a Universal Mortgage Credit: Obama and Biden will create a 10 percent universal mortgage credit to provide homeowners who do not itemize tax relief. This credit will provide an average of $500 to 10 million homeowners, the majority of whom earn less than $50,000 per year."

For those who DO NOT ITEMIZE.

[mod cut]

Ken

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-07-2008 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: be nice!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:29 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
That would be impossible, especially for people who are self employed. While banks hold my income, (some of it) the government and banks have no clue what my net or expenses are..

For the average employed individual I could see it, because income is reported, but in reality, they would have to remove deductions for all kinds of things, including medical deductions etc for this to work..
Here's what it says:

Obama and Biden will dramatically simplify tax filings so that millions of Americans will be able to do their taxes in less than five minutes. Obama and Biden will ensure that the IRS uses the information it already gets from banks and employers to give taxpayers the option of pre-filled tax forms to verify, sign and return. Experts estimate that the Obama-Biden proposal will save Americans up to 200 million total hours of work and aggravation and up to $2 billion in tax preparer fees.

I bet H&R Block ain't happy.

For some, it will probably work. For others, maybe not. Sounds like it won't delve into deductions (how could they possibly know?), just reported income. I use TurboTax every year and it comes pre-filled with a lot of info, so it only takes me 20 - 30 minutes to do our taxes, including itemizing (so I probably won't take them up on their offer).

Can someone point me to the mortgage credit part? Never mind, thanks LordBalfor.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:33 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Obama your candidate of choice?
Your wrong. I was against both McCain and Obama and wrote in Ron Paul.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:52 PM

877 posts, read 2,077,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
"Create a Universal Mortgage Credit: Obama and Biden will create a 10 percent universal mortgage credit to provide homeowners who do not itemize tax relief. This credit will provide an average of $500 to 10 million homeowners, the majority of whom earn less than $50,000 per year."

For those who DO NOT ITEMIZE.

Learn to READ.

DUH!!!!

Ken
No, the website says only those who itemize get the tax benefit of mortgage interest deductions. Therefore, in an attempt to provide the tax benefits of mortgage to everyone (including "those who do not itemize"), a universal mortgage tax credit is proposed.

Again, the term "universal" is exclusive of the present tax system, therefore everyone - whether they itemize or not - will receive the $500 tax credit.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:55 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Your wrong. I was against both McCain and Obama and wrote in Ron Paul.
Then I must have mixed you up with another poster. My apologies.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:03 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
No, the website says only those who itemize get the tax benefit of mortgage interest deductions. Therefore, in an attempt to provide the tax benefits of mortgage to everyone (including "those who do not itemize"), a universal mortgage tax credit is proposed.

Again, the term "universal" is exclusive of the present tax system, therefore everyone - whether they itemize or not - will receive the $500 tax credit.
That's not the point. The OP stated specifically that Obama was going to eliminate the mortgage deduction. There is NOTHING that says ANYTHING like that. The mortgage deduction is NOT going away, The "universal mortgage tax credit" is an entirely separate issue.

Ken

Old 11-07-2008, 01:12 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Here's what it says:

Obama and Biden will dramatically simplify tax filings so that millions of Americans will be able to do their taxes in less than five minutes. Obama and Biden will ensure that the IRS uses the information it already gets from banks and employers to give taxpayers the option of pre-filled tax forms to verify, sign and return. Experts estimate that the Obama-Biden proposal will save Americans up to 200 million total hours of work and aggravation and up to $2 billion in tax preparer fees.

I bet H&R Block ain't happy.

For some, it will probably work. For others, maybe not. Sounds like it won't delve into deductions (how could they possibly know?), just reported income. I use TurboTax every year and it comes pre-filled with a lot of info, so it only takes me 20 - 30 minutes to do our taxes, including itemizing (so I probably won't take them up on their offer).

Can someone point me to the mortgage credit part? Never mind, thanks LordBalfor.
Actually, you can do this now, more or less, now. Just check the box to have the IRS figure your tax for you. It isn't a good idea to do that unless you have very simple taxes.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:17 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Then I must have mixed you up with another poster. My apologies.
No need to apologize. There are so many damn postings, threads etc it's easier to just be wrong that to go through hundreds of threads to find out

If the condition of the economy was like this 3 months before the primaries no one would have run for office. I mean who in their right mind wants to take over now?

Old 11-07-2008, 01:29 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Actually, you can do this now, more or less, now. Just check the box to have the IRS figure your tax for you. It isn't a good idea to do that unless you have very simple taxes.
Thanks, didn't know that (not that I would use it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections